Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reinstalling data????????

Help!

Computer has been in for repairs - needed a new hard drive. They have done a data retrieval on 2 discs for me but my computer can't read them! Any ideas - nothing too technical please!!!!!!!!

Can you explore the CD's i.e go to My computer right click on CD drive, select explore,
    it should show you what is on the CD ? If it shows something, can you post what it says ?

Also did the PC repair people tell you what they used to back up your data from your hard drive onto the CD's ?

Clare

Comment

Hi Clare

No they didn't tell me what they used to retrieve the data. Just said the discs were in the box ready to go.

Have done what you said. There are 5 folders: Bundle, Documents & Settings, Drivers, Programme Files & Windows. There is an item : install DAT file 1KB and there is a SmartInstaller Text Document 1KB.

If I click on the text document there is just 1 line giving date compiled and modified (2005).

If I click on the Install DAT file I get a caution box.

If I remove the disc and explore the C drive I get exactly the same thing. So I don't think the discs are being read.

Also if I open the folders I just get things I have reinstalled - not things I have lost.

Comment

Can you contact the PC repair people and ask them what they used
        to back up the data ?

Clare

Comment

Thanx for your input - it is sorted at last. My nephew took the discs and his laptop was able to read them so he copied them on to my memory stick (took about 3 loads!) and we then downloaded them back onto this computer. The first two loads were for my two teenagers files; the last one was mine so I am going to keep that memory stick as a safeguard and get a new one for day to day use! Belt & Braces come to mind!!!!

Comment

Hi Sue,
            I shudder when I read people want to use memory sticks for storing data. They are ideal for transporting data from 1 pc to another at home or work. The problem is that they do fail and the stick like a hard disk can become corrupted. There's also the possibility of unintentionally erasing the files (quite easily done) when you need to put another file on the stick and you need some extra space, so oops, erase the wrong file.
            Most PC's now have CD read/writer and or DVD writer,. or even still use an external hard disk backup drive which you can save a complete copy (image) of your PC programs on and in the event of a major crash, you can easily restore your PC.
            Just my thoughts.
            Bye
            Paul

Comment

Thanks Paul - I used to use discs (have most of my photos on them anyway) but people, on here I think, were recommending memory sticks so I started to use one instead. Must admit the one I was using suddenly wouldn't work - said it was unformatted.

Maybe I will go back to discs. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X