No announcement yet.

1901 - Jackson couple to find please !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1901 - Jackson couple to find please !

Hi all,

These might be a transcript error on Ancestry.......anyway :-
    James (Joseph) Jackson - born c1837 - Bedfordshire
    Mary Ann Jackson - born c1839 - Huntingdonshire

I can find them on the 1891 Census with their two sons -
    Robert James Jackson born 1873 - Gibralter
    Thomas Henry Jackson born 1871 - Malta (he's my GG Grandfather)
    (they are all in Portsea - Hampshire)

Now I'm trying to find them on the 1901 Census (just James and Mary).

I have looked at the Deaths in the 1891 - 1901 timeframe, and there are a couple of possibles, which would mean that James and Mary died between the 1891 - 1901 Census takes.

1896 J/A/S - Mary Jackson - aged 56 - Portsea
    1901 J/F/M - James Jackson - aged 63 - Portsmouth

What's the considered opinion ? Can you locate them on the 1901 Census in Hampshire - ideally Portsmouth........

Because of the surname, I wanted to eliminate the possibility of them being on the 1901 Census before I ordered up the two Death certs above.

Thanks

Simon

Anyone ?

Would be great for a 2nd / 3rd / 4th opinion.

Thanks

Simon

Comment

I have just been trawling through the 1901, and sadly can find no trace of either of 'em! I even just bunged in their Christian names, approx years and counties of birth, and still nowt. I shall have another little go soon - you're right, they are either 'no more', or their names have been badly mistranscribed.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by chrissiebee View Post
        I have just been trawling through the 1901, and sadly can find no trace of either of 'em! I even just bunged in their Christian names, approx years and counties of birth, and still nowt. I shall have another little go soon - you're right, they are either 'no more', or their names have been badly mistranscribed.

Chris
        Thanks for that Chris. I've checked on Ancestry. Does anyone else have other sites to do a quick check ? Then I can rule on a mistranscription.

Simon

Comment

If anyone else would be so kind to do a quick check and give their thoughts that would be much appreciated.

I searched on Ancestry, then I can order the Death certs before 5pm tonight.

I have no doubts that Chris is correct, but another opinion or two may well settle it.

Thanks

Simon

Comment

Anyone ???

Please..........

Comment

Sorry Simon I cant see them..:o

]

Comment

Simon dont know if you have seen this
                Class RG13 piece 3038 Folio 28 page 7

A Mrs Jackson born Ramsey, Hunts Living Fleet which i think is Hampshire isnt it.

She is a widow and living with John Henry Rose , a farmer and his

Sorry got that wrong, she is with a Thomas Buff
                Last edited by Pamdidle; 25-02-08, 19:33.
                Pam

Comment

Thank you ladies..............time to order some certs I think !

Comment

1896 + 1901 Death certs ordered last night - I'll update on this Thread if they were the correct ones when I get them.

Comment

Right - update time !

I got the two certs this morning.

The 1901 Death cert dated 18th Jan 1901 - this is correct - James Jackson, a GGG Grandfather of mine - the address, his son and the son's address all match up on info I already had.

Less sure about the 1896 Death cert of Mary Jackson - 13th July 1896, Royal Portsmouth Hospital, age 56 (that matches)........then in the Occupation box, new one on me.............:-

Wife of _______ Jackson, who's name and occupation is unknown to the Informant of Southsea.

Cause of Death - Morbus Cordis (these two words a bit unclear) - Heart Failure.

Southsea address of the Informant - an AJ Cunningham (6 St Pauls Square - Southsea) - BUT, it also says :- Causing the body to be buried

Registration was done on the day of Death 13th July 1896

Most odd that 2nd one. Anyone shed any light on this please in terms of the informant not knowing who the husband was.

Do you think I've got the right Mary Jackson ?

Thanks

Simon

Comment

Anyone able to add anything ? Please.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon in Bucks View Post
                          Right - update time !

I got the two certs this morning.

The 1901 Death cert dated 18th Jan 1901 - this is correct - James Jackson, a GGG Grandfather of mine - the address, his son and the son's address all match up on info I already had.

Less sure about the 1896 Death cert of Mary Jackson - 13th July 1896, Royal Portsmouth Hospital, age 56 (that matches)........then in the Occupation box, new one on me.............:-

Wife of _______ Jackson, who's name and occupation is unknown to the Informant of Southsea.

Cause of Death - Morbus Cordis (these two words a bit unclear) - Heart Failure.

Southsea address of the Informant - an AJ Cunningham (6 St Pauls Square - Southsea) - BUT, it also says :- Causing the body to be buried

Registration was done on the day of Death 13th July 1896

Most odd that 2nd one. Anyone shed any light on this please in terms of the informant not knowing who the husband was.

Do you think I've got the right Mary Jackson ?

Thanks

Simon
                          Might be interesting to see who this AJ Cunningham is on the 1891 and perhaps the 1901 - assuming this bod is not a member of the family (otherwise he would know whom the hubby was LOL!). Would she perhaps have been in some sort of institution/workhouse? Stabbing in the dark here, unfortunately..............

Chris

Comment

Here's one to ignore!

There's an Allan Cunningham, aged 20 on the 1891 census, whose father is an undertaker, but it isn't him because his initials are AWC not AJ.

Still looking.....

Comment

Thanks Chris and Merry

I'll see if I can find 6 St Paul's Square

Comment

***A little update***

I was still a bit 'iffy' on the Mary Jackson 1896 Death cert - with very sketchy details on her husbands name & lack of home address.

Anyway, I looked into the 1910 Mary Jackson of Portsmouth's death and tried to trace her back to the 1901 Census......................I got a result with that one.

Only turns out that the Mary Jackson that died in 1910 WAS my one. She was living with the other set of in-laws. Although Ancestry only showed her, and not the other two an Edward and Ann Brimecome.

Her age in 1901 was just a guestimate and also her place of birth was stated as N (unknown).

The clincher for me, was that I already know that the Jackson and Brimecome families lived next door to each other in the 1891 Census and the Jackson son and Brimecome daughter then got married in 1892.

So another Death cert has been ordered - that one is the 77th Death Cert ordered in the last 2 years .............I don't want to know how much that comes to !

Always worthwhile checking out the possibilities.

Comment

Simon - don't even THINK how much all your certs would tot up to, cost-wise! Many's the time I have felt a teeny bit guilty about ordering another cert, but it doesn't last long as I am compelled to confirm one way or another another mystery person. It's the only way to be absolutely sure you are on the right track with that person, aren't you? My thread about 'assuming a rellie was a twin' is testament to that.

Good luck when you do receive the death cert you've sent off for......

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by chrissiebee View Post
                                    Simon - don't even THINK how much all your certs would tot up to, cost-wise! Many's the time I have felt a teeny bit guilty about ordering another cert, but it doesn't last long as I am compelled to confirm one way or another another mystery person. It's the only way to be absolutely sure you are on the right track with that person, aren't you? My thread about 'assuming a rellie was a twin' is testament to that.

Good luck when you do receive the death cert you've sent off for......

Chris
                                    Chris,

Thanks for the words of encouragement...........it does add up quite a bit though ! lol ! :p

Well, I got the 1910 Death cert.............and it IS correct.

So my Jackson search for those two Death certs is now over.

Mary Ann Jackson died on 3rd November 1910 at 3 Watermans Alley (sounds like a right rundown place doesn't it ? ) - Havant Street - Portsea.

Senile Decay (cause of Death) - and her son registered the Death.

So success - just wanted to tidy all that up - and thank you to everyone who helped and offered advise. Appreciated.

Simon

Comment

Originally posted by Simon in Bucks View Post
                                      Chris,

Thanks for the words of encouragement...........it does add up quite a bit though ! lol ! :p

Well, I got the 1910 Death cert.............and it IS correct.

So my Jackson search for those two Death certs is now over.

Mary Ann Jackson died on 3rd November 1910 at 3 Watermans Alley (sounds like a right rundown place doesn't it ? ) - Havant Street - Portsea.

Senile Decay (cause of Death) - and her son registered the Death.

So success - just wanted to tidy all that up - and thank you to everyone who helped and offered advise. Appreciated.

Simon
                                      Simon - what a result! Hoo-bloomin'-ray! Well done - nice feeling, innit?

Chris

Comment

Working...
                                      X