How helpful was this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How helpful was this?

As you probably all know, I have been unable to find the marriage details for my gt grandmother Emma and her 2nd husband John Garvie. No sign in the GRO indexes from 1879 when Emma's first husband Thomas Mattews died, up to 1909 when John Garvie died.

But I found Islington Register Office accepted enquiry e-mails, so I sent one asking if they could check Jun 1879-Mar 1881 (when Emma and John appear as married on the census).

Got a reply today "It would be best if you contacted the General Registry Office direct"

But if the marriage isn't in the index (which I told Islington) I don't see how the GRO could find it?!
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

So frustrating, isn't it? Makes you want to shout "Move over and let me look for myself"

I am quite convinced that most emails, letters, phone calls etc are handled by people who have problems understanding what you have written and what you want, pick out a key word they recognise and send off the stock reply with that key word in it.

OC

Comment

I'd be tempted to email them back and explain that you have looked in the GRO indexes and that it doesnt appear to be there, which is why you have emailed them....

jeez some jobsworth there!
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Julie

Yes, I've already done that, and pointed out that I was asking if they could check their indexes (since they won't let the public in to do it themselves).

I am just narked that I can't find this marriage, which I am sure took place (my Dad's Gran was very Respectable).

Comment

Nell - to be fair to the RO, and setting aside the general attitude of London ROs to genealogical enquiries, you need to remember that there is a separate set of registers for every wedding venue, so you need to tell them which church (or if it was a register office marriage).
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I didn't realise that Uncle John - my problem is I don't know. If I did, I'd look at the relevant microfilm at the London Met Archives.

Comment

Islington not having indexes still doesn't excuse them directing someone to the GRO when the person has told them the entry is not in the GRO indexes.

Comment

Merry, I suppose part of the problem is that they don't know Little Nell, so they don't realise that if she says it isn't on the GRO indexes then it isn't - just think how many times somebody on here has said someone isn't on the GRO indexes and then we've found the entry for them!
                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I agree with Merry, a more helpful and informative response would have been

"Our marriage records are arranged in individual books for each venue or church so we would need a more specific venue before we could undertake such a search"

Lots of people don't know this, but once you do, you realise that they are not just being b**** minded. It isn't a big secret, so why not tell you?

OC

Comment

Working...
                  X