1861 census fresh eyes please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1861 census fresh eyes please.

Please can anyone find the following horribly mistranscribed man in 1861 please? I know he was alive as I have him in 1871 living as a Chelsea Pensioner inmate in London.

Joshua WOODHEAD, born c 1792, Yorkshire (says Halifax in 1871). His wife Elizabeth should be with him too, born 1798 Burnley, Lancs. (She probably died in 1867, but not confirmed).

I have accounted for all their children in 1861, except Martha born c 1826, Manchester.

Joshua was a farmer/ostler, variously. I don't THINK he is the 62 year old carter living with daughter Martha in Yorkshire, as her age is out by ten years and his by seven.

The family lived for many years in Newton Heath, Manchester and I cannot see why Joshua alone might have moved away?

Thankyou in anticipation, I have run out of mistranscription ideas.

OC

I tried to find the "wrong" Joshua in 1851, but couldn't. However, I can see that the "wrong" daughter (Martha 26) was 35 on the following census (as Martha L Garrick), so they do still look to be the wrong people.........

Not much help is it?? lol

Comment

There is a Chelsea pensioner by the name of Joseph Woodhead, b. Halifax here:

RG9; Piece: 3280; Folio: 70; Page: 3

No Elizabeth in sight & just wondering if this is not the same man you found on 1871.

Comment

Merry

Thanks for looking anyway.

I was convinced that Joshua and Elizabeth died between 1851 and 61 as all the younger children are scattered around amongst their older brothers and sisters in 1861.

But trying to find a death for Joshua, I could only come up with one in Q4, 1871, in London. Checked him out on the 1871 and it is definitely him as he was described as a Chelsea Pensioner in 1851.

And one of their sons who disappeared after 1851, crops up in 1881! Don't know where he's been for 30 years - all his kids born Newton Heath.

Think I will have to do an area trawl in Newton Heath. Fortunately the missing son had a weirdly named son called Garside!

OC

Comment

There is an Elizabeth Woodhead died Jun qtr 1859
          Manchester 8d 19(?)6.
          which could explain children being 'spread around' by 1861
          Mavis
          Dust is a noun, never a verb;)

Comment

Oooh, thanks Merry - off to look!

OC

Comment

Thanks Mavis I must have missed that one!

Merry, I like Joseph Woodhead. He is the right age more or less. But how strange that he should go back to Halifax after all those years - he had eleven children and umpteen grandchildren all living in Newton Heath.

I will just check backwards for that Joseph before I claim him as mine, lol.

OC

Comment

Garside and family in 1871:

RG10; Piece: 4056; Folio: 31; Page: 56

Comment

National Archives have discharge documents for a Joshua Woodhead, born Hipperholm, Yorks. Served in Royal Horse Guards, discharged aged 23. Served 1812-1816. Seems likely to be your man. You can order the document from them. Reference is WO97/11/125
                  The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                  Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Merry

You won't believe this but they are living at the same address in 1881, but have been correctly transcribed on that occasion! Woodhurst was NOT a mistran I had considered.

I have subbed a correction. Also subbed a correction for Gursile Blomely on the same page, mother in law. He is actually Garside Bromely, FATHER in law, lol. Thankyou for finding them and saving me a page by page trawl.

Ansawbey

Brilliant! Thankyou! Coo, he did alright out of his four years service, didn't he.

OC

Comment

I've had no luck with Garside and his parents in 1861. Maybe your Joshua was with them?

Comment

Merry

I shall trawl the 1861 as most of the family are in Newton Heath. I shall do that tomorrow when I am a bit more sensible.

OC

Comment

My gt x 2 grandfather John Purvey was a Chelsea pensioner. He left the army after just over a year because he had lost the sight in one eye caused not by a war wound, but by an infection which was very widespread in soldiers.

Anyway he worked as an ag lab and an oxman and is only mentioned as a pensioner in 1861 census, which also told me he was blind in his right eye.
                          John had 3 wives and had at least 15 children between them so being disabled didn't stand in his way.
                          ~ with love from Little Nell~
                          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Well I have trudged the streets of Newton Heath AND Droylesden (where all the children were born between 51 and 61) and he isn't there and neither are any of the children. I can only conclude that they were OUT when the enumerator called.

(Just realised how appropriate was his progression - Royal Horse Guards to Ostler to Farmer).

OC

Comment

Merry

Just so you can sleep the sleep of the just, lol...Joshua calling himself Joseph in 1861, lodging with a woman called Dawson?

Joshua's grandson Robert married a Maria Dawson, who is the youngest sister of the woman Joshua was lodging with. Another of his grandsons lived near Halifax - perhaps he was doing a grand tour before he took himself off to the Royal Hospital?

Nice one - thanks!

This is proving a very interesting line to research as they are always close neighbours to my Holdens although it was to be another two generations before the two familes married.

OC

Comment

Working...
                              X