Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another 1901 address query.

Hi Folks,

I know I am going to drive you all up the wall again, trying to find yet another address on the 1901 census!

Long story, but I know my Grandmother was living at home in Derby in 1901, and I know she married in 1915. I also know that between those dates she did work as a housemaid at Kedleston Hall (just outside Derby).

I have, however, got her brother's death cert which was in 1911, and Grandmother was the informant. The address given for Grandmother was Trinity Terrace, Derby. I have Googled in that address, and can find no trace on modern maps of Trinity Terrace. Could somebody have a peek to see if they can find this Trinity Terrace on the 1901, as it would be interesting to see if it was perhaps just a lodging house for instance?

Many thanks,

Chris

Have you got a name perhaps of someone who was living there in 1901?

Comment

Does the death cert give a registration sub-district? Was it certified by a doctor - who would presumably be living near the area?
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Or you could contact Derby Local Studies Library:

Visiting the Local Studies Library

Comment

You can search the 1901 census by address (you only have to pay to actually view the record), and no Trinity Terrace shows up, only Trinity Street.

1901 Census of England and Wales Online

Comment

There are some results if you google it, though - it appears to be in the London Road part of Derby.

Comment

Trinity Terrace may of course be the name of a small terrace of houses on a road with a different name.

Comment

This is where it appears to be (found by putting in the postcode of a business with an address at Trinity Terrace):

DE1 2QS - Google Maps

Dentists in Derby - UpMyStreetDE1 2QS. D Loughton. 0.87 miles. Trinity Terrace Dental Practice, 113 London Road. Derby. DE1 2QS.

Derby Accountants, for Accountants in Derby UK01332 293396. 5 Trinity Terrace, London Road, Derby, DE1 2QS .

Comment

Sorry about the delay, folks! Had to shoot off for a tick......

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                    Does the death cert give a registration sub-district? Was it certified by a doctor - who would presumably be living near the area?
                    Nell - Good thinking, Batman! Will dig out the death cert to check.

Here we are - death certified by R. L. Haines (with some squiggles after his name). The registration district is Derby, sub-district Derby. Not a lot of help really. Lily's brother John was living at 37 Manchester Street at the time of his death (although he died in hospital) with his mother Hannah. Hannah lived at Manchester street until her death in 1927.

Chris

Comment

Another little snippet: Hannah Hitchcock is on the 1901 living at 51 Howe Street, Derby. She had been widowed in 1896, and was living at that address with her son John Henry Hitchcock (whose death was in 1911), daughter Annie Hitchcock, and the other daughter - Lily, who was the informant of John Henry's death.
                      So, my aim is to try and plot Lily Hitchcock's whereabouts between 1901 to 1911 (her brother's death), and from 1911 to 1915 (when she got married). I also know for a fact that she worked at Kedleston Hall (just outside Derby), but sadly the archivist there wasn't exactly helpful when I approached her. She told me that it was very unlikely that records would have been kept of servants working at the Hall. I find that a little hand to believe, as I was always thought that these big houses had to account for every bag of sugar, let alone wages!

Am I clutching at straws?

Chris

Comment

Hmmm Lily Hitchcock was only 12 on the 1901
                        RG13; Piece: 3221; Folio: 127; Page: 36.

Still looking!

]

Comment

Originally posted by Northern Light View Post
                          Hmmm Lily Hitchcock was only 12 on the 1901
                          RG13; Piece: 3221; Folio: 127; Page: 36.

Still looking!
                          Many thanks, Northern Light. Yes, I have just about everything on Lily (my maternal Grandmother) except for those intervening years. I would dearly love to slot in two more tiny pieces of the jigsaw. Her daughter (my Mum) is still alive and well at 85 years of age, and she remembers well the stories about Lily being in service etc., and living at Kedleston Hall.

I just can't imagine Trinity Terrace being a house that Lily served in, as it was more likely to have been a lodging place. Strange though, that she wasn't at home with her mother at Manchester Street. Probably had been in a big ding-dong with her mother Hmm, that's reasonable..........LOL

Chris

Comment

Puzzling isnt it lol..

Well I googled and the London Rd area does consist of large buildings and houses and I suppose they could have been used for many purposes from lodging houses to private homes. Maybe Trinity Terrace was a row of houses or shops? A good example is the Liversage Almshouse on London Rd..will keep looking ...:D Good luck..

]

Comment

Don't know if it helps, but I've had a quick look at historical directories, and there's no Trinity Terrace coming up. However, in Trinity Street there was a Nursing Home/Training School for Midwives.

Comment

Mary - Lily Hitchcock certainly wasn't in any nursing profession, but just a housemaid apparently. I did find on Google map this Trinity Road, which was right by The Holy Trinity. I am assuming that 'Terrace' must have been perhaps an offshoot of Trinity Road.

I also found all the other addresses of my large Hitchcock bunch on this map - i.e., Manchester Street, Morley St., Noel Street and lastly Granville Street. They all resided at these addresses at some point (a lot of them born and dying there as well), but notice that this cluster of streets is right over the other side of the city. Seems strange to me that Lily was living at this Trinity Terrace at around 23 years of age, in service somewhere, and not living with any of her close family. Maybe they did have a huge bust-up!

I guess we shall never know...........

Chris

Comment

Unless Lily's family were frightfully posh, she would have had to work to support herself. Most of my female rellies were in service, often as housemaids, or kitchen maids who graduated to being cooks. They usually started at around 12 as my own Grannie did. They lived in as that was more convenient all round, they could start early, work late and have lower wages on the grounds that they were fed and given somewhere to sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                                    Unless Lily's family were frightfully posh, she would have had to work to support herself. Most of my female rellies were in service, often as housemaids, or kitchen maids who graduated to being cooks. They usually started at around 12 as my own Grannie did. They lived in as that was more convenient all round, they could start early, work late and have lower wages on the grounds that they were fed and given somewhere to sleep.

My family ain't posh - that's for sure, Nell! Grandmother always told of her loathing when she was working at Kedleston Hall, having to get up at the crack of dawn to light the huge fires so that the family woke up to a nice warm room. That's how I know she must have been resident at Kedleston, plus the fact that the 'hyce' is in the middle of no-where and all they had to rely upon were horse and carts. Been to Kedleston ourselves, and stared in wonder at these huge fireplaces, the massive kitchen, and tried to imagine Grandmother working there as a servant. This place was home to the Curzon family (one of the Viceroys of India), and a beautiful Palladian mansion it is too. Now owned by the National Trust, and more than worth a visit.

Chris

Comment

Working...
                                    X