Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US census help.......

I'm trying to find Henry William TYLER.

He was born in August 1823 in Witney, Oxfordshire and was last seen on the 1851 census aged 28, a grocer.

I have a date of death for him of 31st July 1872, and I have reason to believe he died in America, but I don't know whereabouts. It is possible he never married.

Can anyone spot him in the States? (I don't have access to World Ancestry :o)

He had a sister, Emma, b April 1825. She married a Mr Smith () in the States and had a daughter called Anna, but I don't know when. (just in case this helps! lolol)

Maybe they might be together at some point?

Comment

In the US 1870 census there is an Emma Smith b 1825 and an Edward Smith b 1818. They are both living in Chicago Ward 15 , Cook, IL. Would it be possible to see if they are husband and wife and if they have a dau called Anna?

Comment

Yes, you're right! Well, the daughter's name looks more like Ann or Anne than Anna, but apart from that. The daughter is 9 and born Illinois.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Yes, they are together and have a daughter Anna, he is a night watchman. Would you like any more details from the image?
          Christine in Portugal

Comment

Could this be your Henry William as William Henry Tyler?

RG10 Piece 1894 Folio 49 Page 7
            Christine in Portugal

Comment

Sorry to say there is no Tyler with them in 1860 (or in 1870 either).
              KiteRunner

Comment

Oooh yes please!!

I don't need the image, just the details of the household if it's not too much trouble.

Some censuses say when a person emigrated, don't they? That would be very useful, but I don't know which ones have that info?

If Emma and Edward are the right ones, they don't seem to have married in England/Wales.........................

The clincher would be that I believe Anna married a Mr Jackson (don't know when!). Might be impossible to pin down though.......

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Portugal View Post
                  Could this be your Henry William as William Henry Tyler?

RG10 Piece 1894 Folio 49 Page 7
                  I suppose he could be.....I would have to check the earlier censuses.......Doesn't feel right really.....says he was born in Oxford City which, whilst it isn't far from Witney, is distinctly a different place!

I'll investigate later....no time now!

Comment

I don't think those 1860 and 1870 censuses have very much info on but if I can find them on a later one then hopefully it will tell you when they emigrated and everything. Even whether they owned a radio and how much their house was worth. No, I think they would probably be dead before the ones with that much info on, now I come to think of it. Anyway, I'll see if I can find one that tells you when they emigrated but it might be later as I've got to force my son to do his homework in a few minutes...
                    KiteRunner

Comment

Oooh, this may be Emma and Edward's dau in 1880:

F. W. JAKSON Self M W 24 MA Plumber ENG ENG
                      Annie JAKSON Wife M W 20 IL Keeping House ENG ENG
                      Emma JAKSON Dau S W 4M IL MA IL

Chicago, Cook, Illinois

Child named after her grandmother and living nextdoor to Emma and Edward Smith.

I wonder what F W stands for?

Comment

Thanks for the offer of looking, Kite

Comment

They don't have the year emigrated on just Value of real estate 2000, value personal estate 500. His wife was born in England also.
                          Christine in Portugal

Comment

Can't see an obvious Henry Tyler in 1860 or 1870.
                            KiteRunner

Comment

Certainly looks as if it is them next door. He was born Massachusets but his parents born England and he is a plumber, daughter was born feb 1880.
                              Christine in Portugal

Comment

HI

In the 1900 census F W Jakson now appears as Frederick W Jakson and amongst other has his mother in law Emma Smith bn 1825 in England staying with them Emma states she came over in 1852.

Frederick 44 Occ Super't at Water Works
                                Annie 39 stated benn married 21 years and had 5 children but only 2 still living at time on census those children shown as Edward 14 and Charles 11
                                WendyP

Comment

Thanks Wendy! Does it say how long Emma Smith had been married?

I thought finding the Smith/Jackson people would be impossible, but finding H W Tyler would be possible; seems I had it the wrong way round!!

Comment

HI Merry

No it just shows Emma as bieng a WD and had 4 children only 1 still alive.

Just for out of interest Anna her daughter was still alive upto and including the 1930 census with Grandchildren living with her
                                    WendyP

Comment

Thanks for that, Wendy

Comment

Working...
                                      X