Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New laptop security help please

Hello, thanks for looking.

I have just got a new (Vista) laptop. I connected briefly to my wireless network (on PC) and went to download free AVG but got confused.

So before I connect again, please can someone advise if free AVG is going to be good enough - or should I go for Norton, or something else?

I will be taking the laptop away with me and hopefully connecting here and there at campsites etc.

Would a paid version be more suitable as I will be using other people's networks?

Any advice welcome, thank you.

Jen xx
    "I try to take one day at a time but sometimes lots of days attack me at once"

;)

Jen,
    For an antivirus only, AVG Free will be great, but you need a firewall as well.
    I would not be downloading it straight to your laptop from the internet, though as you could be attacked before you have it up & running. You should download to CD and then install them before connecting to the internet.

Have fun.

Comment

Hi Lyn, thank you for that.

I don't think I have a firewall on this computer!

I'll go to AVG then, and download the free AV onto a CD as you recommend.

And I will look for a firewall there too.

Thanks, I am sure I will enjoy the laptop - already hooked on "Mah Jong"!!

Jen xx

;)

Comment

Please can I have some more help?

OK, I have now downloaded free AVG and burned it to a CD.

I think it said it gave some firewall protection - couldn't find a separate firewall to download?

Is there somewhere else to get a firewall?

Sorry for the daft questions. :o

Jen xx

;)

Comment

My son recommends this one Jen. He works in IT and he said it should be OK.

ZoneAlarm Firewall (Windows 2000/XP) - Reviews and free ZoneAlarm Firewall (Windows 2000/XP) downloads at Download.com
          Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Thanks Wendy (& son)

It's Vista though, could I be a pain and ask him if there's a Vista one please?

Jen xx

;)

Comment

Originally posted by Jen Red Purple View Post
              Thanks Wendy (& son)

It's Vista though, could I be a pain and ask him if there's a Vista one please?
              I'm not sure if it works for Vista, but one of the comments down the bottom of the page says that it does. You could try it and see.

I'll see if Dave knows od another one.
              Wendy

Comment

Thanks Wendy, please tell Dave I really appreciate his help.

Jen xx

;)

Comment

Dave says that Vista comes with its own firewall.
                  Wendy

Comment

Fantastic, that means I don't have to do anything and therefore can't get it wrong!

Really grateful, thanks a lot.

Jen xx

;)

Comment

Working...
                    X