TNA questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TNA questions

(I really hate TNA site, it always makes me feel thick and inadequate, lol).

I am trying to obtain the discharge papers of Joshua Woodhead. It took me quite some considerable time to find them, despite a kind person on here finding the document number for me. You cannot search by document number, it seems.

I have got as far as the ordering stage but I am stumped. I realise I have to ask for an estimate of costs first but is there any way of judging what they might be? There is no indication of the number of pages in the document.

Also - are discharge papers likely to contain any useful information, or will they just repeat what is in the title? In which case I sha'n't put myself through all this stress!

And - why is the option to download from Docsonline greyed out?

Thankyou from a humble, stupid, inadequate researcher.

OC

I got the discharge papers from TNA last week for 2 men, cost £10.20 for 11 pages for 1 and 7 pages for the other - inc P&P

It took them about 2 weeks to get back to me with the estimate, and I was really happy with the information supplied. One of them included court marshal information

but as with all these documents they do vary.
    Vikki -
    Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

Olde Crone

I know that site is a nightmare, but you CAN search by document number!! For that time period, I would say it's likely to be around 4 pages or so, so not too expensive. They should list year and place of birth, trade, date and place of enlistment, summary of his service and date and reason for discharge
      The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
      Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Thanks Ann. I do remember once searching (and finding) by document number and I just thought they might have removed the facility!

Think I will go ahead anyway - he is my 3 x GGF, so it will be nice to have this as a souvenir, if nothing else.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
          And - why is the option to download from Docsonline greyed out?
          I think that would be because they haven't scanned the document (or a film of it) in, so there is nothing to download.
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Ah, thanks Kate, I stupidly thought you could REQUEST a download and they would scurry off and scan the doc instead of photocopying it and having to post it out.

OC

Comment

Ah, thanks Kate, I stupidly thought you could REQUEST a download and they would scurry off and scan the doc instead of photocopying it and having to post it out.

OC
              I hope that idea doesn't represent stupidity! I was fairly convinced that getting a scan done, which you could download via DocsOnline, was indeed an option.

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Nope, it isn't. You can download stuff that's already been scanned but not if it hasn't.

OC
                I got my gt x 2 grandfather's discharge papers which were 3 pages of A3, giving information about his joining up (he got paid £4!) his medical treatment and details of his army pension as he was invalided out with a blind eye.

I ordered it at the same time as a Met policeman's service record (2 pages) and it cost less than £10 for both, which was certainly cheaper than going to Kew.
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

OC

I agree TNA site is bewildering, but then so is Kew - its on such a vast scale. And no one who has read your posts would think you inadequate. On the contrary I am sure we are all grateful for your knowledge & experience which you freely share.
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Have a look here:

We aren't talking at cross purposes, are we?

Christine
                    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 25-02-08, 18:55.
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Aw, Nell!

It is a very long time since I have been to Kew, certainly pre computer days and it all seemed fairly simple then with a huge card index nicely cross referenced. Or perhaps I was just a lot brighter then???

TNA site has a logic all of its own and it doesn't correspond with my logic!

Chrsitine

We might be at cross purposes here - the link doesn't work, lol. But...maybe I am getting confused with local Records Offices, where you can put your request for a document to be scanned, onto a waiting list. This is usually for documents too fragile for production.

I suppose I just thought, if I thought at all, that TNA would be frantically scanning all documents to save wear and tear on them. Perhaps not.

OC

Comment

The link would have worked, but for the element of the URL which refers, by initials, to Scanning On Demand! Unfortunately that gets censored! ;) :D

I've sort-of replaced it - but you have to remove the spaces to get it to work.

Christine

Comment

*sniggers childishly*

Comment

The records you want to order are on film, so suppose they will just copy from the film.
                            Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

As Ann says, if you actually have a reference, the docs will be on microfilm. I don't have huge experience, but most of the WO97s that I've looked at on microfilm are not very long and some give you precious little extra information - tho you may find out why someone was discharged.
                              Phoenix - with charred feathers
                              Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

(I really hate TNA site, it always makes me feel thick and inadequate, lol).

I am trying to obtain the discharge papers of Joshua Woodhead.

OC
                                Did you ever get a copy of these papers? I just tried to order them but got a mail back telling me as it would take more than 20 minutes to locate them I would have to come to Kew in person to search. Joshua Woodhead is my GGG Grandfather.

Comment

Don't understand why Kew said that! I've never ordered from them online as I go there all the time, but as far as I'm aware you get the reference up on the screen, then click on Request this to get a quotation.

Comment

Ooooh, dandanally, come over here and talk to me!

You are the first person I have ever known related to me on this branch!!!!

(No, I never got the papers but might be persuaded to have another go, if you are interested. I have quite a bit of forward info for Joshua but absolutely nothing backwards, nor do I know his wife's name)

OC

Comment

I have his wife's name is Elizabeth Burrows also spelled 'Barrough' on some records. Born in Burnley about 1798. Married 3 May 1817.

I have his parents as Thomas Woodhead and Mary Rushworth from a christening record 22 DEC 1793 Halifax, Yorkshire but there is also a Joshua Woodhead who married an Elizabeth Waddington 30 JUL 1792 in Hepperholme, Yorkshire. This date and the mention of Hipperholm, Yorks in our Joshua's service record (I'm assuming it's the same place) seems to tie up better but the only child I can find for this pair is a Thomas Woodhead born 28 AUG 1796 in Halifax.

I've also got lots of Woodheads going forward but I'm still researching them.

There was also another document in the National Archive relating to a Joshua Woodhead. I'm not sure if it's our Joshua but it's dated 1868 and refers to Cause number: 1868 H247.
                                      Short title: In the matter of Henry Gwynne Hutchinson solicitor. Application of Joshua Woodhead plaintiffs. Catalogue ref: C 16/502/H247.

Comment

Yes, I've followed the same path as you and have his parents pencilled in as Thomas and Mary purely because he calls first son Thomas, first daughter Mary.

(I knew he married Elizabeth Burroughs, lol, when I looked at my tree!).

The other doc you have found is interesting - wonder if it's ours? Joshua was in straitened circumstances by the look of things in 1861, living in lodgings in Leeds.

OC

Comment

Working...
                                        X