PDA

View Full Version : Record Office: Look ups offered in Alverstoke/Gosport hants

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Punchs mum
24-02-08, 19:07
Anyone need any look-ups in Alverstoke/Gosport Our local Study Centre keep Parish Records for this area on microfiche. Am able to do searches of baptisms, marriages and burial records if anyone needs anything checked out. Let me know and I will see what I can do.
Lesley.

borobabs
24-02-08, 21:47
Oh Hello dear ;;;well I dont know if my G Grandad was born there or not , it changes spelling from on census from Alverston to Alverton, Alvethorpe ;;
he is William Taylor b ab 1861 father William Taylor ;;;would be so grateful if you could find him ;;;

Punchs mum
24-02-08, 22:11
Would you believe, my tree is full of Taylors! Will check out the Parish Records for you when I am in town this week. Will keep you posted.
Lesley

Punchs mum
24-02-08, 22:34
Boro babs....do you know his Williams mothers name at all? Lesley

Geraldine
24-02-08, 22:59
Just about all my Redmans & Sangers are from Alverstoke!

Christine in Herts
24-02-08, 23:05
That's a kind offer, Lesley, but I think I shall have to visit, myself!

There are bits of my tree, and of OH's, who stray in that direction - but I should want to get copies of the PR entries, not just transcriptions.

Having said that, if you see and PAFOOTs (or variants - but don't bother with actual PAFFORDs, because they're the more modern variant and I haven't moved forward far enough to know which ones I'd want.), some transcriptions might be useful - either as new data or to confirm/fill out existing info.

thanks
Christine

borobabs
24-02-08, 23:09
Lesley oh thanks and fingers X ,,,no we dont know his mothers name only the person he married ;;;Mary Ann Pickering ;;

Punchs mum
25-02-08, 09:19
Christine copies of Parish Records are not a problem. They are only 30p a go! Some are not as clear as one would want but most are readable. Will have a look for you for some Pafoots! I know in my searches I have seen Paffords though!!
Lesley

KiteRunner
25-02-08, 11:35
Babs, wasn't he born in Yorkshire rather than Hampshire? Or am I thinking of somebody else?

borobabs
25-02-08, 12:54
Yes thought so Kite but now carnt find him looking anywhere that looks like Alver???? at end ;;

Punchs mum
25-02-08, 19:00
Boro Babs, Re your William Taylor b1861c........Have you looked at the 1871 Census. There is a William Taylor b.Dec 1862 in Alverstoke. Father William Taylor, a policeman and mother Elizabeth. Could this be any relation to you? If it is I can get you a copy of the Parish Record for his baptism from our local Study Centre.

Lesley

Punchs mum
25-02-08, 19:12
Christine in Herts. Had a quick look today in Study Centre. Have found a Frances Pafoot married to John Jeffrey on 28/4/1808. Witness Ann Warren and James ?? (unreadable!))

S*ds law..... today had someone waiting to use the one and only decent microfiche after me so had to cut visit short. Usually I can use it as long as I want. If this is a connection and you need the print out, I can get one for you. Hoping to visit and search some more on Thurs/Sat. Hopefully with no one breathing down my neck!! Will keep you posted
Lesley

borobabs
25-02-08, 21:06
Lesley have no idea babe , but dont think so as on there wedding cert it says William Taylor father labourer (deceased) dont think policeman would have ever been labourer ;; they married in 1884

Christine in Herts
25-02-08, 23:31
Christine in Herts. Had a quick look today in Study Centre. Have found a Frances Pafoot married to John Jeffrey on 28/4/1808. Witness Ann Warren and James ?? (unreadable!))

S*ds law..... today had someone waiting to use the one and only decent microfiche after me so had to cut visit short. Usually I can use it as long as I want. If this is a connection and you need the print out, I can get one for you. Hoping to visit and search some more on Thurs/Sat. Hopefully with no one breathing down my neck!! Will keep you posted
Lesley

Just had to vacate the big computer where it's easiest to find out where I'm up to. OH needs to get some work done before tomorrow. (Subsequently got there via the in-house network!)

Having said that, there are so few PAFOOTs around that there's almost certain to be a connection somewhere along the line, as I get to know them better. I have that Frances (provisionally) as being the Fanny who was 1st cousin to my Gx3-g-mother, Elizabeth FOSTER, née PAFOOT. I haven't got quite enough info to work out the connections yet. Sometimes they spell the name with only one O, or with two Fs or two Ts - or any permutation of those! Charles, John or Elizabeth as first names are particularly promising for my tree, along with William and Ann.

I think I probably could justify getting my own set of fiches for St Mary's Portsea and St Mary's Portchester - and, probably St Thomas's, too! With CHRISTMAS and RUSSELL, especially - and some from OH's tree, as well!

In OH's tree there is this marriage:
2 Feb 1843, Alverstoke, John CONNARY (b c 1800) and Ann WHITEHEAD née SA(I)NSBUR(R)Y [M073578]
I don't have a copy of that one yet - Mr Connary wasn't his ancestor - but it would be good to fill in the spaces.

And this one (for which I already have a cert, so don't really need the PR...):
m 21 Oct 1853 Par Ch Alverstoke, Hants 2b/718 [M073579] Caroline Elizabeth WHITEHEAD and James COCK(S)
Spinster, Gosport, of full age
witnesses: R x Lacy & Margaret Millett (her mark)

Anything like that would be good. PM me with what I owe, if you're able to get me any copies.

thanks very much
Christine

Punchs mum
26-02-08, 09:11
Christine, Forgot to say I did find some Paffetts as well, would they be any any possible connection to you? Lesley

Christine in Herts
26-02-08, 14:38
I think there are a few occasions when the name gets rendered that way, thanks.

Even if they aren't mine, they'll help to identify which is which.

Christine

Rach
27-03-08, 01:59
Hi Lesley
My gt* grandparents Peter PAFFORD and Jane Golding and their eleven children lived in Gosport from around 1775. Peter was christened, married and buried in Titchfield. l am stuck at Peter so am trying to connect him with other Pafford's living in the SE Hampshire area in the 1700s.
l am related via Peter's son Joseph who married Alley BERRY, daughter of Samuel and Ally Berry of Gosport.
l would be very intested in anything you happen to come across about PAFFORD's (or PAFFARD)
At this stage l don't know what, if any, is the connection to Christine's PAFFOOT's.
Also in 1790's Samuel Berry was a victualler of "The Row Barge", Beach, Gosport do you know where that was or how l could find out anything about it?
Thanks Rach

Richard
27-03-08, 02:20
Lesley

I have the following family in Alverstoke

William Harris and Jane Bertha (transcribed as Bathia on IGI) Collins married 4 Feb 1787.

I know Jane died in Alverstoke 1856, William pre 1841, after 1804, possibly in Gosport or Alverstoke

If you are able to find any info on them, especially their burials, would be much appreciated.

Punchs mum
27-03-08, 20:17
Richard and Rachel, Will see if I can find anything out for you both when I visit the local study centre next week. Will keep you posted on anything I find.
Lesley

Richard
27-03-08, 20:28
Thanks Lesley

Rach
29-03-08, 04:19
Thanks Lesley
Does the centre cover Fareham?
l have just come acoss a WILLIAM PAFFORD painter, plumber, glazier in the trade directory for Fareham 1792-98.
My gt** grandfather PETER PAFFORD was also a painter, plumber, glazier at the same time in Gosport. l have never come across William before and would love to find out who he is.
Thanks again for your generous offer of help
regards Rachel

Punchs mum
31-03-08, 18:44
Richard, Have found a burial record for a William Harris buried in St. Mary's Churchyard Alverstoke, Gosport on 8th December 1833. He was 78 years old. Could this be yours?
Also Have found the burial record for Jane Bertha Harris. Buried Anns Hill Cemetery Gosport 7/2/1856 Plot 66 Unconcecreted ground (whatever that means) She is listed as a widow age 93! of North Street Gosport.
Finally I also have the parish record of their marriage in 1789, although a bit difficult to read but readable!! If you would like these printouts, pm me your address and I will post them to you.
Lesley

Rachel, Haven't forgotten your request for lookups. Hopefully will be able to go to Study Centre again at the end of the week. Unfortunately, they only hold records for Gosport/Alverstoke not Fareham
Lesley

Richard
01-04-08, 00:52
Thanks Lesley, that's wonderful stuff. Can't be 100% certain that is William, as not appearing on the censuses I can't really be sure how old he was, though has to be a pretty likely candidate. That is certainly Janes in any case, her and Williams children were all baptised in the High Street 'Independant' church, Gosport. Have no idea what denomination that indicates, but of course clearly not C of E, which no doubt explains the non consecrated burial!

Anyway thank you again Lesley, so kind of you to do these look ups, and it is certainly very much appreciated. The copies also would be fantastic, though hope its not putting you out to much, will PM my address, very happy to cover any postage costs etc.

Regards

Richard

Punchs mum
01-04-08, 09:25
Richard,
I think the church in the High Street is Catholic. Or at least, the church there now is! I believe it's called St. Mary's.
Lesley.

Richard
01-04-08, 12:17
Hi again Lesley

Have been doing a bit of a googling and apparantly the Independent Church in Gosport is not the same place, it was Presbyterian/Calvinist group of protestant dissenters, who met up in a house on the high street, rather than having it's own consecrated chapel. So that solves that one from me. I suppose not having a 'church' as such they wouldn't have had a grave yard either, so were buried in the local cemetery in the unconsecrated patch!

Richard

Janet
01-04-08, 13:49
Hi Lesley,

That is a very kind offer. My OH is looking for Sturdy in Alverstoke and I wonder if you have found any Sturdy during your researches?

Janet

Uncle John
01-04-08, 21:29
Lesley, if you fall over any Trotmans in your travels, I'd be grateful. They are a very distant twig so please don't go looking specially.

Val and George
02-04-08, 06:02
Anyone need any look-ups in Alverstoke/Gosport Hants. Our local Study Centre keep Parish Records for this area on microfiche. Am able to do searches of baptisms, marriages and burial records if anyone needs anything checked out. Let me know and I will see what I can do.
Lesley.

Hello Lesley, we would really appreciate any help you could give us discovering a birth for a William Samain/Semaine/Semain around 1800. On every census he gives his place of birth as Gosport - and the year would be 1800 or maybe a year either side. This is our one big sticking point, if only we could find out who his parents were it would then enable us to continue with the family tree. As all the family were living in the East End of London we can't imagine why he was born in Gosport. Many thanks - Val and George

Punchs mum
02-04-08, 09:00
Janet Uncle John and Val and George. Will see what I can find for you all but please be patient as searching is time consuming and Rachels search is next on my list!! It may take a couple of weeks as there is only one decent fiche to use in the library and if someone is using it, it is a case of waiting.
Will do my best for you all
Lesley

Janet
02-04-08, 09:25
Lesley,

Thanks for offering to help. I do realise that Family History, like Rome, was never built in one day, so take all the time you want. Thanks once again for offering to help. We know there is a John Sturdy from Alverstoke and wondered if there were any more.

Janet

Val and George
03-04-08, 23:42
Thankyou Lesley, living in Oz we are happy to wait as it isn't likely we shall get there ourselves. We are just so grateful there are people like you who are generous with their time, and willing to help other people. Cheers Val and George

Uncle John
04-04-08, 11:08
Thank you Lesley. When I first discovered this lot (they upped sticks to Sunderland and had half their family there) I imagined Alverstoke to be rural!

Punchs mum
08-04-08, 19:25
Rachel. With regard to your Paffard/Pafford in Alverstoke, I think I came across every baptism record for the 11 children of Peter and Jane! I assume you have all their details. Your main interest was Joseph who was bapt. 8/11/1789son of Peter and Jane. There was a baptism of Joseph Pafford s/o Joseph and Alley on 15/1/1815. Alley Berry d/o Samuel and Ally bapt 26/10/1783.
Pafford/foot?.Ann Dougall d/o Mary by John!! Bapt. 24/1/1802. The majority of the fiches for around the 1800's are very pale and sometimes completely unreadable Hence the question marks. All these baptisms were Holy Trinity Church, Gosport.
Pafford. Maria d/o George and Mary bapt 8/4/1792
Pafford James s/o the above bapt.23/6/1793 Also Holy Trinity. Gosport

Burials. Alley Pafford abode. Southsea Age 54 buried H/T 29/1/1848
Joseph Pafford abode Portsmouth Age 67 buried 26/8/1849 H/T

Don't know if any of these could be yours Rachel. If they are and you would like the Parish Record printed out I am more than willing to do so for you.

Haven't forgotten the other look-ups requested...they are still on my'to do' list!

Janet. Marriage of John Sturdy to Harriet Barnes 5/4/1830 byBanns at Holy Trinity Church Gosport
witness Martha Bond or Pond and James Lear?

Marriage of Mary Ann Sturdy to Charles Potts 9/9/1834 at Alverstoke
witness Agnes Witchurch? and Thomas Witchurch? (not too clear)
Any connection to your Sturdys, Janet?

Lesley

Rach
09-04-08, 05:07
Thankyou so much Lesley, l know reading those parish registers is not easy work. As l said any information on PAFFORD/ PAFFARD's in the Alverstoke area is very useful as l know they are all related but am stuck in the 1700s trying to work out exactly who fits in where. George; father of James and Maria is a mystery not sure how he fits in.
l did not have the burials of Jospeh and Alley so thats fantastic and interesting too; as they weren't living in Gosport l never realised they were buried there!! l am guessing Alley's age was wrong or hard to read as she should have been 64. Joseph l know was born in 1783 earler than his christening so that must be him. No need for the print out thanks for the offer though.
If you ever get a chance (l know you have a long list of requests) could you please look for burials at Alverstoke/ Gosport for:
Edward PAFFARD 16Oct1803
Amelia PAFFORD 13Feb1831
James PAFFORD 01Jan1832
l am trying to work out who they are so any ages relatives names etc. would be very useful.
THANKS AGAIN Rachel

Janet
09-04-08, 14:53
Lesley,

Sorry not to have replied but only just picked these up today. Thank you very much for this information. The Mary Ann Sturdy and Charles Potts is definitely ours, but the John Sturdy marrying Harriet Barnes is new to us, but I am sure there is a connection. That has given me more food for thought, so thank you very much for the information and your time in looking.

Janet

Punchs mum
09-04-08, 16:51
If you would like the print out of the parish records, of the two marriages, just let me know. It won't be until next week though.

Lesley.

Janet
09-04-08, 22:08
Lesley

A printout of the Sturdy Marriages would be very nice, but only if you have the time. Thanks again for your help.

Janet

Punchs mum
10-04-08, 19:24
Sorry Val and George but had no Luck with your William Samain/Semaine/Semain b. around 1800 in Gosport. The best I could do was Seaman or Simmons. Mind you, as I said in a previous post, the micro fiches for the early 1800's are illegible in places and very faint in others.
Don't know if you have a sub. on Ancestry but there is a public tree on there for William Semaine b. Gosport around 1800. They are also having problems with Williams parents and have listed 'unknown' on it. Apparently William died 5/6/1888.
Will keep a look out for the name though whilst I am doing other searches.

Sorry I couldn't help. Lesley.

Val and George
11-04-08, 02:12
Thanks so much Lesley for looking, he is a real conundrum this William Samain. Yes we do have a sub to Ancestry and GenesR and we have a Samain/Semain Research group going - about 5 of us. I am sure that one day we will 'crack the code' but at the moment we are all just playing the waiting game, not quite sure which way to go next. We really appreciate your help. Good luck with your own research - best wishes - Val and George

Punchs mum
14-04-08, 15:47
Hi Again Rachel Have found burial records for 2 of the 3 Paffords/Paffards you were asking about. They are in Holy Trinity Gosport.

Amelia Pafford abode Gosport buried13/2/1831 aged 2 months
James Pafford abode Gosport buried 1/1/1832 aged 5 years 7 months.
No luck yet with finding Edwards burial.

Also I checked Hampshire Directory 1784 for Gosport and found the record of Samuel Berry, The Row-Barge, Beach. listed as you said under Victualler. I have printed off the page for you. I assume The Row-Barge was a public house as it is listed with all the other PH's in the area. Did enquire if they had any street maps of that era but they said not that early. There was a Beach Street in Gosport in the 1800's, It is possible it is that. Also listed in the same Directory is Peter Pafford. Painter, North street (Gosport). I assume he is one of yours as well. If you would pm me your address I will forward these prints outs on to you.

Janet, Have printed out the Parish Records of the two marriages for you. John Sturdy to Harriett Barnes and Mary Anne Sturdy to Charles Potts. Like Rachel, if you pm you address will send the copies on to you.

Lesley

Note for Uncle John. Have not come across any Trotmans yet!! Can you give me a rough idea of what time scale you are interested in!

Lesley

Uncle John
14-04-08, 22:04
Hi Lesley

William Trotman and Eliza Lee married q4 1860 in Alverstoke district. They then had some children registered in Alverstoke (I've found 4) before upping sticks to Sunderland some time between 1872 and 1877.

Eliza was born in Gosport c. 1844 (according to censuses). William came from Woodford, Gloucestershire.

One of the children (the first one born in Sunderland) was my wife's great-aunt's second husband, which is why I haven't gone beyond the BMD index entries.

Punchs mum
14-04-08, 22:33
Hi Uncle John. Now I have some dates I will see if I can find anything on the Parish Records for you. Won't be until the end of the week though. I haven't forgotten you!

Lesley

Punchs mum
21-04-08, 21:00
Hi Uncle John. Don't know if any of the following will be of any help to you. I know you have the marriage date of William Trotman and Eliza Lee but I looked up the marriage cert.for further detail.
William Trotman of full age Batchelor. Private RM abode Forton (that's in Gosport) father Anthony Trotman, a Keeper
Eliza Lee of full age spinster abode Forton Father William Lee. Mariner.
Married12th November 1860 Parish Church Alverstoke.
Witnesses William Lee and Mary Rogers.

Baptism St. Johns church
William Anthony s/o William and Eliza Trotman bapt.11/8/1866 Born 25/12/1863
Father Pensioner RM.

Then to confuse things baptisms at St. Matthews Church ( in Gosport)
John Thomas s/o William TROCKMAN and Eliza 25/6/1869
Eliza d/o " " " " "
William Anthony " " " " " Father Labourer.

Do you think this is a mistranscription? If so, why is there another William Anthony? Over to you Uncle John!!

Oh. almost forgot. There was a Charles Thomas s/o Charles and Sarah Trotman born 17/2/1865 bapt. 9/4/1865 Father RM. (Royal Marine) in St. Johns church. Gosport.

Hope some of this info is helpful to you.
Lesley

Uncle John
21-04-08, 21:24
Ooh, thanks very much Lesley. I'm in touch with three Trotman descendants so I've emailed this info. on to them.

bricollin
03-05-08, 11:03
Anyone need any look-ups in Alverstoke/Gosport Hants. Our local Study Centre keep Parish Records for this area on microfiche. Am able to do searches of baptisms, marriages and burial records if anyone needs anything checked out. Let me know and I will see what I can do.
Lesley.

Hi Lesley,
I am interested in the marriage of Jeffery Parfitt and Ann Pennant in Alverstoke on 1st Feb 1813. Would it please be possible to check the entry to see what supplementary info is given, if any?
Many thanks, very kind of you to offer look-ups.
Regards,
Brian
Kent

Punchs mum
13-05-08, 21:17
Hi Brian, Sorry have only just seen your thread!! Have been to Study Centre today as well!!! Will have a look for you when I go next. Maybe not until next week though. Will be in touch again when and if I find anything for you!!

Lesley

Punchs mum
14-05-08, 16:37
Brian......managed a quick visit to Study Centre today and found the following for you as requested.

Jeffery Parfitt married Ann Pennant by Banns with the consent of Richard Warren this first day of February in the year 1813 In the presence of Richard Warren and Ann Habnet.

Have photo copied the entry. If you need it for your records pm me your Address, don't think it will scan all that well as it is a bit feint.

Regards Lesley

Theresa
18-05-08, 05:50
Hello,

I've been having a hard time trying to find out burial details of my GG-Grandparents who died in Alverstoke, and one on the Isle of Wight. I'm not quite sure where else to go - and being in Australia isn't helping the cause !

I'm seeking records for -
Samuel Scott - B 1836 (wiltshire) D 1899 (Alverstoke)
Emma Scott (nee Line) B 1843 (Wiltshire) D 1918 (Calbourne)

Thanks, Theresa

Christine in Herts
19-05-08, 07:51
Theresa

IoW has it's own FHS-run BMD site,
Isle of Wight Family History Society (http://www.isle-of-wight-fhs.co.uk)
complete with info on how to obtain a cert from the Local Register Office.

Emma's death registration is recorded there. Cert prices should be the same as for GRO.

Don't forget that the Local RO's had the record before the GRO, which "harvested" the info quarterly from the Local offices.

Christine

PS - re-reading your posting suggests that I haven't provided what you're after. But the IoW FHS might be able to help if you contact them? You might have to join for a year or something.

Theresa
19-05-08, 08:44
Thanks Chrisitine, I'll give that a try!

Punchs mum
19-05-08, 09:10
Will have a look at the Burial Records for Alverstoke for your rellie when I am in the Study Centre next. May not be until the end of the week though. Keep looking in, will let you know if or what I find.

Lesley

Punchs mum
19-05-08, 09:18
Christine, Don't know if this one could be one of yours but came across it the other day whilst in Study Centre. As it was not a common name, made a note of it as I knew someone was researching it, just realised it could be one for you

Clifford Searle Christmas son of George and Elizabeth buried Gosport on 22/7/1903 Age 3. I know it is quiete recent, but may be a connection for you.
Lesley

Punchs mum
19-05-08, 17:03
Hello again. Well, curiousity got the better of me and have been to the Study Centre this afternoon and this is what I have found re your Samuel Scott.

Samuel Scott Labourer age 61 years died 36 Elmhurst Road (in Gosport) on Dec.28th 1899. Buried Anns Hill Cemetery in unconsecrated ground plot No.14. The micro fiche also showed the Entry as No16363 Page 27. I have photo copied the entry.if you want me to scan it to you.
Also, when I returned I had a Message from Merry re this man waiting in my inbox, she tells me she is a relly of yours. Have mailed her this info as well. Good luck finding his OH on the Isle of Wight. Sorry, but can't help you with that one!! I think Merry is on the trail though so I am sure she will get you a good result!

Lesley

Christine in Herts
20-05-08, 07:41
Christine, Don't know if this one could be one of yours but came across it the other day whilst in Study Centre. As it was not a common name, made a note of it as I knew someone was researching it, just realised it could be one for you

Clifford Searle Christmas son of George and Elizabeth buried Gosport on 22/7/1903 Age 3. I know it is quiete recent, but may be a connection for you.
Lesley

I don't immediately recognise it, but will follow up later on, when I have some time. Probably not popular if I get into this now, when I'm supposed to be packing for our next drive onward on our holiday! May not have internet access after this - unless we want to spend an arm and a leg (which we don't!).

Christine

Theresa
20-05-08, 09:21
Hi Lesley,

You have been such a great help. I've been at this for months and in the matter of one day you find an answer for me. I'm heading over to the UK (from oz) in about 6 weeks and plan to pay respects on behalf of the Aussie Clan.

Thank you so much. Theresa.

Punchs mum
20-05-08, 09:31
Hi Theresa, Only to pleased to be able to help when I can. Bring some warm sunshine with you when you come over!
Lesley

Meridian Line
20-05-08, 12:36
Lesley,

hope you don't mind if I put a link to a site which is brilliant if you've got ancestors in Hampshire, people requesting look ups might not know about it.

Hampshire Family History - Parish Registers (http://website.lineone.net/~hantshistory/pr.html)

captaincaveman
25-05-08, 09:42
Hi Lesley I am looking for the parents/siblings of a Robert Pearce born 1823 in Portsea

Thanks

Punchs mum
25-05-08, 12:30
Simon, I am sorry but I can only do lookups in Gosport/Alverstoke. I know Portsea is only just across the harbour though!!

Have you looked on Family Search.org. site? There is a Robert Pearce married to Ann Helsley on 13/2/1820 at St. Marys Portsea. Roberts baptism record on there show his parents as being Robert and Ann. The marriage date would be about right.

Lesley

captaincaveman
25-05-08, 20:29
Thanks Lesley I did not know about that site, I have found alot already. I am hoping to come to Portsmouth soon to research my great-great-great grandfather Thomas Hobbins (was the longest ever serving member of the Royal Marines)

Simon

Theresa
26-05-08, 11:50
Hi Lesley, I'm back with another look up for you when you have a chance. Thanks to Merry's help I've found that my Emma isn't in Calbourne at all - she's in Alverstoke.

Can you check for her burial record ?
Emma Scott D 1925 in Alverstoke.

Thanks!

Punchs mum
26-05-08, 15:03
Hi Theresa, Will have a look for you as soon as I can get to town! Keep checking the boards for a reply.

Lesley

Keith Trotman14
27-05-08, 11:42
I would be interested in any information about the Trotman family that lived in Alverstoke in the 1850-1870 especially Anthony Trotman and his son William.

Punchs mum
28-05-08, 09:11
Hello Keith, I have already done lookups for the Trotmans for Uncle John. He has this name in his line. If you look at my posting dated 21/4 on this thread you will see what I have found re the Trotmans including a William and Anthony. If you need any print outs of this info, let me know and will get some next time I am in the Study Centre.

Lesley.

Keith Trotman14
28-05-08, 10:55
Many Thanks Lesley, I think I know who Uncle John is, however if its any help to you I have just finished a book on my family called "The Trotmans of Woodford" which is in fact the same family that lived in Portsmouth in the mid 1800s. I also know,I think who Mary Rogers was. Call me any time I live in Pagham. Regards Keith Trotman.

Punchs mum
28-05-08, 15:44
Hi again Theresa.

This is what I have found for you re Emma Scott

Entry No.25966 Emma Scott Widow age 82 years of 44 Brougham Str.
Buried Jan 13th (1925) plot 68 Consecrated.

This is of course in Anns Hill Cemetery Gosport.

Hope this helps. What would we all do without Merry eh!!!

Lesley

Theresa
31-05-08, 01:35
Hi Lesley,

As always you've been a great help - and you're right, what would we do without Merry!

I'm looking forward to visiting Ann's Hill when I'm over. I will try to bring the sunshine, but we're not having too much of it here either!

Theresa

Keith Trotman14
31-05-08, 10:26
Hi Lesley, Its me again. The story of Anthoney Trotman B1827 the Keeper from Woodford in Gloucestershire is very interesting, but up until William his son's marriage to Eliza has to remain a theory. However, Anthony we think at the age of 14 or 15 took a job as a servant at 'Halmore' the house of Elizabeth Browning not far from his house, and we think that he had an affair with one of the servant girls, a child was born who could be William, consequently illegitimate. We also think that William was brought up by his aunt Mary Trotman see 1841 census on the end of family list age 3. You will notice that Mary had a daughter also named Mary, so this was Williams step sister. Young Mary was eventually married and her married name was Rogers, and this is who we believe was at William and Eliza's wedding. Anthony we think disapeared or met with an untimely death. Keith Trotman.

Punchs mum
31-05-08, 10:48
Wow, Keith, that is so interesting!! I don't know why they call this hobby (or rather addiction) Genealogy!! It is more like being a super sleuth detective!! How satisfying when one can put some 'meat on the bones' as they say. It seems that all families have skeletons in their cupboard at some point in time. Unfortunately, I am still trying to solve the mystery of mine. I will get some answers eventually, I hope.

I wonder what happened then to poor Anthony. No doubt in time you will find out. Thanks for the story of your Trotmans. Am off to look at the 1841 census now!
Lesley

Sue1
22-07-08, 12:11
Hi, My 1st post on this site!

I wonder if it would be possible to do an Alverstoke lookup for me please.

In 1868 George Foster b 1840 Audlem, Cheshire, Colour Sergeant, RMLI, Forton Barracks, married Mary Ann Rowland b 1849, Cape of Good Hope SA. I have this wedding certificate which shows the wedding took place at St. Thomas Elson.

Whilst George was still in the RMLI (up until 1881) he had a few children. I have been unable to find any record of baptisms - I wonder if it would be possible to find them? I don't think they were "done", if at all, at St. Thomas as I have checked online. The children's names were:

George William R Foster ........................ b c1870
Walter H Foster .................................. b c1872
N.M Foster ......................................... b c1873
Grace E Foster .................................... b c1879
William ............................................... b c1880

There seems to be a bit of a gap between 1873 and 1879 - perhaps he was at sea!
There may of course have been some deaths.

Many thanks,

Sue

I should mention, in case it is helpful to anyone, I have a copy of the handwritten Forton Barracks Census for 1881.

Elizabeth Herts
22-07-08, 13:02
Hi Lesley!

Could you please look at my Catto/Smith family in Gosport/Alverstoke for me?

Keith Catto was born c. 1780. He married Margaret Forbes on 31 Mar 1761 at St Mary's Portsea.

He died c. 1800 (I have his will).

I would be grateful if you could look for his burial, and that of his wife Margaret, who predeceased him.

Their daughter Jane married William Smith (I know:o, but I'm lucky that they are my only Smiths!) on 5 Feb 1791 at St Mary's Portsea. However, their five children appear to have been baptised at Holy Trinity Gosport.

If it isn't too difficult, burials for Jane and William would be appreciated, but if there are too many Smiths, please don't bother too much!

The children were Jane (my ancestor), Margaret, Elizabeth, Charlotte and Walter. Any marriages for them (if they appear easily!) would be appreciated.

Thanks very much for your kind offer. :)

Punchs mum
22-07-08, 17:09
Elizabeth,

Will see what I can do. Give me a few days and will get back to you.

Lesley

Punchs mum
22-07-08, 17:11
Ooops Elizabeth! Something wrong here with your dates! You have Keith Catto b.1780 and Married in 1761! Can I assume you have mixed the dates round?

Lesley

Elizabeth Herts
22-07-08, 18:00
Hi Lesley,

Sorry for the typo -

Keith Catto was born c. 1740, not 1780! I wonder if he was Scottish, and Margaret too.

Thanks so much for your help.

Punchs mum
23-07-08, 20:17
Hi Elizabeth, Did manage a quick visit today and found the following for you

Keith Catto Buried Holy Trinity Gosport January 1801 (I think possibly the 20th)
Margaret Catto buried Holy Trinity Gosport april 1792.

No other info on the Burial records available. If you want copies printed out let me know and next time I am down there will get some for you.

Re Jane and William Smith.....Have you any idea of their dates of death?

Will check out the rest for you when I have more time. Was a flying visit today.

Lesley

Elizabeth Herts
23-07-08, 21:26
Lesley, thanks so much for your look up.

I'll get back to you with info for the Smiths. (Still feeling poorly - stomach bug and only just picking up. OH has at least stopped throwing up!)

Punchs mum
23-07-08, 21:37
No rush Elizabeth. May not be able to get to S. Centre until next week now anyway.

Hope you and OH are soon feeling better!! Keep your bugs in Herts don't send them down to Hants!!!

Lesley

Christine in Herts
29-08-08, 13:37
Hello Lesley

I've just come across a strictly not-needed-but-may-be-interesting event in Gosport:

m 24 Nov 1722, Holy Trinity, Gosport [M073561]
John MONEY & Martha WOOL

I'm trying to get earlier with a tricky bit of the tree. It's a guess (it's actually the less-likely of two plausible baptisms relating to my maybe Sarah MONEY) based on a guess (that Sarah MONEY & Edward FOSTER, m 15 MAY 1763 Saint Marys, Portsea, [M062611] were the parents of Thomas FOSTER b Beauworth 1767-8), so not at all reliable. This one is really the less likely of two possible marriages (on the IGI - but could be more elsewhere, of course!). However, there might be some snippet of info - i.e. a name - which might swing the decision one way or the other.

It's definitely not worth a special journey but a possible filler, if you have a bit of spare time when you're at the local RO for some other purpose. I'm asking only because your kind offer presents an opportunity to get the info in case I find it's the right marriage.

thanks
Christine

Punchs mum
29-08-08, 16:27
Will have a look for you Christine, when I am next in town. Not guaranteeing a result though as some of the older fiches are so feint they can't been read!!
Will probably be next week sometime now but will let you know one way or t'other!!

Lesley

Val and George
30-08-08, 00:16
That is a very kind offer and I have been directed to you as I have been chosen for WDWTYA this week.
I am looking for a William Semaine/Samain who gives his birth on most of the census as Gosport c.1800. Grampa Jim checked the Independent Chapel in Gosport for me and came up with a William Eman son of John and Ann Eman19/11/1800, I shall keep him in mind as I couldn't find him in the 1841 census and I haven't looked for a death as yet.

All of Williams children were baptised in St Lukes Church in Shoreditch so I imagine we could probably rule out the RC church for searches.

So, should you have the opportunity to look for him I would be most grateful as I really need to know who his parents were to continue the line back further.
Gratefully yours, Val

Punchs mum
30-08-08, 09:35
Hello again! If you look back at post No38 on this thread you will see that I did have a look for your elusive Semaines in Gosport a while ago and like Grampa Jim, I had no success either. I will bear the name in mind though whilst I am searching through the fiches. I am down the Study Centre quiete regularly.
Sorry you are having no luck with your search. Isn't there a Gosforth somewhere in England? Geography is not my strong point!

Lesley

PS Just Googled 'Gosforth'. Looks like it is around Cumbria. Maybe that is worth a try.

Val and George
30-08-08, 10:17
Brilliant idea Lesley, I'll try that, and my apologies for having contacted you again. I am gradually getting the hang of this site and the people on it.
Back to the drawing board - and Gosforth. Thankyou, Val

Punchs mum
04-09-08, 18:11
Christine in Herts.

I had a quick look this afternoon at your John and Martha marriage at Holy Trinity Gosport in 1722. The only thing I noticed was that John's surname is spelt Monie. Nothing else jumped out at me. Not to sure just what you are wanting me to find look for. Didn't see any other Money/Monie at all.

Sue1.
Are you still looking for Foster Baptisms in Forton, Gosport father RM? Have some info for you if you are. PM me.

Lesley

Christine in Herts
04-09-08, 19:05
Christine in Herts.

I had a quick look this afternoon at your John and Martha marriage at Holy Trinity Gosport in 1722. The only thing I noticed was that John's surname is spelt Monie. Nothing else jumped out at me. Not to sure just what you are wanting me to find look for. Didn't see any other Money/Monie at all.

Sue1.
Are you still looking for Foster Baptisms in Forton, Gosport father RM? Have some info for you if you are. PM me.

Lesley

Thank you for having a look, Lesley.

I don't know whether the marriage is mine or not, really - but at least I now know that it's findable if I decide I'd like a copy.

I really need to get some work done in the Bishops Waltham area - I have FOSTERs, too. According to his marriage records, I have Thomas FOSTER, b 1767-8 Beauworth, who married in Bishops Waltham. There are some plausible baptisms on the IGI - but the online Baptism records for Beauworth only start in 1841, and the name is hardly uncommon, so I'm not sure whether the ones I've found are just coincidentally possible. I had Edward FOSTER and Sarah MONEY as possible parents and then that marriage I asked about was for possible parents for Sarah. All very tenuous.

I suppose it was more that there was an opportunity to get the info in case I do eventually need it!

So, many thanks

Christine

DebOz
03-09-09, 11:48
Lesley.

Hi Lesley,

As this is my first post on this site I hope I have put it in the right place.

I was wondering if you could possibly do a look up of a Montgomery family from Alverstoke. The only information I have is from the IGI:

John Montgomery married Sally Jackman in 1820 Alverstoke.

Would love to find out where they got married, witness names, John and Sally's parents. Also, if it was possible to find out if the couple had any children, baptisms?? Any information at all would be greatly appreciated :).

Deb

Punchs mum
03-09-09, 12:16
Hi Deb.

First can I say 'Welcome to the site'

I will see what I can find for you at our local Study Centre but it probably won't be until next week.
Unfortunately, a marriage in 1820 will not show the parents of the bride and groom! It should show witnesses......if the transcript is legible that is!

Lesley

Elaine ..Spain
03-09-09, 13:52
Lesley - would you like me to move this thread over to our new Research Offers forum where it may be easier for members to find.
Research Offers - Family Tree Forum (http://www.familytreeforum.com/research-offers)
- I would imagine on the Research Qs and As forum it keeps slipping off the first few pages.

I can leave a redirect on the Research Qs and As forum so that if anyone was used to finding it there they will be directed to the new forum.

Punchs mum
03-09-09, 17:18
Elaine, That is fine by me! Go ahead!

Lesley

Elaine ..Spain
03-09-09, 17:25
Moved! :)

I´ve added a Record Office prefix to the title as that seems most appropriate.

Joy Dean
03-09-09, 23:24
Yes, please, Lesley - baptisms for

William John Harrison born in 8 Marine View, Forton, Gosport 4 May 1859. (parents William and Priscilla Harrison)

Francis William Harrison born in Fareham 6 January 1878

John Harrison born in School Road, Fareham 18 August 1879

Priscilla Elizabeth Harrison born in Portsmouth 31 January 1882

Elizabeth Susan Harrison born in 13 Fort Cumberland Terrace, Eastney, Portsmouth 16 January 1885

Arthur George Harrison born in 13 Fort Cumberland Terrace, Eastney, Portsmouth 4 November 1887

(parents Joseph and Susan Harrison)

Punchs mum
04-09-09, 08:46
Morning Joy.

I can check the baptism for persons born is Alverstoke/Gosport, that is your William John Harris b1859 Gosport but the others are not covered by our local Study Centre. I think for Fareham you will need Winchester Records office and Portsmouth births are available at Portsmouth or, I think but not sure, Winchester Records office. Sorry about that. Will definately check for William though, some time next week.

I assume that the others were born and therefore, baptised in the area they were born!

Lesley

Joy Dean
04-09-09, 08:50
Thank you very much, Lesley.

A strange thing about little William, both he and his Mum were buried in unconsecrated ground, yet his Dad was buried in consecrated ground - a mystery that will never be solved, that one :-)

DebOz
04-09-09, 09:09
Hi Lesley,

Thanks for the welcome and responding so quick to my post. Sorry, I wasn't sure if there would be a father's name of bride on transcript or not. Just hoping to find something on them, fingers crossed :)

Deb

Punchs mum
04-09-09, 10:10
Joy. I always though that burials in unconsecrated grounds were for persons that were not bapstised. I am sure someone will put me right if I am wrong!!

Lesley

Punchs mum
04-09-09, 10:20
Hi Deb.

I did manage a quick visit yesterday to Study Centre. Found the marriage record dated 29th June 1820 for John Montgomery and Sally Jackman. Like I said, no parents but witnesses were John Coleman and Mary ? (couldn't decipher it) I did do a copy of the Parish Record which I could scan to you if you would like to send me your e mail address through a private message.

Also found a baptism for Sally Montgomery d/o John and Sally Montgomery Father Carpenter. B. 2/4/1823 baptised 25/5/1823.

Both these events were at St. Marys Church Alverstoke. Gosport. Will try again later to see if I can find anything else.

Have to go out now so will be off line till this evening.

Lesley.

Joy Dean
04-09-09, 16:18
Joy. I always though that burials in unconsecrated grounds were for persons that were not bapstised. I am sure someone will put me right if I am wrong!!

Lesley

Yes, that is what I had read, too; however, his Mum had definitely been baptised.

DebOz
05-09-09, 06:25
Hi Lesley,

Thanks so much for doing a look up for me, greatly appreciated!! So glad you found something :) Have sent my email address in a Personal Message.

Deb

DebOz
06-09-09, 09:39
Hi Lesley,

Thanks for the copy of the Marriage Certificate, it's great! Would it be possible to get copies of the Baptisms you found for John and Sarah Montgomery? I had a look at the IGI after you found Sarah's baptism and there is another child listed, James Montgomery bap. 1828 with same parents.

Would it also be possible to see if you can find James' Baptism as well the next time you're down the Study Centre? I must have missed James before as his last name is spelt "Montgomary" on the IGI.

If memory serves me correct one of my relations (they're gone now so I can't verify this :() mentioned that James Montgomery was a Mariner so maybe he followed in his father's footsteps.

Thanks again for all your help with this.

Deb

Punchs mum
07-09-09, 08:49
Deb. Will see what I can find re the Montgomerys when I am next in town.

Joy Haven't forgotten your look up for William Harrison!

Lesley

Punchs mum
09-09-09, 18:59
Joy, I am sorry but I couldn not find the baptism record for little William Harrison. The fiche at St. Johns church Forton, which is the nearest church to where they were living is practically illegible for the years 1859/60. There were a few which were readable by not for the one you wanted. I did check 3 other churches in the area but still no luck. Found the burial record for William and his mother Priscilla but you already have the details, I beleive, on that. I assume his poor Mum died shortly after childbirth. Very sad.

Sorry I couldn't help but will keep my eye open for William when I am there. You never know, I may find something when I am not looking for it. That is what usually happens.

Lesley

Joy Dean
09-09-09, 22:59
Joy, I am sorry but I couldn not find the baptism record for little William Harrison. The fiche at St. Johns church Forton, which is the nearest church to where they were living is practically illegible for the years 1859/60. There were a few which were readable by not for the one you wanted. I did check 3 other churches in the area but still no luck. Found the burial record for William and his mother Priscilla but you already have the details, I beleive, on that. I assume his poor Mum died shortly after childbirth. Very sad.

Sorry I couldn't help but will keep my eye open for William when I am there. You never know, I may find something when I am not looking for it. That is what usually happens.

Lesley

Thank you for looking for him.

Priscilla died 17 December 1860 in 8 Mill Lane, Forton, Gosport. Her body was interred 23 December 1860 in Anns Hill Cemetery, Gosport. Plot 53. Burial plot unconsecrated.

William died 24 May 1888 in 3 Victoria Street, Forton, USD. His body was interred 28 May 1888 in Anns Hill Cemetery, Gosport. Plot 104. Pensioner died age 73 yrs at Victoria Road, Forton.

Punchs mum
10-09-09, 08:59
Joy, It was the death of William Harrison s/o Priscilla that I found. buried 14/9/1860 plot 77 Anns Hill cemetery. I don't know if you already have that info.

Lesley.

Punchs mum
10-09-09, 09:18
Deb Oz.

Have copies of the baptism records you requested. Will scan them through to your private e mail address. Hope you can read them, they are a bit feint!

Lesley.

Joy Dean
10-09-09, 10:40
Joy, It was the death of William Harrison s/o Priscilla that I found. buried 14/9/1860 plot 77 Anns Hill cemetery. I don't know if you already have that info.

Lesley.

I do; thank you very much, Lesley.

William died 7 September 1860 in 8 Mill Lane, Forton, Gosport. Cause of death: 'Congestion of brain', he was age 1 year and 4 months, son of William Harrison, Private, Royal Marines. His body was interred 14 September 1860 in Anns Hill Cemetery, Gosport. Plot 77. Burial plot unconsecrated.

DebOz
10-09-09, 11:22
Deb Oz.

Have copies of the baptism records you requested. Will scan them through to your private e mail address. Hope you can read them, they are a bit feint!

Lesley.

Thank you for the copies, they're great! I'm so glad I found this site. You've been marvellous.

Deb :)

avzwrb
15-09-09, 18:12
Dear Punchs mum

I would be so grateful if you could find any information about

Thomas Meades, born 1819 (Meads, Mead)
Parents: Thomas Meades, Mary Anne Pope
Born 2 Aug 1819, Broad Street, Portsea

and his wife
Louisa Collins Birth1822, Hants Portsmouth

Marriage 21 Sep 1840, Alverstoke Hampshire
District: Alverstoke, Volume: 7 Page: 45.

That would be wonderful!

Wendy

Punchs mum
16-09-09, 08:43
Wendy. Can't help with the Portsmouth/Portsea lookups but can certainly check for Alverstoke marriage for you.

Will be in touch asap.

Lesley.

herebedragons
16-09-09, 09:06
Wow lesley, you are so busy, I hesitate to ask.. if you have found any Belstones in your research. I have Eliza Belstone b.1816 (B.Waltham) who married in Alverstoke to John Dacre, b'1812 in Upham. I also have a James Belstone christened Mar 1776in "Laverstoke" hants and I wonder if this should be Alverstoke? mnay thanks if you could have a look.

Punchs mum
16-09-09, 10:38
Alison,
Will put your Eliza and John marriage on my 'to do' list. There is actually a Laverstoke in Hampshire but not near me, so can't help with that one! Do you know near enough, when this couple married, I assume between 1830 and 1840?

Lesley

It's OK Alison, found the marriage on Family Search. It was 1838 but John is listed as Deaker not Dacre!! It was Averstoke so shouldn't be a problem.

avzwrb
16-09-09, 12:22
Dear Lesley

If while looking you turn up any information about Thomas Meades senior and his wife, that would also be handy. He married Mary Ann Pope at Alverstoke 25 Feb 1818.

With huge thanks for your kindness

Wendy

herebedragons
16-09-09, 19:53
Wow, thanks Lesley, I just assumed laverstoke was a mispelling because of the Alverstoke connection - oops, now I'll have to look it up and see where it is !

Punchs mum
21-09-09, 18:41
AVZWRB.

Found the marriage of Thomas Meades and Louisa Collins.
Married 21/9/1840 At St. Marys Church Alverstoke.
Thomas Meads Full Age . Bachelor . Mariner .Resident Gosport. Father Thomas Meades Mariner.

Louisa Collins . Minor . Spinster . Resident Gosport. Father Joseph Collins, Mariner
In the presence of Charles Lewis and mark of Sarah Lewis.
----0----
Marriage of Thomas Meades and Mary Ann Pope.
Married 25/2/1818 at St. Marys Church Alverstoke by Banns with consent of Joseph Gear? on 25th Feb,In the presence of Mary ? and Joseph Gear?

Have taken photo copies of these records. Should you wish to see them, send me a pm with your private e mail addy and I will scan them to you.

Lesley

Punchs mum
21-09-09, 18:51
Found the marriage record you requested of
John Deaker and Eliza Belstone on April ? (smudged!) 1838 at St. Marys Church Alverstoke.

John Deaker of full age. Bachelor Sawyer Residence Gosport . Father Thomas Deaker Sawyer.

Eliza Belstone of full age. spinster Residence Gosport Father John Belstone. Labr.

Witness L Lewis and Joseph Gear!

This Joseph Gear appears as witness in a lot of marriages! Don't know if this is normal! Were there professional witnesses???

Have photocopied this entry. If your want me to scan it to you, pm me your private e mail address.

Lesley

herebedragons
22-09-09, 09:49
That's brilliant, thanks Lesley, I'll pm you my e-mail. I think the church wardens/vergers were often as not roped in as witnesses, perhaps that what Joseph Gear was, it would be interesting to look him up in a census and check his occupation (I feel another side-track coming up!!!) Thanks again.

raywhit1942
07-10-09, 10:40
Hi Lesley

I have only recently started any Family research, but in a few months have reached back to the mid 1800's. There are many other 'threads', but for the moment I wish to add a bit to the Alverstoke one.

My first question / request is the whereabouts of Marine View Alverstoke? I have seen various references to addresses in Marine View, but have not managed to find it on any map - old (Epoch 1, 1:2500 OS) or indeed newer.

My interest in this road stems from the 1861 Census which gives the address of my g g Grandfather, Thomas Whitcomb, as "Military Arms, Marine View, Alverstoke", Thomas was the Publican. Thomas moved around Alverstoke / Gosport a bit and subsequent Census addresses do still appear on modern street maps - his final profession was coachman / cabman, which fits nicely into later family history.

On the general subject of Whitcomb(e),s in Alverstoke you may be able to help with Parish records.

I assume that Thomas Whitcomb, 1831 - 1832, was the Son of George Whitcomb (Carpenter) 1774 - 1856. I would like better confirmation of this, and info on any other children George may have had. The information which appears to tie George and Thomas is the 1851 Census and the marriage of George's Daughter, Selina, to W Goldie in 1850. Thomas and Mary Whitcombe are listed as witnesses- the church in this instance was St John the Evangelist, Forton.

Thomas Whitcomb married Mary Bridget Malone in June 1850 from BMD info. I'd like a little better data on this especially if it can cast further light on Mary Bridget. Her place of birth is variously stated as Gosport or London in various census returns. In 1851 it says London Middlesex with a profession of Boot Closer - this profession does tie into London - so how did she end up in Alverstoke?

Thomas and Mary had at least 11 Children. Three died in under 3 years of age, and several in childhood. There are two I cannot find any 'continuation' data on, Alice born 1858 and Mary born 1873.

Another bit of an 'enigma' is Clementina Rose Whitcombe born 1863 (d1895}. She had an eventful life including an illegitimate daughter 'Clementina Rose Whitcombe (The Second) born 1883 in Sheppy, Kent of all places, however she soon returned to Alverstoke and married Edward Savage in 1885. Parish record data on this would be very interesting.

Finally, my Walter Whitcombe born 1860 was my 1 g Grandfather. It would be nice to have a Baptism record for him to add to our history.

Ray

Punchs mum
08-10-09, 09:29
Re Alverstoke look-up.

Ray. have just seen your thread and will see what I can find for you but it won't be until next week now so don't think I am ignoring you!

Lesley

Punchs mum
12-10-09, 20:41
Hello Ray.

Have made a start on your request for lookups in Alverstoke and this is what I have found.

Looking at a 1860 map of Gosport I found that Marine View was in what is now known as Clayhall Road, Alverstoke. It looks possible that Marine View was a row of terraced houses which was not too far from Haslar Naval Cemetery. They were on the same side of the road. The Public House called The Military Arms is no longer there but looking at a map I have of old Pubs of Gosport was a bit further up the road on the opposite side of the road at the junction of Haslar Road. No doubt, you could find a present day map online and maybe get a rough idea for yourself.

I have found the marriage cert. of Thomas Whitcomb and Mary Bridget Malone and can confirm George Whitcomb, Carpenter, as his father.
Thomas was a bachelor and a labourer of Clay Hall.
Mary was a spinster of Gosport Father Edmund Malone Shoemaker.
Witnesses James Malone and Eliza ? (can't read it) It looks like both the bride and groom signed their own names too! Not the usual X!!

Have also, got the baptism record of your 1xg Grandfather Walter Whitcomb on May 3rd 1860 at Alverstoke St. Marys born 2nd February 1860 s/o Thomas and Mary. On the previous page is the baptism of his sister Alice who was baptised on the same day.

Have photo copies of the marriage and baptism records which I would be happy to scan to you if you want but will need you to pm me your private e mail address.

Did look for the marriage of Clemantine and Edward but had no luck but will go back another day and have another look.

Also found a marriage of the following
29/9/1898 James Henry Wright age 29 Bach. Seargant Major R E. Fort Monckton father William Carpenter to

Mary Ann Whitcomb age 27 of 70 Queens Road Gosport Father Charles Whitcomb a Bricklayer.
Witnesse Kate ann Saunders? the other one was illegible, too feint.

Don't know if this is one of yours as well.

Will go back another day to further my search.....hopefully!!!

Don't forget to email me your private address if you need the scans.

Lesley

raywhit1942
13-10-09, 12:15
Hello Leslie,

Thats a really great result, thanks so much. I would like to know a bit more about the Malone family, but tracing people before the 'proper' census is tricky?

George Whitcomb's wife Mary is stated to be a 'School Mistress' in census returns, so this may explain the fact that Thomas and Mary were literate and didn't have to use the 'X'?

I do not think that Mary Ann was from this line of Whitcombe's, it is a bit confusing as there is the marriage you have found in 1898 and another Mary Ann got married in Portsea in 1896, but there is no record of the birth of a Mary Ann about 1873 in Hampshire? There is a Mary Whitcomb, who I assume from census returns is Thomas's daughter, born in Alverstoke in June 1873.

There is a Charles Benjamin Whitcombe, born about 1816 in Alverstoke. He could have been one of George Whitcomb's children??? In the census returns he is stated to be a Royal Navy Master. He married three times, 1848, 1856, and 1876. His first wife, Ann Eliza Hobbs, seems to have 'disappeared', as there is no death record before Charles's second marriage in 1856. Rather surprisingly an Ann Eliza Hobbs gets married in Southampton in 1853 - could there have been a separation???? Interesting?

Ray

Punchs mum
13-10-09, 17:00
Ray, The scans should be on there way to you!

Lesley.

JoyEa
13-10-09, 23:10
Would you be able to look up the marriage of William TRIBE & Georgina A EARNSHAW between Oct-Dec 1898 Alverstone.
I am trying to confirm the parents of the bride and the connection to my family an would appreciate any assistance you can give.
On the IGI have found baptisms of children to William & Georgina TRIBE at St Marys Gosport.
Joy

Punchs mum
14-10-09, 10:03
Joy,

Are you sure you have the right date of marriage for William Tribe and Georgina? Have check BMD and the only marriage that fits in Alverstoke (I assume Alverstone was a typing error!) was in 1865 not 1898!!

If you check Welcome to Knightroots (http://www.knightroots.co.uk/) You will find that there are quite a few if the baptisms for this couples children transcribed on there. There are also more Tribes that may belong to your family.

If you need a copy of this 1865 marriage cert. or even baptism records I will be only too happy to get them for you. Please Let me know.

Lesley

JoyEa
15-10-09, 22:35
Hi Lesley

Sorry about the mix up. The marriage should be Jul-Sep 1865. The 1898 date is a possible death date for William TRIBE.

Thank you for the information on Knightroots, an excellent site. I found the eldest three children of William & Georgina Ann TRIBE there.

If the parents listed for Georgina Ann EARNSHAW link her to my EARNSHAW family I would appreciate any information you can give on this family.

The family I am researching is John EARNSHAW & Elizabeth HEWLAND and researching them has been a challenge as they moved around, Surrey - London - Kent - Scotland 1841 - Devon 1851 - Bristol. John EARNSHAW was a gunner in the Royal Artillery, a policeman and a prison warden. Not sure were or when he died.

Joy

Punchs mum
16-10-09, 08:36
Ok then Joy. Will checked out the marriage now I have the correct date!!
Will probably not be until next week now though but please keep checking back.

Lesley

Punchs mum
20-10-09, 16:08
Joy,

I am sorry but I had no luck finding the marriage of William Tribe and Georgina Earnshaw. I have searched through four of the local churches records with no luck. The only small ray of hope I have now is that one of the microfiches for another local church was missing,obviously misfiled. When it turns up, which no doubt it will eventually, I will check that one for you. Even checked out 1863 marriages in case there was a mistake with the date.

I did find the burial record for a William Tribe,a joiner, on 26/11/ 1898 of Joseph Str, Stoke Road. Age 57 buried in Anns Hill Cemetery, Gosport Plot 14 Unconcencrated ground. Don't know if this is one of yours.

Sorry I couldn't help today but will look again for the 'missing fiche' when I am next in town.

Do you know if they were Catholic?

Lesley

JoyEa
21-10-09, 23:07
Hi Lesley

As I mention previously researching my EARNSHAW family has been very challenging. What I am trying to do is prove the conection between my EARNSHAW family anf Georgina. What I have to date is

Georgina Ann EARNSHAW was bapt. in the parish of Charlton, Kent in 1836, d/o John & Elizabeth EARNSHAW, fathers occ. Gunner in R. Artillery.
1841 census she was in an army barracks in Scotland with her parents.
1851 census she was living with her parents and some of her siblings in Tavistock, Devon. Her father's occ. Assistant Warder.
1861 census her parents and some of Geogina's siblings are living in Portland, Dorset. Father's occ. Prison Officer.
1871 census mother with two of Georgina's sibling are living in Bristol.

I have have not found any link to the catholic church for this family.

On FreeBMD I found a marriage for a Georgina EARNSHAW in 1865 (Jun - Sep) Alverstoke, spouse options Willaim TRIBE or John Matthew MURRAY. I then checked 1881 census and found the Georgina A TRIBE, w/o William, age 43yrs, born Woolwick, Kent. The family were living at 86 Henry St Alverstoke.
A check several other sources and found 7 children and some of their bapts. at St Mary's Gosport between 1865 - 1872. The death dates I have are from Free BMD. William 1898 (O-D) Alverstoke, Georgina Ann 1903 (J-S) Alverstoke.

I am hoping that the parents names will be recorded at the time of her marriage.

Thank you for taking the time to search the records for me.
Joy

Punchs mum
22-10-09, 08:52
Joy, Yes, her fathers name would be on the marriage cert. if only I could find it! Alverstoke Parish covers more than one church, so it is a process of elimination really. Like I said, there was one Microfiche film missing, obviously miss filed which I am hoping will be found and I am able to search through when I am next in town. Keep checking back and I will let you know the outcome whether it is good news or bad!! The only other option if I can't find it is to send to the GRO for the marriage certificate.

Lesley

johnhy
04-11-09, 14:24
I am looking for info concerning a John Burbridge, born in Southampton about 1915. His father is named as John William BURBRIDGE, but might appear as William John. His mother was a Mary Maude LEMIN, but could be Maud Mary. I believe his father was in the Royal marines at Forton, Alverstoke and was born in Potterne. John was sent to Australia as part of the Fairbridge Farm Scheme in 1927. I have found no evidence of a marriage.

Punchs mum
04-11-09, 19:49
johnhy, I really need a bit more info than what you have given me to do a search. What makes you think that there may be a marriage in Gosport? Just because he was a Marine at Forton is not enough to point me in the right direction either date wise or place wise.

Lesley

Have you checked the Gedcom as there are Burbridge on there.?

Atcherley
27-11-09, 06:21
Hi Lesley

Thank you for your kind offer. Could you please have a look at the Alverstoke baptism register entry for Jane Atcherley on 14 Aug 1814 and let me know what it says? I know the parents' names from the IGI (James and Mary), but I would be interested to find out what it says regarding the family's abode and the father's occupation.

Many thanks,

Steve

Punchs mum
28-11-09, 13:06
Hi Steve and Welcome to FTF.

Will see if I can find anything for you but am almost sure that baptisms that far back do not give the abode or fathers occupation. Also, I find that the microfiche reading is also very feint for that era and there unreadable.

However, will check it out for you when I am in town next.

Please make sure you check back to this thread as I will let you know one way or the other if I have found anything for you.

Lesley

Punchs mum
05-12-09, 15:46
Hi Steve.

Found the batism record you wanted for Jane Atcherley.Daughter of James and Mary born in Stoke (that is an area of Gosport)
Father First St? Provisional (looks like) batn. Militia.
Bearing in mind Gosport was a military town looks like he was military. Don't really understand the rank of father but may be you do!

I have a photocopy of this record I can either post to you or if you PM me you e mail address, I can scan it through to you. The scan is quiet a clear one.

Lesley

Atcherley
05-12-09, 17:32
Thank you so much for looking that up for me Lesley. I had traced a little of James' military history through online sources and wondered if the baptism might add more. The Royal Military Chronicle (Vol. 1, No. 1) showed that on 17 Apr 1810 James Atcherley, gent., was made an Ensign in the Worcestershire Militia. The London Gazette, issue 16819, 30 Nov 1813, showed that James was made a Lieutenant in the Worcestershire Militia on 23 Jul 1813. Then I found (on Google Books I think) a book entitled Stowe, which stated that in 1814 a Lieutenant James Atcherley volunteered to be part of the First Provisional Battalion of Militia under the Marquess of Buckingham, which joined the British Army in France under the Marquess (later Duke) of Wellington. This last reference seems to be well supported by the baptism record you have found for me.

I will PM you with my e-mail address, but in the meantime, many thanks again Lesley.

Steve

Punchs mum
05-12-09, 18:27
Steve,

Scan should be on its way now! Hopefully!!

Lesley

raywhit1942
10-12-09, 23:11
Hi Lesley

Back again on the trail of the Whitcomb Family in Alverstoke!
The previous records you managed to find were most useful and I thank you very much for all your help - especially the photos of Clayhall Road etc.

My present interest is in the line of Thomas Edmund Whitcomb born at Alverstoke September 1853 (BMD date). He was a Brother to Walter Whitcomb, my g g Grandfather.

His parents would have been Thomas and Mary Whitcomb. Possibly he was baptised at Alverstoke St. Marys, like his Siblings? I wonder if you could find his Baptism record?

As a matter of interest Thomas Edmund left Gosport about 1872 and went to London where he joined the Metropolitan Police ending up as an Inspector around 1895, when he retired. He died in 1940.

Another Whitcomb I'm researching is Charles Benjamin Whitcomb born Gosport circa 1816. Were his parents possibly George and Mary Whitcomb?

Ray

Punchs mum
11-12-09, 08:55
Hello again Ray,

Will certainly see what I can find for you! Please bear in mind though that it is nearly Christmas and us ladies are Extra Busy!!

Will be in touch as soon as possible, as always, happy to help!

Lesley

erkoje
12-12-09, 22:22
Thank you for the offer to look up Gosport and Alverstoke. iI have family supposedly from there : looking for births, deaths of the followin":
Robert Puflett: May 1809
Sarah Puflett: February 1812
Louisa Puflett :June 1813
Harriet Puflett: May 1815
Thomas Puflett: March 1817
George Puflett:April 1819
All reportedly born at Alverstoke. Were ther eany children who died there or born between 1809 and 1812
Parents Robert Puflett and Sarah he was a baker. Surname variously spelt ; Puflett/ Purfleet/ etc

Thank you

Jennifer
Sydney Australia

Punchs mum
13-12-09, 11:59
Hi Jennifer,

Will see what I can do but it might not be until after Christmas now. Where did you get the information from that you have given me? You seem to know the births already.

Lesley.

Punchs mum
18-12-09, 16:27
Ray, Was unable to find a baptism record for Charles Whitcombe 1816c at all but have got a copy of one for Thomas Edmund s/o Thomas and Mary b.1853. Will e mail a copy to your private e mail address or can post it to you if you wish.

Erkoje

Sorry but not much luck for your Pufletts! Have found and photocopied the Parish Record of the marriage of Robert Puflett and Sarah Stokes at Alverstoke on 8th May 1809. If you want a scan of the record please pm me your private e mail address.

There was a marriage of an Ann Parfett to Richard Florence on 23/4/1809. Don't know if this could be a mistranscription of one of yours???

Lesley

erkoje
19-12-09, 02:03
Hi Lesley

I got the dates from some old notes from family member I am not sure whether they were ever verified.

Thank you

Jennifer

raywhit1942
20-12-09, 16:14
Hi Lesley

Thanks for finding the baptism for Thomas Edmund, an emailed copy is perfectly OK - and better considering the time of year!

The link you told me about Charles Whitcomb gives me food for thought. If he was the son of Charles and Martha, then there are in fact death entries for them in the GRO index. Charles died 1845 in Alverstoke, and Martha died 1851 in Alverstoke. In addition there is an entry for these events in the parish records on the Knightroots site. This gives the age of Charles as 70 years and Martha as 67.

I wonder if the Charles who died in 1845 was closely related to George Whitcombe - born 1774 died 1856. George Whitcombe was the father of Thomas Whitcombe, who in turn was the father of Thomas Edmund Whitcombe, my g g uncle.

Ray

Punchs mum
20-12-09, 17:53
Ray,

Am more confused than ever now. Have just looked at the Family Search site and there is a Charles Whitcomb married to Martha Long in Alverstoke 0n30/8/1797

Children listed to them are
Martha Whitcomb 31/5/1800
George Whitcomb 6/6/ 1806
Henrietta Whitcomb 3/8/1804
Charles Benjamin Whitcomb 7/6/1835!!
Richard Whitcomb 12/9/1802

I just doesn't add up!! Your Whitcombs are everywhere at all times in Alverstoke.

Will scan the baptism image off to you this evening.

Lesley

raywhit1942
21-12-09, 16:22
Lesley

Wow, same here!
Studying my notes, and a bit of calculation, I came up with the this scenario:

Charles Whitcomb born about 1778 according to Alverstoke burial records.(Knightroots)
Martha (Long?) born about 1781 according to Alverstoke burial records. (Knightroots)

Same Charles Whitcomb marries Martha Long about 1797 in Alverstoke. (Family Search)
Charles would have been 19 years and Martha 16 years - possible.

Children follow:
Martha 3/5/1800 - possible
George 6/6/1806 - possible
Henrietta 3/8/1804 - possible
Richard 12/9/1802 - possible

Charles Benjamin 7/6/1835 !!!!!????? not very possible Martha would have been 54!
and Charles Benjamin got married in 1848 (GRO index) - at 13! I think not! (That would have set 'Tongues Wagging in Gosport!!!!!!
According to census returns for Charles Benjamin for 1851 and 1881 he was born about 1816.
So perhaps Charles B was a 'late' addition to the family? I suspect the 1835 is a typo, should be 1815?

I did find a Martha Whitcomb in an Alverstoke 1851 census, she was 46 years/unmarried - born 1805 - so could be Martha 3/5/1800 as above?

I also found in an 1841 census a Martha Whitcomb born 178, this time in Portsea.
This could be Charles's wife? but I couldn't find Charles anywhere. Note he died in 1845. (GRO index)

All this leaves 'my' George Whitcomb, born about 1780, out in the cold? However he is of the same generation as Charles (the elder), born about 1778, so they possibly could be brothers???

All this started up because I wanted to know what became of my Grandfather! Found he died in Canada in 1955, now I'm 'bogged' down in 1800's Alverstoke!!

Looking forward to the latest baptism scan. I can't remember if I ever asked you to look for a baptism record for Walter Whitcomb - my actual great grandfather?
He was born to Thomas and Mary Whitcomb in Alverstoke, March 1860 (GRO index).
It would be nice to add to my family records, no rush though.

Ray

Punchs mum
21-12-09, 19:43
Ray, I have the baptism record of Walter Whitcomb. Are you sure I haven't already scanned it to you? If not, let me know and I will see if I can scan it the right way up this time, not like I scanned the last one to you!! LOL

Lesley

raywhit1942
21-12-09, 20:44
Lesley

I've looked at your emails, and yes you did tell me that you'd got Walter's baptism + his sister Alice's.

You did send me the Marriage of Thomas Whitcomb & Mary Bridget Malone, and also the baptism of Mary Bridget Malone - but I cannot find Walters baptism record (or Alice's).

So, yes, please could you email these.

I have done the Free BMD search for Whitcomb(e) at Alverstoke + a few other places. A lot of them I can trace, but as one gets close to the 1837 lower limit things get a bit difficult - no census etc! Parish records to the rescue!

Ray

DebOz
27-12-09, 10:37
Hi Lesley,

Is it possible to do a lookup of a christening at Saint Marys Portsea for a John Myers Montgomery? Not 100% sure of the date only know the year was 1806.

Thanks in advance...

Deb

Punchs mum
27-12-09, 11:42
Deb. Sorry but I don't do Portsea Look ups, only Gosport/Alverstoke.

I think though, that there is somebody else on the site that does do Portsea. Can't remember who it is though. Maybe someone else can tell you

Lesley

DebOz
30-12-09, 08:26
Okay thanks Lesley.

Deb :)

Ann E
07-01-10, 11:30
Hi Lesley,
I see your kind offer, please when you have time & the weather is good could you look for the Marriage of
George Frederick Holmes & May Adams Hancock at Alverstoke 1911.
Thank you.
Ann

Punchs mum
08-01-10, 08:53
Hello Ann E. Welcome to FTF!!

Obviously at the moment, snow and ice stops play but will certainly have a look for the marriage of George and May when I can get out of the house again!! Been in for the third day now and am climbing the walls!!

Will be in touch again when the weather improves. Keep checking back on the site as I will look for you as soon as I am able.

Keep warm

Lesley

raywhit1942
08-01-10, 20:31
Lesley,

Back again about the Whitcomb families in Alverstoke / Gosport!

When, hopefully, the weather improves and one can venture out safely (been the same here - getting fed up with digging snow and ice!), please could you look into the following Baptisms:

Having traced my line back to George Whitcomb (1774 to 1856), Carpenter of Clayhall married to Mary ??? a Schoolmistress, I wonder if a Baptism is registered for him? This, hopefully, would provide his Parents names. Also who was Mary? She was from Portsea according to the census, but they married in Gosport.

The other Whitcomb line , that with Charles B Whitcomb in it, may have little or no connection with my Family? However as a final look could you see if there is a Baptism for Charles Benjamin's Father, Charles Whitcomb (1795 ??? to 1845), married to Martha ???. As above his Parents names may provide a further clue?

I suspect going back further than this (1770's) may be very problematic as many records seem to have degraded to the point of illegibility? So I think this would provide a 'suitable' cut off point?

Ray

Ann E
08-01-10, 23:28
Hi Lesley,
Thank you for your reply, take care.
I am also Imprisoned by the snow, it sounds like we might get some more!

Ann E

Punchs mum
09-01-10, 15:54
Hello again Ray, Have only just seen your thread from yesterday!! Sorry!

Have made a note of your requirements and as soon as I am 'set free' from this atrocious weather, I will certainly take a look for you and let you know what or if I find anything for you. Will be in touch as soon as I can get to town again.

Lesley

Punchs mum
09-01-10, 16:02
me again Ray. Just had a quick look through my notes (scraps of paper) and I don't know if I have told you of a death of a Martha Whitcom, Spinster age 68 of Church Parth Gosport. Buried 28/12/1868. Plot 57 consencrated. Anns Hill Cemetery.

This is obviously the Martha that was born in 1800.

Punchs mum
18-01-10, 19:38
Hi Ann, At last I have managed to get to the Study Centre and have found the marriage you were asking about. I have photo copied it for you and if you want me to scan it to you, will need your private e mail address. This is what I found

Marriage at St.Thomas' Church Elson (Gosport) on 27th July, 1911

George Frederick Holmes Age27 Bachelor A B Royal HMS Revenge(??) Father John Henry Holmes Engine Driver

May Adams Hancock Age 23 Spinster of 6 Bucklers Road Father Charles Johida(?) Hancock Army Pensioner

Witness Frank Henry Lacey, Charles Joh(?) Hancock and Dorothy Blanche Hancock.

Maybe you can fill in the (?)! Difficult to read.

If I can help any more, just ask. I am here to help wherever I can.

Lesley

Punchs mum
18-01-10, 20:04
Ray, Alverstoke was running alive with Whitcombs in the late 1700's!! However, the only George Whitcomb I could find was baptised in Holy Trinity, Gosport on 19/5/1795. Son of George and Mary!

At the same church was a Charles Whitcomb son of Thomas and Sarah baptised 7/3/1793. Don't know if this is of any help to you or just confusing things even more.

I have made a note of the other Whitcombs I came across whilst searching the fiche and have another eleven baptisms between 1793 and 1799 all at Holy Trinity. If you want the names and dates let me know. I know you like a challenge!!

Had no luck with the baptism of Charles Benjamin Whicomb around 1816. Checked out Holy Trinity baptisms till 1820 and then gave up as I was going crossed eyed!!

Hope this is of some help to you

Lesley

raywhit1942
18-01-10, 22:58
Lesley

Yes please give the list of the names you have found, it will be a challenge!!!

The George you found could be the George who married Mary (yes another Mary!) the schoolmistress, and thus in my line?

I notice that the baptisms were at Holy Trinity, I wonder if more could be found at St Marys? (But please don't go too 'Cross Eyed!)

Ray

Ann E
18-01-10, 23:05
Hi Lesley,
Thank you so much that is wonderful I would love a scan of the marriage, it would lovely to see the signatures.
My e mail is < delann[at]southbourneway.freeserve.co.uk>, please replace at for @

Dorothy Blanche Hancock was her sister & her brother Charles Henry Hancock, [I don’t know of a Jon?] her father Charles Jehoiada Hancock, the HMS Revenge Was a battleship.
Thank you again, please let me know I can pay you for the photo copy.
Ann E

Punchs mum
19-01-10, 09:31
Ann.. Scan of cert. should be on its way to you now.

Lesley.

Punchs mum
19-01-10, 09:34
Ray, Will send the names to your private e mail address as the list is quiete long. Will try and do it some time today......if I'm not too cross-eyed!! Have also been in touch with someone on Ancestry re the baptism of Charles in 1815. Hopefully, she will send me a copy of the Baptism Record sometime shortly. Will let you know if she does.

Regards Lesley

Punchs mum
19-01-10, 16:39
Ray,

Have just heard back from the contact I had on Ancestry and she has scanned me the baptism record of Charles Benjamin Whitcomb
s/o Charles and Martha. baptised 7/6/1835 but born 28/6/1815!!!! Definately says 1815 which makes him 20 years old when he was baptised. Father was a Customs House Officer. Baptism Alverstoke. No wonder I couldn't find him.

More food now for thought. Lesley.

raywhit1942
19-01-10, 22:55
Lesley

Um? Very interesting! All those Whitcomb Baptisms at Holy Trinity Gosport. I have absolutely no idea who these people were. I've concentrated on the Free BMD index, and got a very good picture of post 1837 Whitcomb families in the Alverstoke area. Most of this data I've managed to 'tie up' using the census returns from 1841 onwards. From this data I can only assume these 'Holy Trinity' families moved on - (could some have been military?) - and left no descendants in Alverstoke??? So confusing, the similar names and the narrow time scale from 1793 to 1799.

The only possibility is that Charles son of Thomas and Sarah was Charles Benjamin's Father?

I think we have established that Charles Benjamin's parents were Charles and Martha and that he was born in 1815. (Bapt 1835!!!)

You also found a George son of George and Mary baptised 1795, this ties in with some of my dates.

I suppose a Marriage of George (Son of) and Mary ?(School Mistress) would 'clinch' it. I would expect the marriage to be between 1814 and 1819.

I have a burial record of a Mary Ann Whitcomb Daughter of George dated 1825 - Mary Ann was 2 Years old.
Also a burial record of George Son of George dated 1822 - George was 3 Years old.
These were at St Marys Alverstoke (from Knightroots).

They had at least 2 other children, Thomas and Selina, who survived. I'm here to prove it!!!

Ray

Punchs mum
20-01-10, 09:44
Sorry Ray!!

Looks like I am making your research more difficult by bombarding you with all the Whitcombs I find!! Maybe I should bow out gracefully now! LOL

Lesley

PS Only joking!

raywhit1942
21-01-10, 11:28
Lesley

You have done a really great job of tracing possible leads for me, however I must agree that searching for 'Feral' Whitcombs in Gosport is a 'no brainer'!

I think we have established that Charles Benjamin's family is remote from 'my' tree branch, so I do not think you should search any further. Unlike some of our 'Colonial' friends I do not wish to trace back to William the Conqueror or a wattle hut SW of Stonehenge!!!!! err and a family Crest!!!

The 'branch' that I'm currently researching is that of George and Mary Whitcomb. George was my 3g Grandfather and I'd be interested to find his Baptism around 1895 and a marriage for him and Mary somewhere around 1818. It is possible that these events would have been at St Marys Alverstoke, but note that Mary was born in Portsea so is out of your area. George however was Gosport born.

Also, at a bit of a 'tangent', Mary was a School Mistress all her life. I wonder if there are any school records / histories for the Alverstoke area that would mention her?
Her Daughter Selina and Grandson Henry David Goldie also were teachers at some time, so I should think Mary was fairly 'committed'?

Ray

Christine in Herts
22-01-10, 12:58
Lesley

< ... snip ... >

The 'branch' that I'm currently researching is that of George and Mary Whitcomb. George was my 3g Grandfather and I'd be interested to find his Baptism around 1895 and a marriage for him and Mary somewhere around 1818. It is possible that these events would have been at St Marys Alverstoke, but note that Mary was born in Portsea so is out of your area. George however was Gosport born.

Also, at a bit of a 'tangent', Mary was a School Mistress all her life. I wonder if there are any school records / histories for the Alverstoke area that would mention her?
Her Daughter Selina and Grandson Henry David Goldie also were teachers at some time, so I should think Mary was fairly 'committed'?

Ray

The IGI has a marriage for:
GEORGE WHITCOMB
to
MARY PAGE COTTEN
24 OCT 1819 Saint Marys, Portsea
Batch - M062613

Christine

Christine in Herts
22-01-10, 13:01
The IGI has quite a bit of Hampshire material - these batches are likely to be useful to you! C063151 & C073562

You may also find this site useful: http://www.knightroots.co.uk/
though I couldn't spot any likely hits for you there, today... Oh. Just re-read your earlier post. You do already have that link.

Christine

raywhit1942
23-01-10, 09:11
Hi Christine & Lesley

That's it!

GEORGE WHITCOMB
to
MARY PAGE COTTEN
24 OCT 1819 Saint Marys, Portsea

I've settled that a Mary Page Whitcomb died in Alverstoke in March 1875, and that she was Georges's wife (Widow).

Given the unusual second name, Page, I think the Portsea marriage is pretty solid.
Unusual names are a god send to genealogy!!! I'v come across a few in my own researches.

Got Family round today, must rush!!!

So many thanks

Ray

Punchs mum
23-01-10, 09:16
Ray. Re your last post about your 3x Gr. Grandfathers baptism. I assume that was a typing error and you meant his baptism around 1795 not 1895!! That baptism was 19/5/1795 at Holy Trinity.

Lesley.

Just seen your recent post today, so I am now refering to your second to last post!!!! Glad to see you have got the marriage of Mary and George sorted now. Well done. Christine!

Christine in Herts
24-01-10, 08:20
I was quite pleased when I found the IGI records. I knew there was a good chance because a chunk of my mother's family was there.

Do, please, have a look at the two batches I mentioned. They'll give you the baptisms for George and Mary - which gives you parents's names plus the chance to look for siblings.

Christine

Punchs mum
24-01-10, 08:56
Christine. Well, I have learnt something new with regard to the IGI batch no. Records! Saves a lot of trawling through the microfiches!

Thank you for that. 'Never too old to learn' like they say.

Lesley

raywhit1942
24-01-10, 12:40
Lesley

Been looking at the IGI index, and although I've been there before now realise that there is a lot of very useful data on it. The problem with the IGI is that searching is very 'long winded', and has put me off.

Some time ago I found this web link which tries to 'unravel' some of the navigation issues:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers.htm

Found that Charles and Martha also had a George!!! But considering family name conventions think its more likely that 'my' George is from George + Mary. Their first two children were baptised George and Mary respectively.

Ray

Punchs mum
24-01-10, 13:12
Ray, That is where I have been looking, thanks to Christine! Couldn't belive there were 37 Whitcombs baptised in Holy Trinity in a reasonably short space of time!!

Yes, I agree with you regard your George being from George and Mary. It seemed usual to pass on parents names hence the complications it now causes those of us trying to sort out who is who.

Lesley

raywhit1942
27-01-10, 16:13
Lesley

Whitcomb(e)s Galore!!!!

Having done a 'trawl' through the IGI data on Whitcomb in Gosport & Portsea I'm a little clearer as to the problems that arise when trying to make 'early' family trees.

The IGI has many entries relevant to my search, but is somewhat lacking in detail and possibly has some transcription errors?

One 'anomaly' is the entry about George Whitcomb son of George Whitcomb & Mary - 19 MAY 1795 Holy Trinity, Gosport, Hampshire, England .
I could find no other entries that could be tied to this event anywhere for that 'time frame', No marriage between a George and Mary, and no other births to that couple. However there is a George Whitcomb and Sarah that were having children around that time.

There is a Whitcomb 'Dynasty' that has interested me greatly, as it contains many 'familiar' first names. The family started with the marriage of Thomas Whitcomb to Honor Calls at Holy Trinity Portsea in 1762. They had a least 6 children (Baptised at Holy Trinity Gosport - must have moved across the river?), amongst them a son George Whitcomb christened in 1773.

A George Whitcomb married Sarah Snell in 1792 at Saint Marys, Portsea, but must have moved to Alverstoke where most of their children were born. After 1806 there are no more children for this marriage shown on the IGI, however - as we have already found - there is a marriage in 1819 Between a George Whitcomb and Mary Page Cotten. If the George in question is the one born 1773 to Thomas & Honor then Mart Page could be his second Wife?

What springs to mind is that the 1841 Census gives George Whitcomb's (the one married to Mary Page) birth year as 1786, and the 1851 Census gives his birth year as 1773!!!!! I always took this with a 'pinch of salt' as this puts him 21 years older than his Wife - and people do tell 'porkies' on Census forms, especially about age!! However taking into the above IGI data I'm now thinking that my George may be the son of Thomas & Honor born in 1773?

Mary Page Whitcomb died in Alverstoke aged 85 (Free BMD March 1875), and George Whitcomb died in Alverstoke in September 1856 (Free BMD).

If we could establish the age of George when he died from Parish records(Alverstoke circa Sept 1856), this may help to resolve some of my remaining questions.
Also, who was that George son of George & Mary - 19 MAY 1795 Holy Trinity, Gosport, Hampshire, England - I've heard of folks being Baptised on their death bed, but never before they're born !!! Perhaps my next email should be to the Vatican!

Ray

Punchs mum
28-01-10, 19:21
Ray
I thought I had replied to you this morning but I can't find the posting so must have goofed somehow!!

I will check the burial record of George Whitcomb who died 1856 and check what age is given. Hopefully there should be an age!! He was probably buried in our local cemetery which is Anns Hill and burials started in 1855 so George should be there.

Also will check again that baptism of George s/o George and Mary at Holy Trinity 1795 to see if there are any more clues!

If you have no replies from the Vatican maybe someone on this Forum will offer some suggestions for you!! I am totally confused with all these Whitcombs.

Will be in touch when I have something for you.

Lesley

Punchs mum
30-01-10, 17:04
Ray,

This what I found this afternoon at the Study Centre. Buried at Anns Hill Cemetery Gosport was

George Whitcomb Age 25 Carpenter of Clayhall, Alverstoke. Buried 21/7/1856 Plot 58 Concencrated ground.

Checked that baptism of George s/o George and Mary Whitcomb 1795 at Holy Trinity but nothing else is recorded. Sorry I can't help with that one.

Something else to tax you brain again now!!

Lesley

Punchs mum
30-01-10, 17:17
Ann E, Have e mailed the scan of the Baptism Record you were after. Should be with you now.

Lesley

Elizabeth Herts
30-01-10, 20:10
Lesley, I wonder if you would mind returning to my Smiths (groan) again?

I now have the Will of my 4xgreat grandfather William Smith dated 22nd May 1844 but I'm struggling to find the correct death certificate for him. He was Officer of Shipwrights at the Naval Dockyard and he was christened in 1768 at St Mary's Portsea but moved to Gosport as his wife Jane's family (nee Catto) lived there.

On the 1841 Census he was living in Gosport with 3 of his children:
1841 Census
HO107; 388; 9 Alverstoke Folio 6; page 6; line 14
North Street Alverstoke
Elizabeth Smith 40 Publican Y
William 70 Ind Y
Charlotte 40 Ind Y
George 30 Ind Y

I think this was the Sun Tavern.

Would you mind seeing if you could find a burial record for him - probably Holy Trinity?

Punchs mum
31-01-10, 09:44
Elizabeth Herts

Will certainly see if I can find anything for you. Hopefully, sometime next week.

Lesley

raywhit1942
31-01-10, 17:01
Lesley

Thanks for the info

This what I found this afternoon at the Study Centre. Buried at Anns Hill Cemetery Gosport was

George Whitcomb Age 25 Carpenter of Clayhall, Alverstoke. Buried 21/7/1856 Plot 58 Concencrated ground.

However I cannot get it to fit, so please could you sometime send me a scan of the entry.

I've checked the census results for 1841 and 1851 and definitely George Whitcombe, carpenter, married to Mary appears to have been born around 1774. I even rechecked the 1841 census by closely inspecting the original scan and found a transcription error! The 'Fimdmypast' transcription gives George's age as 55, but the scan clearly shows 65! The 1851 census gives his age as 77, this corresponds with the scan.

The census results also show that Mary was a Widow by 1861, thus George must have died sometime between 1851 and 1861. I've scanned the BMD register from 1850 to 1862 for George Whitcomb(e) deaths 'anywhere', and the only one that appears to fit the bill is the Alverstoke one. Is it at all possible that the age you read as 25 Years is in fact 85 Years??? Otherwise there was a George Whitcomb born circa 1824 (IGI data!?) who could possibly be the one in Anns Hill - although would be 32 Years old???

Checked that baptism of George s/o George and Mary Whitcomb 1795 at Holy Trinity but nothing else is recorded. Sorry I can't help with that one.

As I suspected. I reckon this is a mis-transcription. There were several George Whitcomb's born 1795 - 1806. I think its possible, considering marriage dates, that the George born 1795 could have belonged to George and Sarah Whitcomb?? But as you could find no reference in the Holy Trinity, Gosport records it may be an IGI 'glitch'?
As an aside I've found several double entries (with slightely differing dates .etc) in the IGI index whilst just trawling for Whitcombs in a narrow time frame. I suppose when just 'recruiting Souls', accuracy is of secondary importance? A useful tool nevertheless, but not a substitute for real research.

So ooooo in conclusion if you could recheck / send me the scan of the 1856 Burial to see if George Whitcombe, Carpenter, age 25? is correct, then I can proceed and order some GRO certificated to put the lid on it all!!!!! Hopefully.

Ray

Elizabeth Herts
31-01-10, 22:10
Elizabeth Herts

Will certainly see if I can find anything for you. Hopefully, sometime next week.

Lesley

Thanks Lesley. I have looked at the Knightroots burials for Holy Trinity and he isn't there but I don't know if their list is complete as it looks rather short! I suppose it could have been the church in Alverstoke.

Thanks so much.

Punchs mum
02-02-10, 08:58
Elizabeth Herts.

Checked the burial records yesterday for William Smith at Holy Trinity and Alverstoke 1841-1852 with no luck. There were a few William Smiths but none around the age bracket of your William. Also had a quick look at a couple of smaller churches which had burial grounds and again...nothing. Sorry to disappoint you. If I can help any more, please just ask.

Lesley.

Punchs mum
02-02-10, 09:02
Ray, Well, I checked the burial record of George Whitcomb in 1856 and looking at the fiche reader screen would say it still looks like Age 25 to me!! However, having printed off the record it has now posed more questions than answers. The print out looks like Age 35!!! It could, in my opion, also look like Age 85!! So it is now over to you make your decision on what age you see! Will scan the image to your private e mail address.

Lesley

If you want me to post you the actual copy of record, I will need your private Address.

Elizabeth Herts
02-02-10, 09:31
Elizabeth Herts.

Checked the burial records yesterday for William Smith at Holy Trinity and Alverstoke 1841-1852 with no luck. There were a few William Smiths but none around the age bracket of your William. Also had a quick look at a couple of smaller churches which had burial grounds and again...nothing. Sorry to disappoint you. If I can help any more, please just ask.

Lesley.

Lesley, thanks so much for looking, it's appreciated. These are my only Smiths, and under the circumstances they haven't been too troublesome so I can't complain! I think I shall try ordering a death cert. by specifying his age etc.

raywhit1942
02-02-10, 11:46
Lesley

Thanks so much for rechecking the fiche. Yes I agree it could be 25, 35, or 85! This is a case that does warrant further data to confirm who this 'George' was.

Going by the census for 1841 and 1851 it is now certain to me that a George Whitcomb, Carpenter born circa 1773 was living in Alverstoke at the time of this burial, also it is clear that he died between the 1851 and 1861 census. I can find no other George Whitcomb(e)s in the Gosport area at this time, according to the relevant census returns. Another bit of data, IGI, is that a George Whitcomb was in fact Baptised (19 SEP 1773 Holy Trinity, Gosport, Hampshire, England) son of Thomas and Honor Whitcomb, it is very possible that this is the same 'George' that died in 1856.

Looking very carefully, and critically, at the scan with image software I can just about see that the 'top curl' of the apparent 2 is continued round as in the top of an 8. There appear to be various ink spots or other blemishes on the fiche that make an definite conclusion very difficult. But for now I will accept that the age is 85. I feel confident enough, now, to order a GRO death cert' and settle the matter.

I will tell you of any further 'developments', and finally thanks so so much for all the help you have given in my Whitcomb quest.

Ray

Punchs mum
02-02-10, 13:14
Ray, I think, like you, curiousity would get the better of me and I would have to order the death certificate. There is sometimes a clue given by the informants name. Also, though, the details are only as accurate as the informant has given. I have a death cert. of a relative that states she was 94 at the time of her death but she was in fact, 97 and I have her birth certificate to prove it. Sad thing was, she died in a Mental Home with no known relatives and her death age and birthdate were guess work I think!!

Look forward to any further updates on these Whitcombs!

Lesley

Chris in Sussex
05-02-10, 15:09
Lesley, can I please take you up on your very kind offer?

I am looking for the baptism of James RUSSELL 1793 in Gosport. The birth year is consistant in the censuses.

At his second marriage, in 1844, he gives his father as Edward Russell, Mariner.

There is a baptism on the IGI, extracted, for a James Russell 17 March 1793 Alverstoke, Hampshire.
Father Edward Russell, mother Mary and I wonder if the register has any additional information.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Chris

Punchs mum
05-02-10, 21:29
Chris. ( in Sussex)

Will have a look for you when I am in town next. Will let you know one way or the other whether I find anything!

Lesley

Chris in Sussex
05-02-10, 22:29
Thank you Lesley

Chris

Joy Dean
06-02-10, 10:06
I have just one request, if possible, please, for a baptism for a great-uncle; but he was born in Fareham, and I think that someone said parish registers for that area were away? Shall I give you the details, just in case?

Punchs mum
06-02-10, 18:54
Joy, Was your G. Uncle baptised in Alverstoke/Gosport then, even though he was born in Fareham? I can check Gosport parish records if you want but don't do Fareham. I have checked Fareham Library site and they do keep microfiches records there apparently but not all dates and events are included. I don't go to Fareham much at all and have never used their Library but there maybe someone on the site that does. However, if you think there is a chance of him being baptised in Gosport/Alverstoke by all means give me his name and I will take a look for you. Nothing ventured, nothing gained......as they say!!

Lesley

Joy Dean
06-02-10, 19:24
Not to worry then.

However, just in case his name crops up :-) -
John Harrison was born in School Road, Fareham 18 August 1879.

Thank you.

Punchs mum
13-02-10, 16:47
Chris,

Have found the baptism record for your James Russel at St. Marys Church Alverstoke 17/3/1793 like you said but unfortunately there is no extra information other than what you already know about. That is that his parents were Edward and Mary.

Have a scan of the entry if you would like it. I will need your private e mail address though. The Russell surname is spelt Rufsel, which I think was the way of writing back then.

Lesley.

Christine in Herts
14-02-10, 09:06
The Russell surname is spelt Rufsel, which I think was the way of writing back then.

Do you mean it looks like "Ru∫sell"?
Older English script, particularly in double-s, used to make the first one long (sometimes both) - and that's the same thing as a German double-s (ß), where the two letters got joined together. Sometimes all the interior letter-s examples would be written with the long-s. You can see this on the older census images, too, with the occupation "dre∫∫maker", for example! It ends up looking like a modern ƒ - but, critically, it doesn't have the cross-stroke.

There are a quite a lot of transcriptions on Knightroots where the name RUSSELL has been rendered as RUFSEL, or RUFFELL. The problem is that there is a rarer name which really is RUFFELL, so you can't be sure whether every example like that really should be RUSSELL or not, without looking at the record for yourself. (That's good practice, anyway, of course, but an added incentive.)

Christine

Punchs mum
14-02-10, 11:49
Thanks for that explaination Christine (in Herts!). I knew that sometimes the 's' could look like and 'f'. This parish record just shows the first 's' differently. Where did you get that letter from on your keyboard as I can't see it on mine!!!

Lesley

Chris in Sussex
14-02-10, 12:41
Hi Lesley
Thank you so much for taking the time to look for my Russell....I had a feeling there wouldn't be any more info. Oh well this game wouldn't be so much fun if it was easy :)

I will pm you my e.mail addy as I would love the scan thankyou....I hope it didn't cost you anything, if so I will either reimburse you or put the money in your favourite charilty box.

And yes the Russell surname can be a pain where transcribed, I always have to remember to search for Rufsell too (I can't find that symbol thing either!)

Thank you again

Chris

Christine in Herts
15-02-10, 22:54
Thanks for that explaination Christine (in Herts!). I knew that sometimes the 's' could look like and 'f'. This parish record just shows the first 's' differently. Where did you get that letter from on your keyboard as I can't see it on mine!!!

Lesley

I use an Apple Mac. There are all sorts of interesting symbols I can get by using the Alt key:
¡ € # ¢ ∞ § ¶ • ª º – ≠
œ ∑ ´ ® † ¥ ¨ ^ ø π “ ‘
å ß ∂ ƒ © ˙ ∆ ˚ ¬ … æ «
` Ω ≈ ç √ ∫ ~ µ ≤ ≥ ÷

That lot is what I get if I hold down the Alt key and depress the keys starting with the row with the digits.

In some cases it isn't quite obvious what those mean... If I hold the Alt key with e/u/i, and then type another vowel, I get: é ü î, and I can get the grave accent using the same technique, by using the Alt key with `... à, and Alt-n, ... ñ.

I thought you might well know about the ∫/s thing, but thought it might be worth alerting you (and other readers) to that particular hazard with the Knightroots transcriptions.

Christine

Punchs mum
16-02-10, 19:07
No wonder I couldn't find it then Christine! Even if I did have it on the key board I don't think I would be able to utilise it with all the holding down of various keys!!

Anyway, thanks for putting me right. At least I know it is not me not being able to see it on my keyboard.

Lesley

Christine in Herts
17-02-10, 10:49
I think that you can find quite a lot of those if you use one of the menus (e.g. Insert/Symbols). And they're also available if you happen to know the key+number combinations.

I just did a bit of googling, and there is some useul-looking stuff on the M/soft support pages, e.g.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Type-and-display-accents-and-diacritical-marks
Looking at that page, I reckon that this is what I had in mind with the second of the sentences with which I opened this post:

Use Alt+the numeric keypad to input a code page value of a character.

And this looks useful, too:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Using-special-characters-Character-Map-frequently-asked-questions

Christine

raywhit1942
18-02-10, 17:45
Lesley

Back to Whitcombs! There are two loose ends / brick walls in tracing the children of Thomas & Mary Whitcomb, as they had a least twelve I reckon we've done pretty well so far!

The two 'disappeared' are Alice Whitcomb born 1858, and Mary Whitcomb born 1873.

Both girls survived into childhood, but there is no BMD record of death or marriage after this.

Alice was with her parents in 1871 census, age 11. But no trace anywhere after this date.

Mary was with parents in 1881 census, age 8. Both parents had died by 1885, so she would have been orphaned.

There is some possible BMD data on Mary.

A Mary Ann Whitcombe was married to James Henry Wright in Alverstoke, Sep 1898. They appear on the 1901 Census in Weymouth, James was in the Army. This Mary was born in Portsmouth circa 1872, according to the census. Next time you are at the research center please could you look up this marriage, it may have parents names etc? Sorry, don't have the church. Also it may be useful to check the birth / baptism of Mary Whitcomb in Jun 1873 Alverstoke.

Just for your info' I have a further 'conundrum' regarding a Mary Ellen Whitcombe who appears to have died at the same address of Thomas Edmund Whitcomb in Kings Langley (Herts) the 18 Nov 1898, age 25. (thus also born 1873). I have no idea who this could be. Not Thomas's wife at the time. (Alice Mary Whitcomb, nee Beasley, died Dec 1902).

Searching FreeBMD- all for any Mary Whitcomb + All variants of the name between 1869 and 1885 only comes up with Mary born Alverstoke 1873, so where do all the Mary Whitcombs come from???⽆⽗

Ray

PS: Christine

As you use an Apple Mac try the Character Palette in the International Prefs'.Ӂ

Punchs mum
18-02-10, 18:34
Hello again. Ray!

Will be off on the trail again for you hopefully sometime next week.....weather permitting that is!

Lesley

Punchs mum
27-02-10, 20:18
Ray,

Found the marriage of James Henry Wright and Mary Ann Whitcomb at Alverstoke Church on 29/9/1898.

James Henry Wright age 29 Batch. Serg. Major R.E. at Fort Monckton. Father William a Carpenter.

Mary Ann Whitcomb age 27 Spinster of 70 Queens Road. Father Charles Whitcomb a Bricklayer.

Had no luck with baptism records. Checked out the four main churches. In fact, for once found no Whitcombs at all!! They must have stopped breeding ....at last!

Forgot to say I couldn't read the witnesses on the Marriage Cert, It was very feint. All I could make out was George ? and Kate Ann ?

Sorry about that.

Lesley

raywhit1942
28-02-10, 11:30
Lesley

Thanks for looking up Mary Ann Whitcomb. However I cannot fit her, or Charles her Father, into my 'web of Whitcombs'. In fact I cannot find them in any other sources - the nearest is a family named Witcombe in Portsea, so far! The address of 70 Queens Road may provide a clue? Also, as this was an Army type marriage, the couple could have ended up anywhere! (we still had an Empire!)

Fear not though, at least eliminating a possible lead opens up others.

Also may I thank you for introducing me to the British Library Newspapers site. I purchased a Weeks subscription and 'spent many Hours? reading. Got my £s worth! To you, and any other readers, I recommend this site as an indispensable resource for Family research - that is if, as in the Portsmouth case, a publication covers the area of interest.

I made a few useful discoveries, not least the opening up of various family connections and lines of research. For instance from the 'Fatal Accident to a Child' case a certain Kate Martin Snelling and family was introduced to me - although this has risen many 'wild geese'! Why did Kate refer to Thomas Whitcomb as 'my Uncle'??? I can find no family connection although they must have been very close ties. Kate got married the following month, and I assume that the 'trip' with her aunt Mrs Jerrard and the Whitcombs was somehow connected? It all gets so o o o complicated! Of interest is that at that time Thomas appears to have been Landlord of the Anglesea Hotel pub (tap) - rather 'up market'?

Another article put a Mary Ann Whitcomb in rather a bad light (she got six months for robbery!) Not the above Mary I should add!!! but nevertheless the Wife of George Thomas Whitcomb (and daughter of a RN Master), shame! I always wondered why this line never developed - now I know! I'd love to have been a fly on the wall and seen the Whitcomb family's reaction, especially as the younger Thomas was about to enroll in the Police!!

Also it appears that certain Whitcomb(e)s were fairly visible in the Portsmouth, Gosport and IOW areas, and I can see some strong links between them. Example Joseph George Whitcombe was Mayor of Portsmouth in the 1880's, and Charles Benjamin Whitcomb was on the Alverstoke local authority. If I can verify the parentage of George Whitcomb, then he may indeed have been a Cousin to these 'famous' Whitcombs? The answer lies in Portsea though? or lost in time??

I will be back with more questions, don't fear.

Ray

Christine in Herts
01-03-10, 13:08
Also may I thank you for introducing me to the British Library Newspapers site. I purchased a Weeks subscription and 'spent many Hours? reading. Got my £s worth! To you, and any other readers, I recommend this site as an indispensable resource for Family research - that is if, as in the Portsmouth case, a publication covers the area of interest.
Your info doesn't give any indication of where you live? My membership of Herts Library gives me online access to both the Times Digital Archive and the BL C19th Newspapers, using my membership number as password. I agree that both sites are really useful. Definitely worth checking what your local library service offers in this respect.
Christine

raywhit1942
02-03-10, 00:33
I live in North West London, under Brent. The library service is not that great even though they are part of a (inner) London library consortium. I found that I could sign up to Westminster libraries, and they are much better for this type of research. Via Westminster I have the Times and Mirror archives available, but not BL 19th Century.

London is a bit disappointing in this regard, so it is very refreshing to come across web sites like that of the "Parish of Hurst"
( http://www.hvs.org.uk/cdrom.html )
which seem to have done so much to preserve their Heritage.

Ray

raywhit1942
07-03-10, 13:06
Lesley

Hi, when next you visit the research center could you please look up the following marriage. I have an IGI reference, and a FreeBMD/GRO index entry, which appears to have an error in it - I will inform them depending on the results of the Parish register.

Entry, from IGI:-

LOUISA ELLEN WHITCOMB

Marriages:
Spouse: HENRY BROWNE
Marriage: 04 JUL 1839 Holy Trinity, Gosport, Hampshire, England

Even if the fiche is poor and only partially readable the information may be of use. Even a name with blank or guessed characters 'may' give just enough extra evidence when compared to other known names to 'forge' a link.

Good luck

Ray

Punchs mum
07-03-10, 22:05
Hi Ray! Thought I had been made redundant for a while!! LOL. Will have a look for you when I am town next.
Happy to try and help as always.
Lesley.

Punchs mum
11-03-10, 17:12
Hi again Ray,

Found the marriage you asked about and this is what I have found

Henry Browne of full age Bachelor Clerk Public Office Residence Gosport Father Isaac? Browne. Clerk in Public Office.

Louisa Ellen Whitcomb OFA Spinster Residence Gosport Father George Whitcomb Labourer

Married Holy Trinity Church 4/7/1839 (both signed!)

Witnesses John Batchelor
Annie (or Amie?) Meu? Sorry can't read it but have photocopied if you want me to send it to you.

As a matter of interest John Batchelor was also witness to the other marriage on the same page!! I think maybe there were professional witnesses back then as I have seen this before!!

Hope this will help you resolve your problem.

Lesley

raywhit1942
11-03-10, 17:55
Hi Lesley

Thanks for the look up. Interresting, but may not be the one I was thinking of????? The Louisa , daughter of George was baptised in 1821, so this one may be too old - depends on any baptism delay. I cannot find any ref to Henry Browne after this marriage, I wonder what 'type' of public clerk he was?

Please send me the copy you made, do you mean post? My address is on all of my emails.

Ray

Christine in Herts
12-03-10, 15:48
Hi Lesley

If you have in mind to visit anywhere that has relevant fiches for St Thomas's, Portsea, I'd be grateful if you could do a checking-look-up for me. Full details are on the Requests board, because I know that Portsmouth isn't really your thing.

Thanks
Christine

Punchs mum
12-03-10, 18:11
Christine. I have no immediate plans to visit the Portsmouth Records Office but really I should as I need some lookups for my self!! I have only been once before and didn't find the staff very helpful! Also, the photocopies from the fiche reader are nearly 3 times what I pay in our local Study Centre!! Still I suppose even 3 times to cost is better than the new GRO prices. I will make a note though of what you are looking for and if I do go over to Pompey in the not too distant future, will look for you. It won't be until the weather gets warmer though!!!LOL

Lesley

Christine in Herts
12-03-10, 22:31
Thank you, Lesley.

Christine

raywhit1942
13-03-10, 09:47
Lesley

Another 'Twitter' from me!

When next in town could you look up the following (from IGI):-

SARAH ANN WHITCOMB
Marriages:
Spouse: WILLIAM LOCK Family
Marriage: 25 NOV 1822 Alverstoke, Hampshire, England

I don't think she is a 'main branch', but there are several possibilities, so dad's name would be helpful.
They did tend to recycle names a lot then, and Sarah Ann seemed to be a very popular combination!!!

Ray

raywhit1942
15-03-10, 23:16
Sorry a PS

Could you add this one to my Alverstoke requests, IGI stuff as well

MARIA ANN SOPHIA WHITCOMB

Christening: 01 OCT 1826 Alverstoke, Hampshire, England

Parents:
Father: GEORGE WHITCOMB
Mother: MARY

I think she is the sister of 'my' Thomas Whitcomb. Sometimes the Father's profession is stated, this may be useful, thats if it can be read!

Ray

Punchs mum
16-03-10, 12:50
OK Ray.

Off to have a look this afternoon if the Microfiche is available!! Fingers crossed

Lesley

Punchs mum
16-03-10, 17:11
Well, Ray, Not sure if what I found will give you more questions than answers!!!

Re.The marriage of Sarah Ann Whitcomb and William Lock. Marriages 1822 do not give the name of the father. I should have known that! BUT one of the witnesses was a Geo.Whitcomb! The other witness was Jane Parsons. Over to you!!!

Re Maria Ann Sophia Whitcomb. Parents, as you know were George and Mary father was a
Carpenter!

Hope this information helps

Lesley

raywhit1942
17-03-10, 00:14
Lesley

Not a bad, or unexpected, result. Sarah Whitcomb could have been one of several possibles. If a George Whitcomb was a witness then I suppose he wasn't Dad? But he could be a 'close' relation which is interesting. There were a lot of Sarah Whitcombs around in the 19th Cent, My youngest Son is 'reviving' the habit by marring his partner Sarah next month!!!

Maria Ann Sophia was more likely to be 'my' George's, and the fact that he was a Carpenter more or less confirms it. Because of her complicated first names I've managed to trace her Marriage to a certain William Miller, plus on to her Grand Children! Sometimes Parents help us researchers by giving an unusual name.

Ray

raywhit1942
18-03-10, 10:21
Lesley

Sorry I stand to be corrected on Geo Whitcomb as witness for Sarah Whitcomb? It seems that sometines a Parent could be a witness, so perhaps Geo' was her dad? According to dates on the only census (1851) I have on her family, and the IGI index, she would have been about 17 at the time, so required parental consent.

Ray

Punchs mum
18-03-10, 11:48
We are never too old to learn something new Ray! I didn't know that.

Lesley

raywhit1942
22-03-10, 21:51
lesley

In my delving into the IGI I have come across several contradictions. One that concerns me now is who married Sarah Flowers??? According to one record :-

JOHN WITCOMB OR WHITCOMBE

Spouse: SARAH FLOWERS

04 NOV 1804 Alverstoke, Hampshire, England

Another batch number gives James instead of John, the date and Church being the same! So James & John married the same girl!

When next at the research center could you look this up and see if its James or John? Record is possible a 'difficult' one! sorry!

Also is there any info' on Brewers in Gosport circa 1800? Several Whitcombs were in the trade, and unfortunately went bankrupt. I believe the Brewery was in the Middle Street area & connected to the 'Old Northumberland' pub?

Ray

Punchs mum
23-03-10, 16:14
Ray, Have just had a look at the IGI records. although there are three entries for Sarah Flowers marriage in 1804, the first two are only submitted entries. The last one being an extracted entry I would be more inclined to think was the accurate one. The one where she married James Whitcombe!!

However, I will check it out for you when I am in town next.

Also, will look into the Brewers c.1800 of Gosport. Have a book somewhere about Public Houses in Gosport. Will see what I can find and get back to you.

Lesley

Punchs mum
25-03-10, 19:09
Ray.

Yes, as I thought it would be. Sarah (with and h) married James Whitcombe. Witness was Wm? Flowers and the other one was one the resident witnesses!! He was on a lot of the certificates so no relation obviously.

Lesley

raywhit1942
27-03-10, 15:41
Lesley

Wow, what was going on!?
(Just for your amusement and information)

WILLIAM WHITCOMBE FLOWERS
Birth: 07 MAY 1796
Christening: 28 AUG 1812 Saint Marys, Portsea, Hampshire, England
Parents:
Mother: SARAH FLOWERS

JAMES WHITCOMBE
Marriages:
Spouse: SARAH FLOWERS
Marriage: 04 NOV 1804 Alverstoke, Hampshire, England

FREDERICK HUNT WHITCOMB
Christening: 25 OCT 1804 Holy Trinity, Gosport, Hampshire, England
Parents:
Father: JAMES WHITCOMB
Mother: SARAH

and which James?

JAMES CHILDE WHITCOMB
Christening: 01 MAR 1767 Holy Trinity, Gosport, Hampshire, England
Father: THOMAS WHITCOMB Family
Mother: HONOUR

JAMES (Childs) WHITCOMB
Marriages:
Spouse: ELIZABETH DAVISON POLLISFIN
Marriage: 03 SEP 1786 Saint Thomas, Portsmouth, Hampshire, England

or his Son

JAMES CHILDS WHITCOMB
Christening: 03 JUN 1790 Holy Trinity, Gosport, Hampshire, England
Mother: ELIZABETH

siblings;_

CHARLOTTE WHITCOMB
Christening: 27 APR 1787 Holy Trinity, Gosport, Hampshire, England
Mother: ELIS.

ROBERT WHITCOMB
Christening: 14 JAN 1793 Holy Trinity, Gosport, Hampshire, England
Parents:

HENRY WHITCOMB
Christening: 10 JUN 1796 Holy Trinity, Gosport, Hampshire, England
Parents:

and who also!!!!????

EDWARD WHITCOMB
Christening: 18 OCT 1800 Holy Trinity, Gosport, Hampshire, England
Parents:
Mother: SARAH

This is better than 'Coronation Street'!
But perhaps some IGI dates are mis-transcribed?

I'm now looking at some Wills at the Hampshire Records Office, hope to get some further progress?

Ray

Punchs mum
28-03-10, 14:44
Well Ray.........What else can I say except Good Luck!! The Whitcombs give me a headache and they are not even mine !! LOL!

Lesley

Terrianne
11-04-10, 17:06
Hi Lesley

I'd be very grateful if you could look up the baptism for -

George Cook abt 1783 Gosport
Also a married for the same George to Keturah Breach abt. 1812-1815

Many thanks - Teresa

Punchs mum
12-04-10, 09:16
Hi Teresa. Will have a look when I am in town next. Do you know if he was definately baptised and married in Gosport/Alverstoke? I ask because there a quiete a few church records to look through which are difficult to read for those dates.

Update!
Have just checked the 1851/61/71 Census and they all say that both of them were born in Dorking! Can you clarify this for me please.

Lesley

Terrianne
12-04-10, 17:04
Hi Lesley

I think you have found a different George Cook! On the 1841 he is living in Eastbourne with Keturah (Postmaster) - born in county, but I can't find him born Eastbourne. On the 1851 living Eastbourne, he states birth place as Gosport, Hampshire, died 1857.

If you do have the time I'd be grateful if you could just look for the birth around 1783, children all born Eastbourne so maybe married there.

Many thanks again - Teresa

Terrianne
12-04-10, 17:07
Hi again

Just realised why you didn't find him on the census. 1841 transcribed as Coop and 1851 Coock!!!!!! It's a wonder we every find anyone!

Kind regards - Teresa

Punchs mum
12-04-10, 19:01
Hi Teresa. See what you mean!!

Will check out the baptism records for you when I am in town next.

Lesley

kylejustin
13-04-10, 10:00
hi lesley, i was wondering if you look up the marriage of thomas gadd to mary white on 11 mat 1810, at st mary's portsea. i got it from the igi. not too sure its my man, because his wife was christiana mary white, and she was ch. in chichester, he in graffham. but thats the marriage the family has for them.

kyle

Punchs mum
13-04-10, 19:53
Hi Kyle, Sorry but i don't do Portsmouth Look=ups. I only do Alverstoke/Gosport. I know Portsmouth is only a 15 mins. Ferry crossing away but I did not find the Record Office there very co-operative or friendly the only time I went there!!

Lesley

kylejustin
14-04-10, 06:35
sorry lesley, i should have read the places you could look into too!

Christine in Herts
14-04-10, 08:25
sorry lesley, i should have read the places you could look into too!

Winchester has the fiches for Portsea, too. I know, because I've seen them there. Perhaps you can find someone who can get to Winchester?

Christine

kylejustin
14-04-10, 13:57
possibly christine. its not urgent. more like an interest in why this marriage is said to be the marriage.

Punchs mum
15-04-10, 09:15
Hi Teresa.

Checked out the baptisms for your George Cook yesterday but unfortunately had no luck.

Checked out the two biggest and oldest churches in the area and the only Cooks I found were Mary-ann d/o Philip and Elizabeth in July 1778 (difficult to read that one!)
and Jane d/o Edward and Margaret Aug.1781

Sorry I can't help anymore.

Lesley.

Terrianne
15-04-10, 15:37
Hi Lesley

Thank you for taking the time to look for George Cook. I will keep a note of the Cook's you have found in case they slot into place in the future.

Regards - Teresa

raywhit1942
05-05-10, 10:49
Lesley

Have been busy reading some Wills from the Hampshire Records Office! All written in a 'cursive' hand - very time consuming!
Consequently some further look ups for your delight!

These are all dates of Death / Burial:--
(hopefully there may be an age in the record?)

1) Sarah Whitcomb. Her Will / Probate states her Death as 3/2/1834.

2) Thomas Whitcomb - Husband of the above Sarah - Died between 1804 and 1809. At the time he had moved 'across the border' to Westbourne, so possibly he was Buried there??? However it is still worthwhile looking in Gosport as he lived there most of his life and all his Children were Baptised there.

3) Honor Whitcomb. She could have been the first Wife of the above Thomas???? Certainly she was married to 'A' Thomas Whitcombe in Gosport - and had 8 of his Children. I would estimate her demise at around 1780?

Ray

Punchs mum
05-05-10, 18:56
Hello again Ray,

Thought you had made me redundant as I haven't heard from you lately!!

Will see what I can find for you and will be in touch. I still haven't made it to Pompey records Office but still have your list to hand!!

Lesley

Punchs mum
07-05-10, 17:24
Well Ray, Only one result for you I am afraid. In spite of the Study Centre claiming to have Micrfiche Records for burials at Holy Trinity from 1696 I found that they started in 1790! Then they were hit and miss as to whether they could be read!

Hence I was unable to find any info regarding Honor Whitcom d.1780 or Thomas Whitcomb d1804-9. Also, I found that records from that date only stated the name of the deceased and the date of Burial. No other information was included.

I did find the burial of Sarah Whitcomb on 3/2/1834 buried at Holy Trinity Churchyard Aged 67 Abode Hardway. No other information available on the fiche.

Sorry I couldn't help any further.

Lesley

raywhit1942
08-05-10, 10:49
Lesley

Not a bad result, at least I have confirmation of Sarah's age plus her last location (Hardway)

However I'm now very interested to find the dates associated with Thomas Whitcomb her Husband. As I mentioned I've the Wills of both of them, from the Hampshire Records Office, and these confirm several points. First that Thomas was a Wine & Sprits merchant at the time of writing his Will, also he was very well off financially! Sarah's Will confirms that the said Thomas was indeed her Husband - from Children's names.

However were there two Thomas's or just one?

Senario 1:

Thomas born circa 1740 died age 67 circa 1807 having 'Retired' circa 1805 from his Wine & Sprits business. This 'single Thomas would have been married twice, his first Wife, Honor, having died circa 1780.

Senario 2:

Two Thomas's. First one the same as above, date of death unknown. Second Thomas his Son baptised 15/6/1764 (IGI date) Married Sarah Scarlet 24 Sep 1785 (IGI date). Died circa 1807 a very wealthy man, age 45.

Senario 3:

Totally different Thomas. This seems unlikely as some of the Children (Mark Anthony Whitcomb & James Childs Whitcomb) of the first Thomas were heavily involved in business (Brewing) at similar addresses in Gosport. Unfortunately they suffered Bankruptcy, useful for us researchers though as it 'throws up' more documentation & newspaper content!

In my 'web surfing' I came across this site / page which also mentions Thomas Whitcomb as a Gosport Worthy!

http://www.henrycort.net/gqworthy.htm

Interestingly enough the researcher is in the same 'quandary' as me, is there more than one Thomas!!!!!!?????

Confused

Ray

Punchs mum
08-05-10, 11:12
Ray,

Your Whitcombs are elusive aren't they and also very interesting amd totally confusing with so many family sharing the same christian names! Had a quick look at the link you posted but will have a better look later when I have more time.

Have you contacted the other researcher at all?

Lesley

raywhit1942
13-05-10, 09:44
Lesley

I have now contacted the researcher on said link I gave you. He replied that he did have some further info', and he would contact me later as time permits.

I have now fully transcribed Thomas Whitcomb's Will. photo obtained from Hampshire Archives. It does confirm the names of his Children, and I presume that he did die soon after the will was written as his last Daughter does not appear on it, however his Wife's Will (Sarah) does mention her - plus the others. Sarah survived Thomas by about 27 Years. By the way the 'reading of the Will, circa 1805, was very time consuming as the writing is not as we know it!! i.e. Mummy would look like uuuuuy !!! (I believe this style is referred to as Minims) Also the text is 'fundamental' Legalese, so it really needs a 'Legal Brain' to get the 'said meaning heretofore said and thereof' etc etc!!!

Names? Well yes they did recycle a lot, but on the other hand there are a few 'anomalies' like Mark Anthony Whitcomb plus one of his Sons again a Mark Anthony Whitcomb - On the IGI these are about the only Mark Whitcomb's anywhere! I'm now on the track of various John Whitcomb's, who appear to have had a profound financial impact on the early Family. The earliest one I'm looking into lived in London & Hurst in Berkshire - yes two dwellings - and had leasehold? on farmlands in Berks. He might have been Thomas's Uncle, mentioned in the Will, certainly the Berkshire "Estate' did appear in Mark Anthony's Bankruptcy 'assets' one eight part to be exact.

Ray

Punchs mum
14-05-10, 16:04
Well done Ray on deciphering the Will!! That was an achievment in itself!!

Glad you are at last making headway with those Whitcombs and would like to think that in some small way, I have helped! They certainly have an interesting history.

I assume you still want those lookups at the Portsmouth Record office when I eventually get there?

Will be in touch again in the not too distant future.

Lesley

hscott21c
25-05-10, 11:59
I have just joined and would really love some help with the following.

Just as a bit of background, I was born in Hampshire, went to school in Wickham then my parents to our family to Australia. I returned in my late teens and worked at The Green for a company associated with Camper & Nicholson. Now that I am back in Australia I would really like to tie up a loose end to connect my gt gt grandfather to the Brown(e) family / Viscount Montagues.

I grew up with the story, as did my father and his siblings, that Anthony James Brown(e), 1791-1855 Companion of the Order of the Bath was the civil engineer involved with building the Portsdown Hill Forts and that he lived in Portchester Castle. It is believed he died at the opening of one of the Forts, although his death certificate apparently says either Fareham or Portchester. Recently discovered his birthplace was Glasgow, and he was baptised at St Thomas', Portsmouth 3 months later.

Apparently his parents were Anthony BROWN and Elizabeth (Bett?) CAMPION who were married at Alverstoke 2 July 1780. However, I don't know if this Anthony BROWN was a Viscount Browne, whether my gt gt grandfather was born before this marriage, or whether the date is correct. When I found the Pallats Marriage Index 1780 - 1837, the microfiche was only partially copied and didn't show much more than the bride and groom.

Hoping for help with this one.

Punchs mum
25-05-10, 22:03
Hello hscott21c! First can I say Welcome to FTF!

I am not too sure what you are asking me to find. If it is a record of the marriage of Anthony Brown and Elizabeth Campion I think you will find that records of that date, ie 1780 will not show much more information other than the Bride and Grooms names and witnesses names.

Lesley

hscott21c
26-05-10, 03:07
Lesley thanks for your speedy reply. Yes, I was hoping to get a look up showing the witness names in the hope that they were family members.

Can you suggest anywhere else or another way of finding out dates and further details for my gt gt grandfather?

Regards

hscott21c

Punchs mum
26-05-10, 08:10
Hello again hscott21c. I will check out the Parish Records at our local Study Centre for you to see if there is anything else to be found

I suggest you post you questions on the the Research Board as there are some very knowledgeable people on there only too willing to help. Sorry but I do not come into this category!! LOL I can only offer to do Parish Record lookups for you.

Will let you know either way if I can find anything of interest for you.

Lesley

Punchs mum
26-05-10, 17:20
Checked out the marriage of Anthony Brown and Elizabeth Campion for you today and as I have already mentioned, not a lot more info than you already know.

The marriage was at Alverstoke St Marys chuch by Banns and the witness were Mary Mountaine? and as far as I could make out, Benjamin ?. I did photo copy the record but it is not very clear and I don't think it will scan very well.

I did notice that both parties signed the register themselves and not the usual 'X the mark of'!!

If you would like to take a chance with the scan I will need your private e mail address. You can PM me privately if you wish.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Lesley

hscott21c
26-05-10, 23:55
Lesley

Thanks for doing this look up I will PM you for that scan as you have got my interest going now and you never know where / whether info might come in.

Taking up your suggestion re Research Boards.

hscott21c
27-05-10, 11:16
Oh that's so lovely, even though I can't quite make out Benjamin's name. I have seen the surname Mountaine on FreeReg so the other witness's surname is plausible.

Thank you so much - I'll just keep plugging along in another direction to make good on those family stories.

raywhit1942
27-05-10, 23:48
Lesley

Another brick in the wall of Whitcombs!

I have a William Flowers Whitcomb who Married Henrietta Clarissa Freed at 18 JUL 1819 Alverstoke, Hampshire, England - according to the IGI.
I would be very useful to know the Witness names, especially as the Parenthood of William is an issue!
Also Henrietta was about 18 at the time so would have required consent.

Ray

Punchs mum
28-05-10, 07:56
OK Ray,

Will see what I can find. Possibly not until next week now though.

Your Whitcombs are very good building brick walls aren't they!!!!

Lesley