Thomas died 1947 Petrolia Ontario Canada
    Don't know when Thosmas married
    child
    HArry Elmer Bicknell 1889 Petrolia Canada

Can anyone help located when Thomas imm to Canada

Also help locating them on other census please

Help

Jebbo
    Last edited by jebbo; 26-02-08, 22:38. Reason: fotgor to put in ann birth place

Jebbett, Jebson, Goodman, White, Brown, Savory, Salisbury, Wheway, Hastings,
    Lenton, Perkins, Croshaw, Mallabone, Downey, Ring, Bergen, McConkey, Murphy.
    ( avatar Mum and Dad )

Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 3573; Folio: 96; Page: 44; GSU roll: 839770.

In 1871 census

All I can find is a Thomas Bagnall as a boarder in Litchurch in Derbyshire as a boarder. Age is about right but born in shortheath warwickshire not convinced though....................

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Hi JBee
      Thankyou , yes they are a mystery , I have just been rechecking bdms ( not certain if they are the family or not )
      found an Albert Bicknell died mar 1862 nuneaton, and an Ann Bicknell died Jun 1863 Aston.
      Just wonder now if thomas went to Canada maybe is it possible that Benjamin and Sarah went too ...

Jebbo

( avatar Mum and Dad )

Comment

HI

Found a Thomas Bicknall with wife Maggie and family on the 1901 Canadian Census. They married in 1887 in Kent Ontario

Harry Elmer Bicknall was a well travelled person who looks to have ended up in California. In 1917 when he married he was noted down as bieng a Teacher and by the time he was in California 1930 census he was noted as bieng a Doctor.

1874 in Middlesex, Ontario

Thomas Bicknell 2? married a Barbara Ellen K/Renny? 19

Parents of this Thomas noted as bieng Benjamin and Ann Bicknell.

could he be yours and thats why your struggling to find them in the UK later census?

On the 1911 Ontarion Canadian census it shows Imm' year as 1862 So I think that answers your question - hopefully.
        WendyP

Comment

HI

Death info for

Name = Benjamin Bicknell

When passed = 28th May 1898

Aged = 80 years and 11 months

Address = Mill Lane Middlesex Ontario

Occ = Weaver

How = Cancer of 17 years

Who notifed = Thos' Bicknall
          WendyP

Comment

Hi

Ann Bicknall was still alive in the 1901 Canadian Census living with her now married daughter Sarah Wilkins

Sarah Bicknall 22 married Asa Wilkins 25 in 1877 Peterborough, Ontario.

Asa was born in the USA.

If you want any images sending via email just send me a PM with your email addy.
            WendyP

Comment

Hi WendyP
              Wow , big thankyou I have been struggling with this family line searching for family on uk census 1871 onwards and having no luck
              Appreciate your help locating information , have sent you a pm

jebbo

( avatar Mum and Dad )

Comment

I see that this is a very old thread, but I have just now found it. Perhaps I can clarify a couple of points, if anyone is still paying attention.

I am the youngest granddaughter of Harry Elmer Bicknell (correct spelling of surname). He was indeed a teacher; taught art in high school, and then married one of his students, 18-year-old Emmeline Johnston, who was born in Belfast but emigrated with her family as a young girl to Petrolia. They had 3 children; Gordon (1918), Stuart (1919) and Mildred, my mother, born in 1921.

At some point after the children were born, Harry enrolled in medical school, became a doctor, and sometime in the mid to later 1920s decided he had had quite enough of the cold winters in Ontario. So the family got on a train and headed west and south. They settled in Long Beach, California, and he practiced medicine until sometime in the 1960s, I think. In about 1975 they sold their big house in Long Beach and moved to West Los Angeles, to be nearer to their oldest son. Harry died in 1980 at the age of 90, and Emmeline followed in 1988, also aged 90. They are buried together at Inglewood Park Cemetery in Los Angeles. Gordon and his wife had no children. Stuart and his wife had a son and a daughter. Mildred and her husband had 3 daughters, of whom I am the youngest.

I have personally found very little information online about the Bicknells who remained in Petrolia. I vaguely remember Grandpa's brother Great Uncle Fred and his wife coming to visit in Long Beach when I was a little kid, and when I was a teenager, my parents and I briefly visited Great Aunt Geneva in Victoria, BC. If anyone has a family tree for the Petrolia branch of the clan, I'd be interested in seeing it.

Comment

There used to be a member on here called Dawn.
                  Dawn lives in Nuneaton and her older daughter has fairly recently married Bicknell
                  Jess

Comment

Again, rather late to the party... (is anyone still paying attention?) but on rereading this thread, I realized something is missing, and I might be able to clear up a detail or two.

Thomas Bicknell, son of Benjamin and Ann, was my great-grandfather, and as best I can determine, he was married twice. According to the info I've pieced together (accuracy not guaranteed) his first wife was named Barbara Ellen Remey, born 10 September 1855, died 21 January 1883. They had 3 children, Arthur Albert (1876-1949), Ida Armelia (1877-1880) and Clara May (1882-?).

Thomas's second wife was Margaret "Maggie" MacDougall (my great-grandmother). She was born 1 March 1868, died 13 December 1964. I never met her but I remember being told of her death at age 96. She was born in Ontario and died in BC, and a picture of her headstone can be found at findagrave.com. Thomas and Maggie were married June 14, 1887. Their oldest child was Geneva Avery, born 10 April 1888, died 10 August 1980. I did meet her once, in 1973. She lived outside Victoria, BC. She too can be found at findagrave.com. The second child was my grandfather, Harry Elmer Bicknell, born 10 July 1889, died 3 September 1980. The third child was "Uncle Fred," Alfred Carlisle Bicknell, born 8 December 1899 (or perhaps 8 January 1900), died in 1976. His wife was Clara Hutchinson Bicknell, 1897-1984. I met them once when I was a little kid.

Fred and Clara had (to the best of my knowledge, which is sketchy) 4 children, Eugene (1922-1999), Leonard (1925?-2014) and Glenn, born 1937, and as far as I know still alive and living in Petrolia. I have not met any of these folks, nor any of their various children (who are my second cousins). Eugene, Leonard and Thomas all had children; Glenn had none.

I have a note saying that the 1911 Canadian census listed Thomas as having emigrated from the UK in 1862 (he would have been 10 years old at the time).

Adding to the confusion, one of my first cousins posted on a now-defunct board that our grandfather Harry Elmer Bicknell had had a half brother named George who "kind of disappeared." George is not one of the names I have found for Thomas and his first wife's offspring (although I would have to assume he was one of theirs), and I haven't been able to run down any more information on him.

If anyone is still watching here, if I ever find further info (I have several boxes of family history papers I need to go through in my copious spare time) I will certainly post an update. And meanwhile, if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask, but I don't guarantee I will have answers.

Comment

A couple more items. The info I have (but I don't remember exactly where I picked up this tidbit; perhaps from some of the family papers I have perused) indicates that in addition to Thomas, Albert and Sarah, Benjamin and Ann had another son named William who died in infancy, year unknown.

Thomas and his first wife Barbara were married in 1874. She died in 1883, and Thomas married my great-grandmother Margaret in 1887.

Since Thomas was apparently the oldest child, and he was about 10 when he emigrated to Canada, it's fairly safe to assume that the entire family emigrated at the same time, I would think.

Thomas was a carpenter, and he built the house that his grandson Glenn (my mother's first cousin) as far as I know still lives in. It's considered a historic home in Petrolia, and for those interested in that sort of thing, there's a photo and more information at http://www.petroliaheritage.com/heritage.html. Look about two-thirds of the way down the page for 421 Warren Avenue. The text reads as follows:

421 Warren Ave. (Present owner- Glenn Bicknell) Reasons for Proposed Designation (March 25, 1996)
                      Historical reasons:
                      The original owner, Thomas Bicknell, built 421 Warren Ave. in 1893. Mr. Bicknell, a noted artist of the time, constructed many artifacts such as doors, cabinets, etc., for the locals. Thomas’ son Fred was born at 421 Warren Ave. Fred was also a local artist; he made musical instruments such as violins and base violins. As well, he played in the Sarnia Port Huron Symphony. His business was that of a painter and wallpaper hanger. 421 Warren is now owned by Fred's son, Glenn, a third generation Bicknell.
                      Architectural reasons:
                      421 Warren Ave. is a typical Gothic Revival Victorian home. This two-story house proudly displays a gable facing north and east adorned with decorative gingerbread. A small decorative porch enclosure leads to the front entrance. The front door, built by Thomas Bicknell, is a viewing pleasure with its beautiful fan shaped detail. Front and side first floor windows are graced with small square stained glass pieces, typical of the era.

(The house was built in 1893, some 4 years after my grandfather Harry was born. Uncle Fred was the youngest and the only one of that generation born in the house.)

Comment

Oops. I said above that Fred and Clara had 4 children but only listed details for 3 of them. The only detail I have for the other son Thomas is that per my cousin Charlie, he was 86 years old in 2017.

Comment

Greetings... if anyone is still here after all this time. During the COVID lockdowns I have spent a good bit of time trying to untangle some of the mysteries in the family trees. I did extensive research on Thomas Bicknell (1852-1947), my great grandfather who was born in England and emigrated to Canada when he was 10, and outlined all of my findings in the notes on his Wikitree profile. At least some of the questions originally asked at the beginning of this thread have been answered....

Here is the URL for the Wikitree profile (Bicknell-105).

Benjamin and Ann (to the best of my most recent knowledge) had 7 children: William (born in 1851, died in infancy), Thomas (1852-1947), Sarah Wilkins (1855-1943), Albert (born in 1860, died in infancy), Eliza Robinson (born in 1861, death date not known), Emma Poat (1864-1934) and George (1870-1953).

Also, the mystery of Thomas's son "George" who "kind of disappeared" has probably been resolved; it was actually Arthur Albert (1875-1949) who was last seen by his half siblings on the occasion of their father's funeral (in 1947).

And that is the state of my current research, as of March 2021. If anyone has any further questions, I don't guarantee I can answer them, but don't hesitate to ask.

Comment

Hello Crankybeach,

The OP of this thread hasn't been onsite for quite a while but you could send her a PM [private message] by clicking on 'send PM' underneath her location of Australia on the left hand side. If her email address that she has registered with onsite is still current then she should receive notification that you have sent a PM.
                            Julie
                            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. I have sent a PM to that person.

Comment

Working...
                              X