Abbott

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abbott

Hello.i'm looking for the birth off my grandmother Emily Abbott, she was born around 1888-1889 not sure where she was born.

She married my grandfather Walter John Goodbody in 1909 Paddington London England.

The thing is on her married/cert it say Emily Marianne Abbott, that is also on her daughter birth/cert as well, but on her son birth/cert it's Emily Marion Abbott, and on her death/cert it's just Emily Goodbody.

I can not find any birth with this name around the time she was born.
    All her children were born in Paddington London England.

Any information i would be most greatful for.

Jordan

what is her fathers name please - shouldbe on the marriage cert

Iwouldnt worry about marion/marianne- depends on how you say it as how its spelled I guess
    Jess

Comment

It can also be written Mary Ann, so I wouldn't rule out these two:

Births Sep 1880
      Abbott Emily Mary A Shoreditch 1c 99

Births Sep 1891
      Abbott Emily Mary Paddington 1a 12

but we need her age and father's name from the marriage cert so we can find her on the censuses.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessbowbag View Post
        what is her fathers name please - shouldbe on the marriage cert

Iwouldnt worry about marion/marianne- depends on how you say it as how its spelled I guess
        [QUOTE-Jordan,Her fathers name is George Abbott on her married /cert she was 76 when she died in 1965 Paddington London.
        If she had died after 1969 her birth would have been on the death/cert i was told, not sure if i'm doing this right first time,[QUOTE]

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
          It can also be written Mary Ann, so I wouldn't rule out these two:

Births Sep 1880
          Abbott Emily Mary A Shoreditch 1c 99

Births Sep 1891
          Abbott Emily Mary Paddington 1a 12

but we need her age and father's name from the marriage cert so we can find her on the censuses.
          [QUOTE Jordan] her father name was George Abbott on her married /cert, she died 1965 Paddington London age 76, if she had died after 1969 her birth would have been on the death/cert.

Comment

Do you have the occupation of George - it should be shown on Emily's marriage certificate.
            Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
              Do you have the occupation of George - it should be shown on Emily's marriage certificate.
              [QUOTE-JORDAN..Her father's name is George Abbott on her married/cert. I did have a birth/cert for her i got 12 years ago, but it turns out that child died at the age off 3 years old.
              I did get the death/cert to see where she died,and it was the same address as her siblings[which i thought was my part off my family].
              JORDAN[QUOTE]

please can you let me know if i'm replying to these messages right.

Comment

Originally posted by jordan View Post
                please can you let me know if i'm replying to these messages right.
                You don't have to quote the message you're replying to, but if you want to, just click on the "Quote" button at the bottom right-hand side of their message, and it'll automatically be quoted.

You can delete any parts you don't want to quote, and type in your reply below.

Comment

I'm just looking on the 1901 census, and I haven't found anyone who matches your information yet.

What was the occupation (job) given for George on Emily's marriage certificate?
                  Who were the witnesses to the marriage?
                  Does it say she was a spinster?

On her children's birth certificates, is she called Emily (Marianne/Marion) Goodbody formerly Abbott?

Comment

Still drawing a blank. I'm assuming that Emily was living in London, possibly Paddington, but there's nobody with roughly the right year of birth, a father George and a surname resembling Abbott in the area. I've allowed for the fact that she may not have been born in London.

What addresses do you have for Emily and her husband, and when?

Comment

I'm just looking on the 1901 census, and I haven't found anyone who matches your information yet.

On her children's birth certificates, is she called Emily (Marianne/Marion) Goodbody formerly Abbott?
                      Her father George Abbott was a Bricklayer on Emily md/cert.

Charles Edwin Tucker [witness]
                      Thomas Robinson [witness]
                      Yes it does say she is a spinster.

I went to the London Parish Records[LMA], i found two children baptished,Walter Arther Abbott BN 16-08-1887...C 25-09-1887 Address was 49 Hall Place Paddington London.

The other child was Charlotte Annie BN 25-04-1884....C25-09-1887 Address was 49 Hall Place Paddington London.

The thing is on Emily Abbott and Walter John Goodbody they were both living at 33 Hall Place Paddington London.

I've looked on the 1891-1901 census and can not find them. also could not find a birth for Emily at the LMA.

Jordan

Comment

Still drawing a blank. I'm assuming that Emily was living in London, possibly Paddington, but there's nobody with roughly the right year of birth, a father George and a surname resembling Abbott in the area. I've allowed for the fact that she may not have been born in London.

What addresses do you have for Emily and her husband, and when?

The address have i have for them when they got married is 33 Hall Place Paddington London

Jordan

Comment

Yes on md/cert it's Marrianne, on her daughter it the same, but on her son it's Marion....middle name

Yes on the birth/cert's it was Goodbody formerly Abbott.

Emily and Walter had 5 children, i have the birth.cert for my father[Alfred Ernest Goodbody bn 1916 Paddington London.

Then i have the birth/cert for Doris Rose Goodbody bn 1911 Willisdon London.

But do not have birth/cert for the 3 children, the first child that was born was Mable Queen Goodbody she was born 1909 Paddington same year as her parent's got married.

Jordan

Comment

Births Dec 1909

Goodbody Mabel Queenie Marylebone 1a 461
                            Jess

Comment

I'm sure I saw a George Abbott bricklayer somewhere. I'll have another look.

Comment

Found him in 1901. This is the best match I've found so far.

George was born in Barnstaple, Devon, and he's living in Marylebone with wife Bessie and 6 children, including Emma, aged 12, also born in Barnstaple, who might well be your Emily.

RG13; Piece: 114; Folio: 22; Page: 35

Comment

Bingo!

Here's the matching birth:

Births Sep 1888
                                  ABBOTT Emma Marian Barnstaple 5b 445
                                  Abbott Emma Marion Barnstable 5b 445
                                  Last edited by Mary from Italy; 26-02-08, 21:36.

Comment

Here's the family in 1891, including daughter Emma Marian:

Class: RG12; Piece: 1773; Folio 122; Page 27

And here's the marriage of George and Bessie:

Marriages Mar 1886
                                    ABBOTT George Barnstaple 5b 714
                                    ABBOTT William Joseph Barnstaple 5b 714
                                    FORD Bessie Barnstaple 5b 714

There's one spouse missing on the page - maybe George had a brother William who was married at the same time.
                                    Last edited by Mary from Italy; 26-02-08, 21:37.

Comment

Here's Bessie's birth:

Births Dec 1865
                                      Ford Bessie Rhoda Barnstaple 5b 459

and here she is with her parents in 1881:

Class: RG11; Piece: 2243; Folio: 132; Page: 30

Comment

Blinkin eck Mary......

on a Roll!!!
                                        Julie
                                        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
                                        X