My registry has loads of errors.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My registry has loads of errors.

Has anyone used Uniblue Registry Booster? I can download it for £19.95 and it includes System Tweaker. It says it's Microsoft certified. Is this safe to use or will it crash my PC?

My PC is very slow loading and when I ran Norton check up it said there were registry errors. I also seem to have "lost" a file which I need to run Live Messenger. It is msvcr80.dll. Where can I get this from? Every time I switch on my PC, Live Messenger tries to load but then comes up with the missing file. I can still use Messenger though. My son-in-law is my usual PC helper (he works in IT) but he's away at the moment and I can't ask him.

Can anyone help please? Thanks.
    My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

hi sue
    are you using xp ?

Comment

if so - your system has to many programs on the start up menu, to speed it up..

start >
      Run >
      type in - msconfig
      go to start up menu.
      and uncheck the programs that you dont want to load when your pc starts, i normally uncheck all of them.
      click apply.
      then re boot.

Comment

Hi Pat.

Yes I forgot to say, I'm using XP

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

you could also do a disk check and repair.

start >
          My computer >
          Right click and then click on properties.
          click tools >
          click error check.
          and follow instructions.
          this can take a while for the process to check system.

Comment

Re: Missing Files in Microsoft.Net\Framework\v2.050727 - MSDN Forums

Comment

Sue - I hope you don't mind if I ask Pat a question.

Pat - as my PC is very slow to load too, I've just followed your advice above and reached the start up menu. There are loads in there, most of which I don't even recognise. If I uncheck all of them , does that mean I can still access any I need in the normal way i.e. via Start/Programmes?
              Gillian
              User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

One of the worst programs for any computer is Norton. Its junkware.
                Also, as someone suggested, use msconfig to stop loading stuff that doesnt need to be loaded at startup.

Registry errors can be very serious, make sure that you have backed up everything, now.

Depending on which version of windows you have - run the error checking options. Right click on C drive -> properties -> tools and goto error checking option. Click on both.
                Researching Gambrill

Comment

I would not pay on that site you have quoted, if the surgestions above dont fix it, go on microsoft.com and search for a repair answer. you are only being ripped off for money if you that tweak site.

Comment

Yes gillian

you will find some of the programs will force there way back on your start up every few weeks or so. you can always write down what is ticked and reboot, if your not happy with the speeds you can always go back and recheck them so they install again.

Comment

I have 3 progs that load and register in my msconfig.

AVG, Zonealarm, and Mobsync. And thats it.
                      Researching Gambrill

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Pat, I have done a disk check and repair.

Sunday picnic, I have always used Norton, as has the person that built my PC. I have heard that once it is on your PC it is very difficult to remove - a bit like aol!

I have to go out now, but I will be back later and will try your suggestions.

Thankyou.

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Pat - thanks. I'll do that.

Sunday Picnic - my AVG seems to be under the tab "Services" and Zonealarm doesn't show up at all, although it is on my PC?
                          Gillian

Comment

gillian

ok - I personally dont use any security software, just my firewall, my PCs have worked better without them.

Comment

Pat - I'm not sufficiently PC literate to know what the safest way is to ensure my security so I go for belt and braces (not to mention a few dozen safety pins!).
                              Gillian

Comment

You should be very careful what you remove!!!!!!

You should always have some sort of Virus security!!!!!

My son, who works in IT, is shaking his head and tutting!!!:(:(
                                Last edited by WendyPusey; 01-03-08, 09:36.
                                Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Hi,
                                  Download CCleaner from
                                  CCleaner - Home

"CCleaner is a freeware system optimization and privacy tool. It removes unused files from your system - allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space. It also cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history. But the best part is that it's fast (normally taking less than a second to run) and contains NO Spyware or Adware!"

It's easy to use and appears to do the job well.

I've no link with them, just a user.

Bye
                                  Paul

Comment

Be careful, my puter crashed after using a paid for registry cleaning program - it can delete files you need and arent techi enough to realise it.
                                    Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 01-03-08, 18:36.

Comment

Originally posted by Just Gillian View Post
                                      Pat - thanks. I'll do that.

Sunday Picnic - my AVG seems to be under the tab "Services" and Zonealarm doesn't show up at all, although it is on my PC?
                                      Is it under "startup" - thats what matters. If its installed on your PC it will show up in Services, thats fine. But AVG and zone alarm should be listed under "startup". Your Zonealarm might not be there because you might of changed a setting in the program itself. IE - told it not to load at start up.

Just goto prefernces tab on Zonealarm, look down and you'll see "load at start-up' make sure this is ticked.
                                      Researching Gambrill

Comment

Sunday picnic - ZoneAlarm is not listed in startup but is ticked in the ZoneAlarm preferences.

However, looking at the System Config.Utility box, I appear to have "Selective Startup" selected with ticks in the first three boxes in that list, a green square in the "Load startup items" and a green dot in the "use original BOOT INI.

Is that normal?
                                        Gillian

Comment

Working...
                                        X