Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you help me read the cause of death please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you help me read the cause of death please.

Hi

I received a death certificate today, for Rebecca Butler aged 5 years old. She died on 2nd Aug 1864. I need help with her cause of death, which actually is very unusual.

I can make out - Killed whilst picking up lead metal? of Rifle Corps target which fell upon her.......... I can't make out any of the rest.

I have put it on photobucket, so hopefully it will come out ok.

thanks
    Sandra

Killed whilst picking up lead near a Rifle Corps target which fell upon her the iron supporters of which are supposed to have been ?erroneous? loosed.

Think that's what it says.
    Last edited by WendyPusey; 25-02-08, 09:24. Reason: changed a bit.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

How sad, I can only make out some of it

Killed whilst picking up lead near a rifle corps target which fell upon her.

Some one will be able to read the rest for you
      Vikki -
      Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

It is "lead near a Rifle Corps target..."
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

How sad Sandra!

"Killed whilst picking up lead near a Rifle Corps Target which fell upon her the iron supporters of which are supposed to have been for(?) no means loosed"

is my best guess.
          Gillian
          User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Oh, and I think the bit near the end is "supposed to have been by someone loosed".
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks everyone, looks like I'm going to have to email the ERO at Chelmsford now to see if they have any newspaper reports on her inquest. Going by what you have all put about it having been loosened, it was ngligence I suppose..... but then again, what is a 5 year old doing on Army ground.

It came as a shock as I expected her to have died of TB or something.

My g-g-grandmother was her sister. She went on to marry a soldier from Colchester. The family were living in Weeley in Essex. I suppose the Army used the area around Weeley for target practice?

Comment

Kiterunner, your right, the target wasn't made from lead, she was picking up the lead shot.... probably to sell on, lead is still a lucrative market nowadays. Then again, a 5 year old touching lead!

Comment

could it be "by some means loosed" ?

Comment

Yes Roger, thanks. That makes sense.

Comment

Working...
                    X