Query re divorce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Query re divorce

If a woman divorced in the 1990s and then remarried, what should her status be on the new marriage cert, if the woman went back to her maiden name and 'Miss' status?
    Tracy

Hi Tracy, just checked my marriage cert, 1994 & condition is 'divorced'.
    The only indication that the name I married in was not my previous married name is my fathers name.

I had a specific reason for not wanting my married name on the cert, it was the same as his first wifes maiden name! :( No relation though.:D
    Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

It doesn't matter what name a person is using......it should still say for condition; divorced, or previous marriage dissolved (or similar)

Comment

I think they have very very recently changed the rules so that it will just say "single" but I'm not sure if it has taken effect yet.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

So, would annullment be indicated by "previous marriage dissolved"?
          Gillian
          User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Thanks guys. So it should says she's been married before.

Will have to wait till next year to get the cert lol
            Tracy

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
              I think they have very very recently changed the rules so that it will just say "single" but I'm not sure if it has taken effect yet.
              I believe the rule change to use the term "single" is meant to replace Spinster and Bachelor and that "previous marriage disssolved" or "divorced" should still appear where it applies.
              Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I don't think so, I'm pretty sure that the idea is that it won't say if they have been married before. I'll google around later and check but I must go out now.
                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by Just Gillian View Post
                  So, would annullment be indicated by "previous marriage dissolved"?
                  No, I think the condition would be as it would have been had the annulled marriage had never happened.

Comment

Thanks Merry.
                    I knew that from a religious standpoint it would be considered that the marriage had never taken place, but wasn't sure what the legal view would be.
                    Gillian

Comment

Gillian, I think its the case in civil law as well (not that I've ever knowingly seen a cert completed under these circumstances!!)

Comment

An annulled marriage is one which never took place in the eyes of the church and the state. There is no event to record. You go back to your previous state, widow or single or legally divorced from a marriage previous to the annulment.

But as with all certs - they only record what someone told the registrar, which is not necessarily the truth.

OC

Comment

I can't imagine that if you are divorced it would record anything other than "divorced" on the marriage cert, regardless of what surname you use at the time, unless you weren't being truthful.

How else could they compile all those stats about the number of divorced people who remarry etc.?
                          ~ with love from Little Nell~
                          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

That's what I was trying to get at, Nell - if they said 'single' would they be lying.

I'll find out soon ;)
                            Tracy

Comment

Thanks Merry and OC.
                              Gillian

Comment

Working...
                              X