Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Legacy & Peridically saving. (warning - whining rant)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legacy & Peridically saving. (warning - whining rant)

I'm having a bit of a problem with Lagacy v.6

It doesnt save periodically, and this is really a major flaw in the program for me.

I've been using FTM, which saves every 5 or 10 or 20 mins, or whatever timespan it uses. It also automatically saves everything when you exit the program, without you having to choose what to save or where you want the file to be.

I've gotten used to this and only know realize how good it was, if there is such a thing. lol

Legacy, on the other hand, has caused me to beltch out a few F words and other nasty expletives that i cannot mention Here. There is no periodic saving that legacy does. Also whilst you have the program open, there are 2 options to save.
    "save family file as" - and you enter the name of the file and save
    "backup family file" - and again, you need to enter the name of file each time you save. And then it asks you if you want to back up the Multimedia files. If you click yes then you need to choose the name of the file and it saves.

Also, sometimes when you click exit in Legacy, it wants to save, but it might say it has 3 files it would like to save, and you must save them one at a time, and you need to put in a file name for each save. Also, whilst its doing this, its asking me if i want to save the multimedia files, and so i go through adding a file name each time and in so my blood pressure gets increses. What is this nonsense?

There is no simple way to save on the progam. Having to click, click, click each and every time is a major flaw and i would of never got the prog. if i knew this was the case.

Why isnt there periodic saving - Many programs have this feature, particulcarly 'word' or 'openoffice' - those of which you need to save often whilst you adding important data.

I've lost data several times now on Legacy, and not sure what has happened, but i'm not a happy chappy with this program, at all.

I leave my PC on 24/7, and my legacy is also left on all the time, and need automatic saving.

Am i missing something with legacy? I dont want to go back to my FTM, cause its a very old version.
    Researching Gambrill

Hello Sunday Picnic and welcome to Family Tree Forum!

I use Legacy, having started with their free download then upgrading to the de Luxe version once I had got used to it. I agree the save process is a bit long-winded but I don't leave Legacy on all the time so hadn't thought until now about the lack of an auto-save option.

I have tried FTM but much prefer the Legacy layout etc.

I don't know whereabouts you are, but if you really want to go back to FTM, some of the UK supermarkets usually have the 2007 version available very cheaply. Opinions seem to be mixed anyway on the 2008 version.

There are some much more experienced Legacy users on here, so they may be able to come up with a more useful answer for you.
    Gillian
    User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

problem sorted. thanks.
      Researching Gambrill

Comment

Working...
      X