Can I pick your brains again please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I pick your brains again please?

I have hit a wall again having picked up my research again on my father's step sister.

She was born in 1914 to my grandmother Clara Dyer (nee Woods) after she married Henry Knight. They lived in the St Pancras area of London. Clara died in 1918 and by then Henry had been pensioned out of the army according to his WW1 pension records.
    This has also confirmed that he died in July 1919.

So I am back to the same question that I always do which is What happened to her? I can find no trace of her getting married. I don't know who looked after, was she adopted, did she go to the workhouse or a children's home. Its a complete mystery.

You have always been so forthcoming with suggestions, and most of them correct, that once again I hope you can help me out now that I have this bit of additional info regarding the death of Henry.

Here's hoping ......................
    Last edited by KiteRunner; 26-02-08, 23:16. Reason: name removed in case she is still living

Do you KNOW that she didn't go to either set of grandparents? There appears to be no reason in that case for her to change her surname.

Do you have her father's death cert? The informant may be a relative and therefore possibly had some say in what happened to the child.

Another possibility, if she went into care, is that she was sent abroad as part of the Home Child programme. Might pay you to investigate passenger lists? Canada, Australia and Rhodesia are the most likely destinations.

OC

Comment

No I don't know that she didn't go to either set of grandparents, thats certainly a possibility. There is a copy of the her father's death cert on the WW1 pensions record and it gives the informer as his brother in law however the writing is not too clear, well not clear at all, and I can't read it. I will investigate your suggestoin of passenger lists as well.
      Thanks

Comment

I was just looking on Ancestry for the passenger lists and I apologise for my ignorance but there only appears to be lists going to the USA and no where else, am I missing something please?

Comment

Gill

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear!

I meant google "British Home Child" (or look in our Wiki, there is some stuff there).

Some of these sites give names and and details of the children who went. It's a bit hit and miss, but you never know.

However, if bro in law was the informant at her father's death, I wonder if he and his wife were already caring for the child?

OC

Comment

Gill try this page from our WIKI you might find something there to help

Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Hi, sorry I have been away looking at the suggested places on the Wiki - now thats somewhere that has lots of good info and well worth spending some time there! I think I need to get my own copy of the death cert to try and identify the name of the informant as the copy on the WW1 pension records is awful. I don't where the person learnt to write....

Comment

Gill,

do you have the ref for henry's military records? perhaps one of us could read it?

and decypher the BIL's name?
                Julie
                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Right its Henry Colin Knight 245454 No. The death certificate is in the middle of the WW1 pension records under his name. Do you need any further info Dark Secretz?

Comment

his DOB and POB would help Gill, but i'll have a look see
                    Julie

Comment

Place of birth was St Pancras and DoB was c1879.

Comment

I think I have found him Harland Rd? camden? that him?
                        Julie

Comment

If you have an exact date of birth for her and knowledge of her middle name, you could pick up all possible deaths with that dob and the right forenames after 1983, which might prove possible to cross-reference with a marriage record?!

Comment

Gill,

do you mind if I post the cert? on here? so members can help read the informants name?
                            Julie

Comment

Hi sorry, I didn't realise the postings had gone onto a second page .....
                              No I have no problem with the cert being posted on here to try and read the informant. Thanks again for the advice and wait now with patience....
                              Last edited by KiteRunner; 26-02-08, 23:18. Reason: identifying details removed in case she is still alive

Comment

ok here goes.... see what the members think of the informant of death:

it looks like William Poynter, BIL, 24, Shirlock Rd, St Pancras...
                                Last edited by Darksecretz; 26-02-08, 22:19.
                                Julie

Comment

Details deleted and sent to Gill by pm.
                                  Last edited by Merry Monty Montgomery; 27-02-08, 10:17. Reason: Thread is possibly re living person

Comment

Thank you so much for your help. I have just given myself palpitations by looking at the deaths as suggested earlier and found the death of a name removed in St Pancras in 1917. However, we have a family photo which has a date on the back of it which I am getting checked out as I think that is after that time and therefore that will rule that certificate out. I can't have her dying that young!
                                    Last edited by KiteRunner; 26-02-08, 23:22.

Comment

Sorry but I need to be dim again. How would I find which records office to contact please? I have never done this before. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                                        it looks like William Poynter, BIL, 24, Shirlock Rd, St Pancras...
                                        I agree with Julie....That's what I would make it, too.

Comment

Working...
                                        X