How to find parents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to find parents

I am useless when anything that goes back before 1837. Can anyone tell me where to look please?

I want to find the marriage/birth or whatever can be found of John Mackie married to a Sarah. I have them with family in 1851 living in Melbourne in the hamlet of Kings Newton. John Mackie aged 47 and Sarah 41 both born Wilson. Amongst other children they have a daughter Caroline aged 13 born Melbourne (Melbourne is Leicestershire/Derbyshire). I think she was Christened late because I found a possible Christening 9/7/1855 on Family Search. I have been told that John probably married Sarah Worrell but I haven't a clue how to find out or John and Sarah birth details.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

If you got a birth certificate for any of their other children who were born later than Caroline you will get the mother's maiden name.

Caroline's baptism seems to have been done on teh same day as two of her siblings - William Joseph and James
    Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Pre-1837 things are tough for everyone, it doesn't mean they are useless!

There are no birth, marriage or death certs, so the main records are baptism, marriage and burial registers.

These are sometimes online - FamilySearch.org - Family History and Genealogy Records is free and has varied coverage but many thousands of records. FamilyHistoryOnline - searchable databases for family history & genealogy in England, Wales & Australia is payperview so check the databases cover the parish(es) and dates you want before you buy any units.

You can order parish registers on microfilm from your nearest LDS centre for a small fee, to look at there (I think they keep them for 3 weeks for you).

Or you can be brave and go to the relevant records office

The general strategy is to go to the parish where you know events occurred, and search those registers, and then move in an increasing circle from that parish checking all parishes in between.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks Zoe. He married Sarah Worrell but I don't know how to find out when, or when John and Sarah were born etc. Is there a site for 'old stuff' lol other than family search, which doesn't seem to have them?

Comment

See my previous post, Chrissie.

There's also FreeREG - Search UK Parish Register Indices
          which has parish transcriptions, but limited coverage, though it is free.

You might also find snippets on GENUKI: UK & Ireland Genealogy on the relevant parish pages, or by googling.
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thank you Nell. Sorry, only just noticed your reply, we were typing at the same time Will go and have a look at the other sites you have mentioned..

Comment

There's only a handful of other Mackie on teh 1851 census showing as born Wilson.

Two of them have ages that could make the siblings of John - Joseph and Elizabeth, and luckily they're still living with their parents - James aged 70 and Elizabeth aged 66.

They seem to fit in name wise with Johns children so may be worth looking into further as possibles for John's parents.

James Mackie's occupation is farmer of 50 acres so there may also be a Will around which could mention John if he's his son.
              Zoe in London

Comment

I've had a look on my BVRI Cds Chrissie, but there are no Mackie's listed. Sorry can't help.
                Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Thanks you for looking Wendy

That's interesting Zoe. How do I look for a will please?

Comment

Chrisse

Using Documents Online at National Archives site. ALthough I just had a quick look and there's nothing on there. I think it only goes up to 1858 so there's a chance James died later in which case you need to search the National Probate Calendar.
                    Zoe in London

Comment

there's lots of Worralls from Melbourne on other census as well - but too many to see anyone obvious jumping out
                      Zoe in London

Comment

Thanks again Zoe - you have been a great help

Comment

Chrissie, if you know what year James Mackie died then you can check on the Index to Death Duties Register on findmypast to see if he left a will - I think I wrote up some info on how to do it for the wiki under the heading "probate". Of course, the will may not have been proved in the same year he died so you might want to search a few years after his death. If he died before 1858 and left a will then the index will tell you where it was proved so you will know what record office it would be held at.

If you don't know what year he died, then you could still trawl through the Index to Death Duty Registers but it could use up a lot of time and credits.

As Zoe says, if he died after 1858 then you can search the National Probate Calendar - I wrote that up for the Wiki too.
                          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks very much Kate. I have just discovered that he died in 1886 aged 83. I shall now go and check for your suggestions.

Oops - just realised that it's James Mackie death I have to find *blushing*

UPDATE - it looks as though James died 1855, so off to follow instructions
                            Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 01-03-08, 14:32.

Comment

Working...
                            X