Looking for John Gleghorne c1680

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for John Gleghorne c1680

In 1701 John Gleghorne, a mariner, lodging at the Red Lion, on Wapping Wall, married Hannah Didcot, of St Paul Shadwell parish. They settled down, just around the corner in Sarah Street, and John became a waterman, the first of 8 generations subsequently.
    In 1688, Sarah Gleghorne got married, as a widow, of the parish of St Paul, Shadwell, at St Katherine by the Tower, which is about half a mile away. I have no evidence what relationship Sarah is to John, although I suspect she's his mother.
    I can find no trace of John's baptism record anywhere within Middlesex or London.
    A surname distribution map shows the Gleghornes to have been prevalent, at this particular time, in the Durham and Northumberland areas. I think it is very likely that John sailed from this coast, until young Hannah caught his eye, and he settled down here.
    Has anybody come across this fella?
    We all run up against a brickwall eventually, and this has been mine, these last 8 years!
    James

Did any of the London ones leave wills? They might possibly give you a clue if they did.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

not that I'm aware of. They were dirt poor, and only paid any form of tax in the middle 19th century
      J

Comment

James:

I have Gleghorns who were Presbyterians from Antrim, N. Ireland in the 18th and 19th centuries. Because of this, I had assumed that the name (in my family at least) originated in Scotland. I haven't yet got around to going back that far with this family.

Ann
        ".... thy memory shall be blest by the children of the children of thy child".
        Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

Hi Ann

It wouldn't surprise me if the Gleghorne's in Durham and Northumberland in the 16th & 17th centuries had come from Scotland, or indeed vice versa.
          The name itself is of Norse origin, meaning 'little horn, or cup', so, with regard to areas under Danelaw, I'd hazard a guess that Northumberland is the center of the name.
          Migration from here to Ireland was of course a well trodden path
          Funny if we're related Ann!
          J

Comment

I'm always on the look out for new relatives James.... it would be funny if there was an Irish connection between us, especially as I also have ancestors from Rotherhithe,Limehouse and Poplar, hence my interest in your Docklands Ancestors site!

My connection to the Gleghorns is actually through my American grandfather.My 3xgreat grandmother, born Jane Gleghorn in Antrim c1811, emigrated to America with her husband and children sometime before 1840.

Ann
            ".... thy memory shall be blest by the children of the children of thy child".
            Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

Working...
            X