Munitions Factory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Munitions Factory

Is there anywhere I could find out where they were situated in SE London apart from at Woolwich? Thanks
    Researching - Minters (Ash - Kent line), Meads (Essex/London), Hornsby (Essex), Hatherall (Glos), Hall (London & Glos), Crook (Glos), Vince (London/Essex)

Googled "Munitions factory", looks as though there was one in Silvertown, several pages of results, you might like to look yourself as some include pictures.
    Mavis
    Dust is a noun, never a verb;)

Comment

There were probably munitions factories all over London. My Mum worked in a nursery in Penge during the war and many of the mothers whose children were there worked in a munitions factory, so there must have been one near or in Penge. Any more details?
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I am asking for somone else who is trying to find where her grandmother worked. She has seen a photo of her sitting outside the factory and wondered where it was. Grandmother lived in West Norwood, so Penge is reasonably close so it may have been there. I am not sure where Silvertown is.
        Researching - Minters (Ash - Kent line), Meads (Essex/London), Hornsby (Essex), Hatherall (Glos), Hall (London & Glos), Crook (Glos), Vince (London/Essex)

Comment

textmum wrote:
          "I am not sure where Silvertown is"

East London
          Silvertown - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You do not mention which war. In WW1 my aunt worked in one in Fulham. So it seems they were all over the place.
          Phil
          historyhouse.co.uk
          Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Sorry it was WW2, she also mentioned that I think the grandfather had worked for Tate & Lyle, so maybe it was Silvertown, although that would have been a long way to travel (timewise) these days, it may have been easier to get to then. Thanks for the link.

Comment

According to google maps, Silvertown comes under Lewisham, right on the north Woolwich road

Google Maps

There is a museum at woolwich, which might be able to help you out with local munition factories. its the Royal Artilery Museum

The Royal Artillery Museum - Firepower
              Last edited by vikki brace; 25-02-08, 10:29.
              Vikki -
              Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

Silvertown is where my dad and his family come from and it was seen as being in the woolich area.....heavily bombed in the war -they were moved up north during ww2.

Comment

Working...
                X