• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't believe everything on Inscriptions

Vicky

They probably got a good deal on the price. LOL

Comment

as its so recent (relatively speaking) when people were literate, I wonder whether it was deliberate
      Vicky

Comment

That does say My Dear Mother, doesn't it?

lol
        Tracy

Comment

its actually registered Sept Q 1955, which strikes me as a bit late for a death in either Feb or March.
          Vicky

Comment

Originally posted by Orangeblossom View Post
            That does say My Dear Mother, doesn't it?

lol
            sorry not terribly clear on the photo, I think it says brother
            Vicky

Comment

Brother! lol

Odd that his death wasn't registered until Q3!! pmsl!

Comment

February the 30th????

OC

Comment

Also odd that the B in Feb is a little higher than the other letters......maybe the stone mason went to the pub in his lunch break?!!!

Erm.....did you take the photo, Vicky???? :(:D

Comment

yes Merry, all my own work LOL

I went to take a pic of the church & remembered someone mentioning this inscription, so I went & looked for it.

The photo is genuine & unretouched, and I am pretty sure it does say Feb 30th, even tho the pic isn't the clearest.
                    Last edited by Vicky the Viking; 28-02-08, 19:01.
                    Vicky

Comment

Do you think someone coud have vandalised/tampered with since it was put it?

Or the people that bought it never actually saw it in-situ and the inscriber was thankful for that.

Comment

Maggie, I did wonder if it should read "Sep" rather than Feb - the p or b has worn so its difficult to tell, but the first letter is definitely F rather than S and I don't see how it could have been altered.

But even if it should read "Sep", its still registered Sep Quarter, so whoever registered the death would have had to get in pretty sharpish. Can I justify spending £7 on a whim, when its not even anything to do with me!

I was told about this some time ago during a church open day. The church wardens and local history people know about it, at the time I didn't ask the right questions about it, but everyone seems to think its been like that all the time its been there.

As for rellies seeing it, as it says "my dear brother", I am assuming he was unmarried, and presumably his brother would also have been quite elderly so perhaps didn't live long enough to do anything about it.

There are other Tomlinsons in this graveyard but I'm not sure I want to try to construct a tree for them!
                        Vicky

Comment

Vicky, I have got some death certificates where the death was registered on the same day as it happened, so it is possible that it was Sep 30.
                          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

was 1955 not a lunar year????
                            lol
                            I thought the earth moved at a slightly different pace to the calendar so every so often we need an estra day to compensate????

But its true that you can never believe everything on a headstone. My brothers head stone reads loving husband and daddy. He was never married or had children....

Comment

1955 wasn't a leap year, and even if it was, the date could only have been 29 Feb not 30th.

It could be the month that is wrong - which might explain the "late" registration.
                              ~ with love from Little Nell~
                              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Perhaps the sister was a bit dippy and got cross when the stonemason queried the details?

The customer is always right, you know.

My dad wanted the words "Life is short" on his stone.

When I went to view it, it said

"Life is SHOT"

(Just grateful they chose the correct vowel)

OC

Comment

Are you sure it was the correct vowel, OC?

I make no apologises for repeating this Alan Bennett tale (told in a Yorkshire accent)
                                  A Yorkshireman's wife died and he ordered a tombstone. He discussed the engraving with the stonemason and decided upon the lady's name, dates and "She was thine".
                                  A week later, the man went to inspect the headstone. It said "she was thin". "oh, you've forgotten the E" he said. The stonemason apologised and promised to have the error corrected. Next week the widower returned to find the inscription read "E, she was thin".
                                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Vicky

Comment

OH reckons that some people regard March as an unlucky month (like 13th and Friday), and that it's possibly a reinterpretation of 1st or, probably, 2nd March.

Christine
                                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Oh, Nell! I'm still chuckling about that one! :D

It'll be plaguing me all evening, I just know it - I'll be grinning all through whatever 'doom' programmes are on TV tonight!

Bee.
                                        Bee~~~fuddled.

Searching for BANKS, MILLER, MOULTON from Lancs and Cheshire; COX from Staffordshire and Birmingham;
                                        COX, HALL, LAMBDEN, WYNN, from Hants and Berks; SYMES (my mystery g'father!) from anywhere near Bournemouth.

Comment

Working...
                                        X