Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please can anyone find this lady in 1901?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please can anyone find this lady in 1901?

Lavinia McCall (nee Brooks) was born in 1853 in Nailsea, Somerset.

From the 1861 census onwards she lived in St Helens, Lancashire. Her place of birth varies a lot on the census - Somerset - Gloucestershire - St Helens

In 1901 she may well have been a widow as there is a likely death for her husband, Robert McCall (b abt 1849 in Liverpool, a glass blower) in Prestwich district in Q1.

As far as I know she only had two children and they are both accounted for in 1901, so she might be alone.

Can anyone see her???

Sorry Merry, can't find her.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Thanks for looking Wendy

Comment

There's a Lavina Newall living in Toxteth born Gloucs

She has two children with her though - Flora and Alexandra
        Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Originally posted by samesizedfeet View Post
          There's a Lavina Newall living in Toxteth born Gloucs

She has two children with her though - Flora and Alexandra
          Thanks for that one, Zoe.......but she is there in 1891 too.......

Comment

Boooooo
            Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Sorry, Merry. I can't find her either. I stuck in the basic name of Lavinia, two years either side of her est. birth year, and still have come up with nowt. How maddening. Do you know for sure that she didn't pre-decease her hubby?

Chris

Comment

Her great-nephew says she was supposed to have lived into old age.

The trouble with the name Lavinia is that the first vowel is often mistranscribed, which isn't very helpful when Ancestry insist on the first three letters being entered! In 1881 she is recorded as Charlotte! pmsl!!

This is Ancestry's effort so far.....

Levinia Brook (1861)
                Lavinia McColl (1871)
                Charlotte Mc Call (1881)
                Levenia McCobb (1891)

Comment

I had a look for her, too, using shortened detailand wildcards, but without any success, I'm afraid.

The trouble is that there's even a risk of her first letter being mistranscribed... especially if it's like the one I reported recently, where a middle initial had been picked up as a first letter of the surname, because it was very adjacent. Do you know many people with the surname EDZILBERT, but whose parents have the surname GILBERT?

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Christine

Yes, I got very cross yesterday looking for my Timothy and finding him as Simothy.

OK, the T did look a BIT like an S, but would have made his son called Shomas and all the people on the page would have been living in Srent Serrace.

Sorry Merry, off to look for your Sounia.

OC

Comment

My contact says he thinks the 1900 death reg might be fore someone else. In which case the other missing person is Robert McCall b abt 1849 in Liverpool. Occ Glass blower.

Comment

I've had a look, but no luck so far.

There is a widowed Charlotte Mc Call in Cheltenham, but she's born in Brompton and has a daughter Frances born in Scotland, so I assume she's irrelevant.

Comment

Well I looked for hours yesterday and came up with zilch. I'll take another look later but I,m not holding my breath lol..

I would have expected Robert to be still fairly local to St Helens as thats where the Pilkington Glass works is but he could have changed jobs I suppose.

]

Comment

Thanks for looking..............

I did a search on TNA 1901 for :

Robert
                            No surname
                            Male
                            born 1849 +/-10
                            born in Lancashire
                            occ Glass*

then the same, but born in Liverpool, in case they'd missed off the county.

So, he either changed jobs, has his birth details or first name wrong or is dead, or was missed off the census.

I'm tending towards being missed off the census at the mo!

Comment

Merry that happened to me with one of my Scottish lot.... He was missed off the Census on Ancestry but I did find him on Scotland's People.

researching Matchett, McFarland, Dick, Ewing, Koehler or Kohler, Nairn and Young.

Raven's Wiki Page
                              Raven's Family Tree

Comment

I found Charlotte Mc Call by searching on the 1901 census site, which sometimes pays dividends because their transcriptions are much better than Ancestry's, but I didn't find anything for Robert or Lavinia.

Comment

Are there any Local society sites with census transcriptions for the area?

I know that there are some such around - particularly useful for unfilmed records.

Christine
                                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                                    I've had a look, but no luck so far.

There is a widowed Charlotte Mc Call in Cheltenham, but she's born in Brompton and has a daughter Frances born in Scotland, so I assume she's irrelevant.

This one really was a Charlotte and was married to a Frederick McCall

I was looking yesterday too Merry and am afraid I had about as much luck as everyone else will have another wee try in a bit.
                                    With Experience comes Realisation

Comment

Working...
                                    X