Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wouldn't threaded census be a wonderful thing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wouldn't threaded census be a wonderful thing.

How great would it be if Ancestry had a fit of generosity and linked census entries for the same family, or allowed us to do so?

This pipe dream has been prompted by the prospect of matching off all the Thomas Bells in 1841 against all the Thomas Bells in 1851. The remaining unmatched one in 1841 will be mine!

OC

lol OC - that would be brilliant! Perhaps we should all mail them to ask the question? If enough people ask, they may consider it.

I, too, have spent many hours comparing one census to another hoping to track down an elusive relative or two.
    Tracy

Comment

Well, at least it would help sort the wheat from the chaff - anything left unlinked would be worthy of a good rummage for missing relatives.

OC

Comment

As long as it doesn't end up like those GR messages,

"Is this your relative?"

followed by an 1851 census record for someone called Mary Jones who is a married lady, whilst Mary Jones on your own tree is single!

I wonder how many people get confused by these messages? Only yesterday OH was trying to help someone who had added all women to his tree with their married names.......

Ancestry census transcripts don't include the marital status of the people, so I bet the linking system would go very wrong indeed! Oh, unless they had a VERY CLEVER person in charge........I nominate OC!!!

Comment

I think its a great idea, my Titchmarsh's would be sorted in no time, But I don't envy the poor person who would have to sort out the John Smiths' or William Williams'

But you have my vote to OC ;)
          Vikki -
          Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

Har very har, Merry! I shall not live long enough, keen as I am to take on this task.

Actually, I don't see it as impossible, just time consuming. A hyperlink next to an individual's name, leading to all the censuses he has been found on DEFINITELY.

Many of my ancstors lived at the same address for several census and are very easy to find. It is not so easy to find their married sons and daughters though and that is where threaded census would come in very handy.

I'll just wait here quietly, then, shall I?

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
              I'll just wait here quietly, then, shall I?
              I doubt that will ever happen! :p

Comment

The idea's good in theory, but just think of all the mistakes that people would make, which you'd then have to untangle.

Comment

OC

Yes, I've thought it would be great. Problem is that the chances of any family being correctly transcribed on all censuses is remote indeed.
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                    Actually, I don't see it as impossible, just time consuming. A hyperlink next to an individual's name, leading to all the censuses he has been found on DEFINITELY.

Think the problem would be defining DEFINITELY. If one of us has found him, then of course it will be right, but we can't vouch for others who maybe aren't so careful with their research... I've certainly got plenty of contacts who have traced somebody back to the wrong parents!
                    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

well if somebody could link all the Butler familys from 1861 to 1871. I would be enternally grateful as it would maybe reveal a mother or father for my Maria Butler:D

Comment

We would of course be able to post those little yellow triangles, where we could say things like:

"What rubbish! This cannot be the right woman as my great great grandma definitely died in 1868 and could not possibly be in the insane asylum after that"

OC

Comment

Lovely! "James is clearly meant to be Jane, as the age is in the female column!"

Comment

In theory it would be a great idea. But I cringe at the prospect of some of the "researchers" I've encountered being able to put in "definite" links.

Canada has a 1901/1911 link system on their free-to-access census site. But their censi are more detailed than ours so presumably there is less room for error.
                            Gillian
                            User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Of course it would help if Ancestry had a standardised system for recording birthplaces correctly!

Comment

It would have helped if the people filling in the forms had one of those, Nell...
                                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

It would also help if the Ancestry Scottish censi hadn't been transcribed by Martians!
                                  Gillian

Comment

JG

don't you mean Hontios?

OC

Comment

Lolol Oc!!

That's odd - I was trying to indicate a huge chortle by doing my lolol in caps - and it has been automatically changed to lower case, including the "C" :D
                                      Last edited by Just Gillian; 27-02-08, 23:52.
                                      Gillian

Comment

OC - You have acually spoke some sense for once LOL.
                                        Brilliant idea, but would it work ??

Comment

Working...
                                        X