No announcement yet.

Has anyone explored bankruptcy records?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone explored bankruptcy records?

Adams Edwards (my favourite ancestor, as a potted biography got me started on this lark some little while back) was a bankrupt

This explains why he was always downsizing his business, rather than being able to retire on the profits and why his daughter was married to a gardener, while her first cousin listed theatre going and travelling as his pasttimes in Whos Who. It also explains why all the stories that survive involve money.

Surfing the London Gazette last night, I got the goods on when he was made bankrupt, but not why. Is any paperwork likely to survive?
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

This interests me too Phoenix and I've found this page of results from TNA site. There might be something in there that's helpful.

Search | Results

Comment

Thank you, Helen, that is just what I feared. My man went bust in 1868, just before the system was reformed and it looks as if survivng records were in the Devon Record Office. If God is good, they will have been transferred there after WW2 and survive intact. Why do I suspect that they were either shredded, or went up in smoke in WW2, like the wills did?
      Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Ooh! That would be a shame :o

Comment

Merry found my great grandfathers bankruptcy court case in the Times

Comment

Thank you for that suggestion, Val. I'll have a go when I've next got access to the site. Armed with dates, it should be easier than grand trawls. Though whether Adams would rank sufficient interest, I don't know.

Comment

Working...
            X