1901 relationship check please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1901 relationship check please

Fred Cook b 1864 andw wife Ellen b 1870 Eynsford Kent please.
    They had a 14 year old girl staying with them but does it say what relationship she is to them please?

No, it just says May Jones, 14, visitor, born Torquay, Devon.

Comment

Thank you Mary.
      She is a long way from home at the age of 14 then!!!
      lol

Comment

Lots of girls 12+ were working as domestic servants and many of them travelled a long way. My gt grandmother Emma left her home in Cornwall to work in London when she was a young teenager.

OH's father was a bellhop for a hotel in the West End of London when he was 14 - a long way from his Wales home.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

it just seems extraodinary that they would travel such distances in them days without the communication methods we have today. I dont have a mobile myself but my 3 kids do so that they can keep in touch when away from home. But i suppose they needed to work to earn the money and you have to go to the wherever there was a position available to you.

Comment

I have bee n fortunate enough to be given a copy of a diary of a farmer in 1800s . He travelled to the Isle of Wight by train and boat and walked over 4 miles (the same evening he got there ) for pleasure in one evening. I guess we travel so easily now that we don't really even think about it.

Comment

Well we only keep in touch by phone because we can! Years ago, if your relly emigrated you'd have to wait months for letters to cross.

It's only since we've had airplanes that airmail has made quicker communication possible, and with e-mail and msn etc its almost instantaneous.

But our ancestors wouldn't have missed what they didn't know. I wonder how they did keep in touch though, when so many of them were semi-literate and they didn't have any photos to remind them of what folk looked like, or to send updated images of themselves and family events.
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
              X