harold oakes b 1890 liverpool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• harold oakes b 1890 liverpool

good morning....i have had contact from new zealand asking whether harold oakes b 1890 liverpool is part of my family......i don`t have harold in my tree,but if i could find him in the 1901 census with his parents,i might be able to connect him to my family...evidently harold oakes married georgina ravenswood in liverpool,and they moved to new zealand.......any help would be appreciated.......regards....allan (oakes)
    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Harold B Oakes abt 1889 Urmston, Lancashire, England Grandson Flixton, Lancashire
    G/father seems to be a George
    Also inthe household...
    Charlotte 27
    Florence 20
    George 69
    James 26
    John 22

Harold Oates
    son of Arthur,& Annie born abt 1892 Salford, Lancashire, England Son Salford, Lancashire

two very similar-both 1901
    -----------------------------------------------
    in 1891 the same one is a grandson and is with

Annie 21
    Charlotte 17
    Florence 10
    George 59
    Harold 2 <<<<
    Mary 54
    Mary 28
    Nellie 14
    Rhoda 23
    Sarah 25

Hes born Urmston
    Living in Flixton
    Last edited by Jessbowbag; 29-02-08, 06:43.
    Jess

Comment

best fit birth is this one, but there are others all a bit off yearwise/placewise

Harold Ignatius Oakes 1892 Apr-May-Jun West Derby Lancashire
      or
      Percy Harold Oakes 1891 Apr-May-Jun West Derby Lancashire
      Last edited by Jessbowbag; 29-02-08, 06:52.
      Jess

Comment

thanks very much jess....he`s no relation,but i can pass on your info to his rellie...much appreciated...allan
        Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire

Comment

The marriage shows up on Lancashire Births Marriages & Deaths in 1914 (West Derby, Register Office or Registrar Attended).

Incidentally - and I'll put this on the local BMD Updates thread - Lancs BMD has started to allow forenames now instead of just initials.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

thanks christine...i`ve just sent the reg to new zealand .info from lancs bmd....allan;)

Comment

The Oakes I am trying to find is either Harold Vincent Bernard Merritt Oakes b1879 place unknown and his wife Mabel Elizabeth Wilson (Oakes) birth date unknown. I believe they came to New Zealand from the UK around the 1900's and settled in Wellington New Zealand - there could have been two children Mabel Winifred Oakes and Marjory Lavinia Oakes. Harold died in New Zealand in 1959 aged 80 years. In 1911 the couple lived in Myrtle Street Wellington - I believe he was a returned servicemen - he could have been a bandsmen playing a clarinett in Wellington - His name appears in the Wellington District Court records...
              Does anyone have any links to these persons whom I would like to make contact

Comment

Welcome to the forum.

You have said the name is either Harold Vincent Bernard Merritt Oakes - what is the or?

Do you have any ages for the daughters so we can see if they have been born in the UK or not?

Margaret
                Last edited by margaretmarch; 15-07-12, 08:42.

Comment

The two people that I would like to find and clarify their trip to New Zealand and thereafter are
                  Harold Vincent Bernard Merritt Oakes and his wife Mabel Elizabeth Oakes (Wilson) more importantly Mabel Elizabeth - as she is the sister of my great grandfather. He was born in Hobart Tasmania 1854 (could be he was a convict) he married a Mary Ann Philpot in Wellington NZ, but I believe his sister could have been living in London -
                  The daughters of Harold and Mabel are...
                  1. Mabel Winifred Oakes b1907 New Zealand
                  2. Marjory Lavinia b1909 New Zealand -

any info would be appreciated

Phil

Comment

Presumably Harold Vincent Bernard Merritt Oakes was born before the suggested 1890 then.
                    17 sounds a little young to have married/emigrated ( In whichever order he did) AND had a daughter
                    Jess

Comment

if harold died in new zealand, his death cert should tell where he was born. his wife's should have hers too, if she died in new zealand, and you don't know where she was born.

Comment

Here is the marriage in New Zealand:

1906/4427 Mabel Elizabeth Wilson Harold Vincent Merritt Oakes
                        Elizabeth
                        Research Interests:
                        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

And Harold's birth in NZ??

1879/1296 Oakes Harold Vincent Merrett
                          Mother - Maria Teresa
                          Father - Thomas

Comment

There is a H Oakes leaving London for Wellington on 28/7/1903. He is male, single and a Bandsman. Ship name Gothic

Comment

And possibly Mabel's - also in NZ??

1882/14930 Wilson Mabel Elizabeth
                              Mother - Mary Ann
                              Father - John

Comment

Just looked at the image and he is with a load of other bandsmen so looks like they are on tour??

Comment

Originally posted by Jessbowbag View Post
                                  Presumably Harold Vincent Bernard Merritt Oakes was born before the suggested 1890 then.
                                  17 sounds a little young to have married/emigrated ( In whichever order he did) AND had a daughter
                                  The one biggles is looking for was born 1879 so a better fit for the circs. Not sure why the query is attached to this thread - maybe it should be a separate one to avoid confusion.
                                  Margaret

Comment

Hi Biggles.....my name is allan oakes....and I have a huge Oakes family tree with about 50 in Garston ,Liverpool ...now I need a little delving
                                    1873 at St Michaels church, Garston,Liverpool
                                    Daniel Oakes married Mary Ann MERRICK ....and they had 13 children ...obviously you are talking about 1879 birth of Harold Vincent MERRIT Oakes - father Thomas in New Zealand....could that possibly have been MERRICK insted of MERRITT ?..I am off now to check for Thomas Oakes the father ...I will post the brother of my Daniel when I have checked my tree ...allan

Comment

My GG Grandfather Daniel Oakes who married Mary Ann Merrick in Garston,Liverpool in 1873...Daniel was born in 1849 in Neston ,Cheshire ...this is across the River Mersey from Liverpool...
                                      he had an older brother Thomas Oakes b 1843 in Neston
                                      Daniel Oakes / Mary Ann Merricks first born of 13 children was Thomas Oakes b 1874 Garston ,Liverpool....presumably named after Daniels elder brother - so - I need to see if my Thomas Oakes b 1843 possibly married a Maria Teresa ?
                                      allan

Comment

Thanks everyone for their assistance - I have just found in our newspaper archives a photo of a fairly large Band taken in Wellington New Zealand a name associated with this band is Harold Vincent Bernard Merrit Oakes so I believe that ties in with what FRAZZLED has come up with. I have also come across another paper cutting in regards to my grandfather John Philpot Wilson who was found guilty of thief and his associate in crime was a Harold Oakes (which could/would most likely be his brother-in-law) as mentioned there were two daughters of Harold and Mabel Elizabeth (Wilson) Oakes born in New Zealand and I will set out to find these two and their families.

To Allan lets keep in touch as I am sure we have some connection there and I can send you these paper cuttings if you require. As of note; Maria Teresa Oakes b1840 and I have her birth as possibly Clerkenwell, London. I have looked through most of my info on Harold Bernard and his names are more often only referred to as: Harold Bernard Oakes (Army)

Comment

Working...
                                        X