Online Newspapers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Online Newspapers

I am looking for a death of a child possibly in a fire in 1886 in Essex. I have looked on uk.olivesoftware but I also seem to recollect The Times being online
    Also how long after the death would the inquest be held? Can you advise please?
    Last edited by jean; 24-02-08, 15:56.
    Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

The times is online- probably via your local library for years 1785-1985 , you have to type in your libary card no as a password usually. My Grt Grandfather's inquest in 1929 was held 3 days after his death .My 19 year old grandfather was summoned "Herein fail not at your Peril ."

Comment

Oh not too long after the death then? thanks
      Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

Inquests are held when there is doubt about cause of death and they are done asap. The only one I've found that was more than a couple of days after the death was for my gt gt grandfather who was drowned at sea. I haven't investigated, but I imagine the delay was until his body was washed up.

The Times Online has been withdrawn from some library online resources and in any case your fire death mightn't have been reported nationally.

First you need to get the death cert which would tell you if there was an inquest, there might not have been.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

You may also find the inquest reported in a local paper of the area.Times online should still be available locally. it HAS been withdrawn Bedfordshire library "virtual" members . So you may have to go into your local library to view it.

Comment

This page of the Wiki will tell you about coroner's records.

~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Times on line is available on Cheshire Libraries website. Click on 'virtual Reference library' from the home page and scroll down. You will need a valid library ticket number tho' ..
              Sue

Comment

Nell - I had been looking on the Wiki thanks for the link.
                Sue - I never knew it was available at the Cheshire libraries - thank you
                Jean

Comment

Working...
                X