George Morris Marshall Wilson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George Morris Marshall Wilson

You would think with a name like that he would be easy to trace.
    He is my gg grandfather.
    c1849 (Warlbeckghine) Coventry, Warwickshire
    I have his marriage certificate 1875 to Mary Elizabeth Dixon at that time he is 25 years
    His death in 1906 was registered by his daughter in Newcastle.
    1881c and 1901c he is living in Newcastle with his family.

His father, according to his marriage certificate is George Wilson and he is a haberdasher.

apart from that I cannot find anything about him or his parents but assume from the names that she was a Morris or Marshall. I thought I had found him and did send for a birth certificate but it was wrong (this one had a father called Richard)

Can anyone suggest any where else I can look to find him and his parents?
    Searching For Pillar, Nichol, Soppitt, Cryle, Wilson, Dixon, Selby.

Hi Sheila
    Is that Newcastle on Tyne or under Lyme?
    Gillian
    User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Sorry Gillian, Newcastle upon Tyne

Comment

I'm sorry Sheila. I can't find anything useful on the censi.
        Was it the 1848 Coventry birth cert you ordered?

The only possibilities I can think of are
        1. That his father had died before the census following George's birth
        2. That his father's name was wrong on the marriage cert (I have one where the groom's forename was written in, instead of his father's)
        3. That he used a different forename as a boy.
        Gillian
        User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

George George Morrison Morrison Weatherby George Dupree
          took great care of his mother
          though he was only 3
          George George said to his mother "mother" he said, said he
          "you must never go down to the end of the town
          if you don't go down with me"

Sorry, couldn't resist!
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Gillian, yes it was 1848 birth.
            I had thought I had found the right family, with a father called Richard and his mother Hannah formerly Sheffield. (same as the birth certificate I ordered)
            1861 census shows George Wilson 1848 Coventry living with his grandparents and they are called Sheffield. so I was sure I was onto the right people - I was so pleased as I had been searching for so long for him and then of course to get the marriage certificate, which I know is right, and his father is stated as being George.

So not sure what to do now. Thank you very much for your help.

She

Comment

Possibly father's name was Richard George Wilson, known as George, but put Richard on the census because it was 'official'.
              Was father alive at marriage, if so was he a witness?
              Mavis
              Dust is a noun, never a verb;)

Comment

Hello Mavis and thank you for replying. I am so desperate to find this part of my family. I have relatives here and in Canada who are waiting to find out about the Wilson side so I feel I am letting them all down as well as myself for not finding him.

Richard is a common name coming down through the family. My grandfather was called Richard Dixon Wilson.

Back to George MM Wilson and father. George Wilson is named as father but the witnesses are Mary Dixon and Jeremiah Dobson - Mary I know of but not the Jeremiah Dobson. on the other marriage certs I have, it looks as if the father has signed as witness but not in this case. Did the father usually sign as a witness do you know?

Comment

Sheila, on most of the certs I have it is a brother or sister or brother-in-law who is the witness, though of course often a brother has the same name as the father!
                  KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                  (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by Just Gillian View Post
                    I'm sorry Sheila. I can't find anything useful on the censi.
                    Was it the 1848 Coventry birth cert you ordered?

The only possibilities I can think of are
                    1. That his father had died before the census following George's birth
                    2. That his father's name was wrong on the marriage cert (I have one where the groom's forename was written in, instead of his father's)
                    3. That he used a different forename as a boy.

Another very likely one is that he used a different surname as a boy - possibly Morris or Marshall.
                    KiteRunner

Comment

By the way, Sheila, what does Warlbeckghine mean? Googling it, the only match that comes up is this thread!
                      KiteRunner

Comment

Thank you for the suggestions, I really do appreciate your help.

Warlbeckghine - I have no idea:o it is on the 1901 census and I cannot make it out to be anything other than that. I did a search when I first saw it to see where it was but could not find anything and assumed a change of name or a very small village that died out. I know the 1901 census is correct as it has the right address and my great grandfather is mentioned.

Sheila

Comment

Sheila, I'm sorry to say I'm pretty sure I can explain that Warlbeckghine, but it isn't going to be of much help. Write it down in really scrawly handwriting and then squint at it from a distance and see what it looks like!
                          KiteRunner

Comment

been squinting and squinting - is it something to do with workhouse - I can make out what could be work ? house or perhaps lane.

I also have in my query box which I had forgotten to mention as I had real doubts on it, what could be George at 13 living with his grandparents - called Sheffield - never heard of this name in the family and there are no Matthews either (the grandfather's name) His father is listed as George - which would be right.

On checking the sheffields out I find another granddson living with them 10 years earlier called Richard Snefd (presumably Sheffield) Wilson which could be an older brother. In this census the mother is given as Elizabeth and if it is Elizabeth Sheffield as it look like then she had two sons before being married to George Wilson (if indeed she did marry him)

squinted again and it could be work ? house

Comment

It looked like Warwickshire to me when I scrawled it down, Sheila!
                              KiteRunner

Comment

using my magnifying glass - which I use a lot on the census forms! I cannot read it as warwickshire on the actual form and after Coventry is says Warw. which is obviously the abbreviation.

I am not very experienced at all this searching yet - do you think the Sheffield family is a possibility? I can research them more but how do you know when you are definitely on the wrong track. is it just when there are no similar names coming down into the family that give you a clue. As I said the grandfather in the Sheffield family is called Matthew, I have not come accross any Matthews at all. There again, Morris (Maurice) and Marshall come down into the family but I have no idea where these names come from.
                                Any advice you can give will be really appreciated.

Comment

Sheila, the Warw. is written in a different hand. I think that what happened is the enumerator misread Warwickshire from the householder's form as Warlbeckghine and wrote that on his form, but the person who actually processed the form knew it should be Warwickshire and corrected it.

As for the Sheffields, I'm a bit confused because I thought you said near the beginning of the thread that you had ruled that George out because you had got his birth certificate and his parents were Richard Wilson and Hannah Sheffield?
                                  KiteRunner

Comment

Well theres a marriage for Richard Wilson and Hannah Sheffield, 1stq 1843 Barrow upon Soar vol 15 page 43 but what good will that do is anybodys guess lol.

I,m confused now and keep covering the same ground and coming up with zilch.

Kite I think its Warwicshire.

]

Comment

I am clutching at straws I know -
                                      it is just that on the sheffield family census 1861 there is a grandson called George wilson and the birth is right c1848 Coventry Warwickshire with a father of George
                                      the birth certificate I sent away for and have here gives his parents as Richard Wilson and Hannah Sheffield and so definitely wrong.

I just do not know where else to look. I am sitting here and once again going through every single entry for a George wilson - I have spent hours and hours on the father and son and apart from this Sheffield entry (which I do not know is even right) I have nothing at all.

I am sure you are right about the addition of the Warw. As I said I am not particularly experienced with all of this and it would not have occurred to me that it was added afterwards to confirm Warwickshire.

Comment

Have you tried looking for the "other" George Wilson (the Sheffield one) on the later censuses to see if you can rule him out?
                                        KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
                                        X