Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

are there any other areas with a site like medwaycityark?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• are there any other areas with a site like medwaycityark?

I have had an amazing afternoon browsing the images on cityark website and found a couple of 2nd marriages for some of my Smith families which I had no idea about and found them quite by chance.

For those of you that dont know the site it has most of the parish records digitilised on line for the parishes around medway/dartford/gravesend areas.

I just wondered if there are any sites similar for any other areas?. Dont want to be missng out on anything.lol

I think the short answer to that is "no"! But London Metropolitan Archives are supposed to be digitising their holdings, including, I think, PR's, so maybe in the future...
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

There's this one for Handsworth (W Midlands):
      Baptismal Register

but it's a much smaller selection of just Baptism records, the remainder of images on the site covering a much broader range of material.
      Baptismal Register
      1870 - 1890 (c.)

This exhibition includes examples of Saint Mary's registers of baptisms from the nineteenth century.
      Select the decade you require by clicking on the image appearing on the right.

Please be aware of the usual problems with transcribing names and also watch out for dates running slightly out of sequence as the vicar seems to have added names retrospectively.

Our grateful thanks to the parish of St Mary's for allowing us to upload these images.
      Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

aww shame I dont have any branches in Handsworth.

Just had a look and its nothing like the scale of cityark

Comment

That's right. I'd hoped there might have been some of mine - but they were non-conformists, anyway, so wouldn't have appeared in the CofE records.

It would have been nice, from our perspective, had there been more. From the point of view of local historians, it may be that they think it's better this way, as there are all sorts of images on the site, and a budget will only stretch so far.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

hi

Theres this one for Gloucestershire - not huge but there all the same

Scribe's Alcove
            WendyP

Comment

that one looks quite good Wendy as there is a search engine. Tehe city ark one you have to scroll through them all to find what you are looking for so it helps if you have a definate place and date.

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                I think the short answer to that is "no"! But London Metropolitan Archives are supposed to be digitising their holdings, including, I think, PR's, so maybe in the future...

Oooh, is that a promise Kate? I can't wait for that.. but maybe I shouldn't hold my breath.

Ann
                ".... thy memory shall be blest by the children of the children of thy child".
                Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

Working...
                X