Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Hello everyone,

Hope someone might have a few suggestions for me!

My 4x great grandfather, William Boothby, died in London in 1839. In his will, he had some cottages in Heacham, Norfolk, which he left to my 3x great grandfather.

Recently through Genes Reunited I have met someone who descends from a Boothby from Heacham, and I suspect we may have a common ancestor. She sent me an excerpt from the Norfolk Chronicle whereby a Wacey Dunham auctions land in 1782 to pay his debtors - one of the bits of land is being occupied by a William Boothby who I suspect could have been my 5x great grandfather (maybe he bought the land?). The lady I met descends from a 'Wesey' Boothby whose mother has the maiden name Dunham - she thinks he may be brother to my 4x great grandfather William.

I know this might be a bit vague but does anyone have any idea how I might go about proving the link?
    Researching Harris, Mason, Murray, Dickson and Denovan in Scotland, Drury and Brady in Ireland, and Boothby, Gower, Waghorn, Blyth and Humphrey in England.

Through parish baptism registers which will confirm parentage. You need to go back till you find a common ancestor for William and Wesey, if there is one.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I'm fairly new to family research and don't really have any experience with English Old Parish Registers. After a wee google I saw that The Genealogist website has a lot of them online - is it worth a subscription?

Thanks for your help.
      Researching Harris, Mason, Murray, Dickson and Denovan in Scotland, Drury and Brady in Ireland, and Boothby, Gower, Waghorn, Blyth and Humphrey in England.

Comment

You'll find a great deal of the Norfolk Parish registers can only be accesses at the Norfolk records Office.

They're very precious about them and strict on companies doing transcriptions - which is one reason why their coverage in the IGI is limited.

The NRO is lovely for a visit though as it's in Norwich and the hotels can be an absolute bargain.
        Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

If you look in our Wiki - click the tab on the menu at the top of the screen - you will find info to help you get started.

I wouldn't personally recommend The Genealogist.

Parish records online are a bit hit and miss. There are a couple for Norfolk, though they don't have anything for Heacham.
          Norfolk Transcription Archive is no longer active, but it does have some extracts which might include information relevant to you.
          the other one is Norfolk Baptism Project which is ongoing.
          Google them to find the sites.
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks for the help - I'll check out those sites, otherwise I guess a trip to Norfolk is in order, not sure when I'll manage that!

Comment

Originally posted by samesizedfeet View Post
              You'll find a great deal of the Norfolk Parish registers can only be accesses at the Norfolk records Office.

They're very precious about them and strict on companies doing transcriptions - which is one reason why their coverage in the IGI is limited.

The NRO is lovely for a visit though as it's in Norwich and the hotels can be an absolute bargain.
              As I understand it, and we must have had several changes of bishop since I first heard this, it was the local bishop who refused to allow the Mormons to put Norfolk entries on the IGI because he did not hold with the Mormon practice of rebaptising the dead.

Certainly, if you look at the IGI, even the extracted entries for Norfolk come, not from the original registers, but early transcripts.
              Phoenix - with charred feathers
              Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Working...
              X