Ad Aware (Free)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ad Aware (Free)

I have just scanned my PC and I cannot make out what the results mean. Please can someone kindly advise me.
    After a Smart Scan the screen appears a little like this:First Tab
    Family TAI
    0 0
    next tab
    Privacy (429)
    Family TAI
    Tracking Cookies 3
    MRU 0
    next tab
    Log File

Full of jargon and at the very end ***Privicy (429) appears again.
    When I go to Finish - "There are unhandled objects Do you still want to Finish
    Yes / No. I always say yes as I do not know what to do if I say No. Help Please.
    Margaret N
    DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

hi Margaret tick the boxes of the items its found then click on remove items , I think thats what it says and it should remove the items make sure you are in the right heading of the items found .
    I am not very good at explaining this sort of thing

Comment

Hi All,

As most will know Adaware is a free downloadable program to remove malware and other nasties lurking in your pc.

After you run the program you are given a results page with tabs across the top.

If adaware has found anything there will be a number in brackets at the top of these tabs.

Open any tab with a number in and click the expand + button and place a tick in the top tick box then click remove. The nasties have now gone.

Regards,

Nicksey

Comment

I didnt know that, mine always shows as being removed.

Comment

Nicksey, Thank you for your reply. I am posting the settings that downloaded with the programme and I have never changed them. I cannot see a way to delete the 3,700 itmes mentioned. You sound an expert so your views would be appreciated.
          This is the way that I my settings are ~ just as installed.
          When I click on Settings there are five tabs do you think that I should alter any of these. I just run a Smart Scan once a week.

Browsers: msn default (looks normal)
          Scanning: In four sections: Top Left both items ticked green
          Bottom Left: That first two items have a X then 3 with a check
          Top Right: Check, two X, Check
          Bottom Right: Tuning, Two X X + Two Check
          Auto Scan: TAI set at 10 and next X X X
          Scan at start up set NO Auto Scan is set
          Safety: is set X, Check, Check, X, Check
          UI: Misc, set X, X, Check, X, Sound, Off (ok by me), Menu, Normal
          Log File: All Checked + Limit log to 1

The log tells me that 3,788 Infections found to date (whatever they are) Removed 0 Quarantined 0

I am worried that if I was to run a scan at start up it would take even longer to get going.
          I do not want to lose my ‘cache’ or ‘log in bookmarks’. Other than this do I need to make any changes please?
          Margaret N

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

gawd Margaret that sounds bad all those found and none removed ???????????
            Looks like you arent clicking on the right icon to remove them ??

Comment

Margaret, you don't need to make any changes but you do need to select what has been found & click the "Remove" button at the end of each scan.
              With that many greeblies on your computer, I am not surprised that it is slow starting. In fact, I am surprised that it is booting up at all.
              You will not lose any of your bookmarks or passwords.

Comment

What am I doing wrong please ~I am still unable to delete these files. I have run a smart scan and it has come up today with a few more items to add to the list.
                All I get is the option to Export - When I click on Remove nothing happens.
                On the first tab that I think says Family, that is not showing any items to delete. On the next Tab privacy 431, (I have highlighted this and clicked on remove also export but nothing happens). I also have TAI 3 and MRU 0. When I click on these nothing happens.
                When I look at the log that gives me all this jargon about the number of items found but nothing to click on. I have exported a 'Copy' of the log file to my documents but need to be careful not to delete too much as it lists dll. files and system files.
                I just cannot see the end of the tunnel at the moment.
                Margaret N

Comment

Margaret do you get anything like this? If so all you need to do is tick all the boxes and click next. A quick way to tick them all is to right click on one of them and choose "select all".

Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Wendy, No I have a newer version than the one you show I understood that version. This one I downloaded about two weeks ago and I am wondering if it automatically removes the items when I click on remove. After I do that if I go to settings it asks me if I want to reset the settings.
                    How did you get the image onto this site. I have tried print screen and I only get the option to paste it into word. Thank you for your interest.
                    Margaret N

Comment

Margaret are you sure you have ad-aware ??? what does your icon look like ????as there are sites that sound very similar I nearly downloaded the wrong one the other week.
                      Why did you download a new one and not just look for updates on your old one ???

Comment

Val, When I purchased my new pc last August I forgot to put the programme on and thought of it about 3.0am two weeks ago while on holiday as one does.
                        The programme says LAVASOFT (in the black, red and white fonts) and in a larger font Ad-AWARE 2007 and the bottom right hand corner FREE.
                        It looks ok to me but maybe I have got it wrong. Do you know how I can put an image onto this site please?
                        Margaret N

Comment

sorry Margaret I dont know somebody did it last week but I cannot remember who it was.
                          Must say it sounds like you have the right version.
                          I just tick the boxes on the items I want removed and it removes them, dont really understand why you dont get that option???
                          Maybe it has not downloaded correctly that can happen ,
                          Could you maybe click on the updates and see if there are any??
                          Or is there a facility for repairing the programme
                          If I go into my uninstall programmes and click on the one I want to sort ,it gives me the option to repair it does yours ??

Comment

I just went to my lavasoft icon and clicked on updates and got some so maybe you need to do that
                            my version is 7.0.2.6 is that yours ???

Comment

Val, I have the same number but it is not like the image already on site. I may take a chance and uninstall it and download it again.

If you google laversoft ad aware*free you will see the new screen shot.

Thank you for your help. Hope your laptop and wireless system is behaving now I think we all spend more time sorting problems than real work that we purchased a PC for.
                              Last edited by Margaret N; 26-02-08, 23:40.
                              Margaret N

Comment

Ad-Aware 2007 - Reviews and free Ad-Aware 2007 downloads at Download.com

is that the site Margaret its the one I have downloaded

Comment

This is what your screen should look like at the completion of a scan:-

It you click on the tabs at the top, you should see the things that need removing.
                                  To remove them, click on the box next to each one, and you should get a green tick in the box. If you have more than one box in any screen you can tick the whole lot. Then click remove. Move to the next tab and do the same.

When the items are removed, the tabs at the top will have a 0 in brackets.
                                  If this is not working, then I would uninstall and download another copy as yours could be corrupt....it happens sometimes.

Comment

Val, Yes that is the site and if you read the reviews they are not good. Many items have been removed from the free version.
                                    I think that I will unistall it and either try again as Lynn suggests as I have no entries under any of these titles they are all (0). It is only in the log that it tells me that I have all these problems.
                                    Windows defender says No problems found (words to that effect).
                                    Is spybot the same sort of thing as I may have a go at that.
                                    Margaret N

Comment

Lyn, Thank you so much for your help my screen is like yours but if you read my message above this one to Val you will see how I am placed. Maybe it is corrupt.

How do you get a screen shot onto this site please for future reference?

Thank you for your interest, I have always got a PC problem on the go.
                                      Margaret N

Comment

why dont you install spybot then Margaret ??? and give your pc a scan I always find one picks up what the other doesnt dont know why , you dont need to uninstall ad-aware to do it

Comment

Working...
                                        X