Bullard/Bullwer in Yaxham, Norfolk 1771

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bullard/Bullwer in Yaxham, Norfolk 1771

I have an ancestor Hannah Bullwer listed with that name on her various children's baptism entries and on her own marriage PR entry. All these have variants such as Bulwar, Bullwar, Bulwer etc...

On the 1841 census she is listed as being 71 (unusually unrounded!)...so dob c1770. But she died 4Q 1850 so I can't see a birthplace in 1851...:(

Yaxham is complete on FreeReg (what a magnificent effort!) and there is no record of any Hannah Bullwer (with all variations tried). But there is a Hannah Bullard bap 30 Jun 1771 to parents Augustin & Mary

Can I please claim her as my own?
    Kind regards,
    William
    Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

You'd need to check the original entry and see if it could be Bullwar or variant, to be certain, perhaps some of our Norfolk members can tell you if Bullard/Bullwer would sound similar in a Norfolk accent!
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks Nell - I'll see whether the thread title pulls them in...if not I'll post separately.
      Kind regards,
      William

Comment

Did your Hannah have a son called Augustin? (Not much point asking if she had a daughter called Mary!)
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Quite honestly nothing surprises me in Norfolk PRs - I have a different spelling for one bloke for his baptism, marriage and burial.

I guess you have followed through to see if a Hannah Bullard died/married later on in the parish?

Comment

Thanks for the replies!

KiteRunner - I'm not aware of a son called Augustin - presumably you are thinking of naming patterns? 'My' Hannah had 13 children (ouch!), they were called Henry, John, John, Edward, Mary, Elizabeth, Timothy, Hannah, Jonathan, David, Mary, Mary, Anna (repeats were due to infant deaths).

Given that Hannah was married to Charles (who was son of Charles son of Charles), I'm not sure that they went in for family names. Having said that Hannah's father-in-law was an unashamed philandering so-and-so and they may not have wanted to continue the name. Also, Hannah's mother-in-law was Tabitha...no sign of a Tabitha in the offspring either.

As far as the names are concerned, the first 4/6 are all royal, the last 7/9 are all Biblical...I wonder whether they became more serious about their faith...but that's a bit off this point.

Heather - I'm as satisfied as I can be that the Hannah Bullard who I want to be mine (!) didn't die young. Likewise I don't believe she married. There was one who married MUCH later and so I can discount her.
            Kind regards,
            William

Comment

If the last names were all biblical sounds like you may have a conversion to non-conformists there!

Comment

Working...
              X