Family History Handbook?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family History Handbook?

According to the Barnsley website, I need to look in this book to find out where the Anglican parish registers are held outside Barnsley.

Does anyone have a copy who would be willing to do a quick look for me please?
    I'm looking at Worsborough, Silkstone, Felkirk and Barnsley.

Thanks
    Tracy

Doesn't Genuki give any hints?
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

That just says Barnsley. I can't really travel that far yet, so I'm hoping they've got some near mum or me.
      Tracy

Comment

Your best bet would be your nearest LDS centre; they've microfilmed loads of parish records, and you can view them at their centres.

You can find the address here:

FamilySearch.org - Family History Centers

and look at their catalogue to see which records have been microfilmed:

FamilySearch.org - Family History Library Catalog

Comment

Originally posted by Orangeblossom View Post
          That just says Barnsley. I can't really travel that far yet, so I'm hoping they've got some near mum or me.
          Are you sure? I'm looking at Genuki for Worsborough and there's a great long list of places (well, six!!)

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
            Are you sure? I'm looking at Genuki for Worsborough and there's a great long list of places (well, six!!)
            You must be looking at something different to me, Merry. Where is the list?
            Tracy

Comment

GENUKI: Darfield

Comment

I don't get it... you'll have to spell it out for me... I don't see any places.
                Tracy

Comment

From GENUKI: Darfield

"The Ancient Parish of DARFIELD

[Transcribed information from the early 1820s]
                  "DARFIELD, a parish-town, lower-division of Strafforth and Tickhill; 5 miles E. of Barnsley, 10½ from Doncaster, 42 from York. Pop. 512. The Church is a rectory, dedicated to All-Saints (see Churches for photograph), value, £53. 1s. 8d. and a vicarage, ~£14. 11s. 7d. p.r. £90. Patron of the rectory, the Rev. H. Cooke; and of the vicarage, Trinity College, Cambridge."

Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page. Ardsley Balk Bank Top Billingley Billingley Green Burntwood Lodge Edderthorpe Great Houghton Hemmingfield Hill Top Kendall Green Lewden Little Houghton Middlewood Hall Nether Wood Hall New Hall Oldham Mill Ouslethwaite Overwood Hall Rockley Abbey Round Green Smithley Stairfoot Swaithe Hall Tyersall Views Wass Lane Head Wombwell Wombwell Wood Head Worsbrough"
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

If you look at this page for Worsborough:

GENUKI: Darfield parish registers, Worsborough Chapelry: Dates and current locations etc.

It tells you where there are copies of transcripts and indexes as well as where the registers are held etc. but the name of each place where something is held is shown as an abbreviation and there is a link on that page you have to click on to find out what the abbreviations mean (actually, you click on the link and when the page loads you click on "Abbreviations").

There will very likely be something similar for each of the other parishes on your list.
                    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

This is the one for Silkstone parish:

GENUKI: Silkstone parish registers: Dates and current locations etc.

Felkirk:

GENUKI: Felkirk parish registers: Dates and current locations etc.

Barnsley:
                      GENUKI: Silkstone parish registers, Barnsley Chapelry: Dates and current locations etc.
                      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Now it makes a little more sense. Thanks

Looks like they're held at York too. Not sure that's any better though lol
                        Tracy

Comment

Working...
                        X