For anyone who is bored. Scotland.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For anyone who is bored. Scotland.

I'm doing OH's Scottish side and have come to a stop.

I am looking at Catherine Walker Clark born1829/30 Fife.

I've got her on the 1841 census, civil parish..Leuchars.
    Father....John
    Mother...Mary
    Siblings....Andrew, Mary,Elpeth and James.

1851.. I have family without Catherine.
    1861.....ditto.

I know Catherine married Robert Morris (haven't found when) They had a daughter....Mary Ann Walker Clark born 1860 in Dundee. Don't know of other children. This family come to Australia before 1884 as Mary Ann marries in Australia then.

If anyone can find any more on any of these people....
    Robert Morris (Catherine's husband) was born about 1790 son of William Morris and Helen Fairful. I have Robert on the 1841 St Andrews.
    That one is odd because there is a Helen Morris (his wife) and Helen Fairful, same age??

As I said, only if you're bored, but I'd be very grateful.

Thanks.

1841 has William Morris b1800 with Helen Morris and Helen Fairful. Is that the right one?
    Tracy

Comment

Yes Tracy.

That's the "odd" one. Robert Morris married helen Fairful in 1828. They have listed a Helen Morris as his wife (which would be corrct), but who is that Helen Fairful????

I know my Grants named their children all the same, but can't believe others did as well LOL.

Comment

Found them in 1861!

Robt Morris 26 Head
        Ceth Morris 28 Wife
        *Wm Morris 5 Son (no POB)
        M A W Morris 2 Mo Daur
        James Clark 21 Boarder

Parish: Dundee; ED: 16; Line: 21; Year: 1861
        Page 82
        Registration Number: 282/1

I know my Grants named their children all the same, but can't believe others did as well LOL.
        Scots tend to call all their kids the same thing - using the naming tradition.

There's a birth for William on the IGI. 15 Dec 1855 Markinch, Fife
        Last edited by Orangeblossom; 28-02-08, 22:02.
        Tracy

Comment

I wonder if the two Helen's are the same person. There is no match on ScotlandsPeople.
          Have you viewed the census image?
          Tracy

Comment

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I sort of understand the naming tradition.....but.....my Grants named ALL the daughters Isabell Gordon Grant and ALL the boys Robert Gordon Grant, in one family.
            I can understand why. They intermarried so much I think they WERE following the naming tradition LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Orangeblossom View Post
              I wonder if the two Helen's are the same person. There is no match on ScotlandsPeople.
              Have you viewed the census image?
              No Tracy......haven't seen the image. I'm terrified of Scotland's People.LOL.

I thought they might be the same person.

I need to have someone sit with me while I use SP to show me what to do. I really don't understand the "page" etc.

I have just used Ancestry.

Comment

There's a Catherine Clark (transcribed Catherene) on page 14 in 1851. A servant. Born St Andrews.
                Parish: St Andrews; ED: 6; Line: 14; Year: 1851.
                Parish No 453
                Last edited by Orangeblossom; 28-02-08, 22:18.
                Tracy

Comment

SP is brilliant for all things Scottish. You must give it a go

That must get confusing with those Grants lol

I'm off to bed now. Will have another look tomorrow
                  Last edited by Orangeblossom; 28-02-08, 22:26.
                  Tracy

Comment

Libby - for the one Tracy found in 1861 - on SP all you need to do is put Morris in the first search box, Robert in the second and age range 26 and 26. I only had enough credits to look at the search result, not the image, but it's definitely the right one.
                    Gillian
                    User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Thank you Gillian.

I think that's what I'm scared of....using all the credits before I get the correct one. I have used the free search and found thousands of "maybes". I must try again.

Tracy... the 1851 is correct. Thank you. The Lou family she is with is actually Low. In 1861 Catherines parents have a Mary Low (aged 2 months) as a grand daughter. Must be family Catherine's working for.

Comment

Libby - I wasted a small fortune on SP, because of the very limited search options, before the censi were transcribed on Ancestry!
                        Gillian

Comment

OK....will give it a go. I'm a big girl now LOL....

Comment

Don't waste credits struggling. Just shout if you get stuck.
                            Gillian

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
                                I know Catherine married Robert Morris (haven't found when) They had a daughter....Mary Ann Walker Clark born 1860 in Dundee. Don't know of other children. This family come to Australia before 1884 as Mary Ann marries in Australia then.

Was Mary Ann's full name Mary Ann Walker Clark Morris? Shame she was born in 1860 because Scottish birth certificates from 1861 onwards (also for 1855 only) have the date and place of the parents' marriage on. If she did have any younger brothers and sisters born in Scotland then you should be able to download their birth certificates to get the marriage details. Do you have Robert, Catherine and Mary Ann on the 1871 census? Or had they emigrated by then?
                                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

1841 image says Helen Fairful or Morris. 6 kids. Do you want them?
                                  Sheila

Taking a pause from tripping the light fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by Dancing Sheila View Post
                                    1841 image says Helen Fairful or Morris. 6 kids. Do you want them?

Sheila.....thank you. I have the one from Ancestry whish gives BOTH Helen Fairful and Helen Morris (as sisters???).

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                                      Was Mary Ann's full name Mary Ann Walker Clark Morris? Shame she was born in 1860 because Scottish birth certificates from 1861 onwards (also for 1855 only) have the date and place of the parents' marriage on. If she did have any younger brothers and sisters born in Scotland then you should be able to download their birth certificates to get the marriage details. Do you have Robert, Catherine and Mary Ann on the 1871 census? Or had they emigrated by then?

KiteRunner.....

Yes that's the Mary Ann....and she MAY have been born 1861. She is on the 1861 census as 2 months old, so I'm off to see when 1861 census for Scotland was taken.

Can't find 1871. Not sure when they came here, I can't find any record of them coming at all. I know Mary Ann married here in 1884 and her parents died here in 1903. The death certs should have how long they'd been here but they don't.

Comment

Definitely only one Helen!! Kids are John 21, William 12, Helen 10, Margaret 8, Robert 6, James 1.

Mary Ann was born 24 August 1860 at 6 St Andrews St, Dundee.
                                        Sheila

Taking a pause from tripping the light fantastic.

Comment

Working...
                                        X