Further to my e-mail from Islington Reg. Office

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Further to my e-mail from Islington Reg. Office

I replied saying I couldn't see how the GRO could help when the marriage I wanted to find wasn't in their indexes, and perhaps Islington Reg Office could look in their own index.

Swift reply today: "The General Registry Office are really the people who will be able to assist you."
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Nell, why not use the reply function with a message

HOW?

in as large a font as you can
    and copy your reply to the Chief Exec of Islington Borough?

Perhaps that might initiate a change of attitude;)

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
      I replied saying I couldn't see how the GRO could help when the marriage I wanted to find wasn't in their indexes, and perhaps Islington Reg Office could look in their own index.

Swift reply today: "The General Registry Office are really the people who will be able to assist you."
      My God are these people for real???
      You must be at end of your tether with them.

Originally posted by Roger in Sussex View Post
      Nell, why not use the reply function with a message

HOW?

in as large a font as you can
      and copy your reply to the Chief Exec of Islington Borough?

Perhaps that might initiate a change of attitude;)
      :D I agree with Roger!!
      With Experience comes Realisation

Comment

Nell, How do you know they married at Islington?

Do you know that Islington have their own cross-venue marriage indexes? If not then they may have dozens and dozens of registers to look in :o

I do agree that they shouldn't be directing you to the GRO though! I expect that is just their standard reply!!!

I presume the marriage in the groom's name (sorry I've forgotten it now!) in Q1 1879 (I think it was?) is too early and someone else? Just that I couldn't see an obvioius candidate for that groom in 1881.

Comment

Merry

I don't know that they married in Islington, but I just think it likely as they are living in Greenwich in 1881 on census as married, and I would guess Emma would have married before moving (I can't see her moving to an unfamiliar part of London with 2 children and no income, and then marrying). It seems more likely that her 2nd husband was a lodger and that;s how they met. There was a railway works in Holloway, where Emma was living, and her sister's husband worked there, so I think it likely John worked there first as he was an engine driver.

I just want to eliminate the possibilities. I thought all register offices had their own indexes - sorry if this isn't right.

I know the marriage would have been after 2nd q of 1879 as Thomas Matthews, 1st husband died 1st May 1879. I have checked various churches in Islington, but there are gazillions of them, and it doesn't help that I haven't traced baptisms for any of Thomas & Emma's children, which might make the marriage venue likely.
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
          X