Marriage Register

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage Register

couple of questions on a marriage entry please.

I have just received a copy from a marriage register (thanks Kate) of, possibly, my GGG GPs. (I was stupidly expecting to see his occupation on there I really DO know better!!).

Anyway the questions.

Neither name says widower or spinster etc after it - would this necessarily mean they were definitely singletons?

Both say of this parish - I'm guessing this would only mean they lived there at the time and not necessarily BORN itp?

The marriage was by Banns - so they would both be 'of age' (over21)?

Thanks folks
    Rose

Of this parish does mean they were living there at the time of the marriage, not necessarily born there. Doesn't say widow, bachelor, whatever - I don't think that definitely means they weren't widowed, unfortunately. It should say if either of them was a minor, although I don't think the banns has anything to do with that.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks Kate.

I think I will have a good tidy up and put the Fosters to bed for a bit now.
      Rose

Comment

Most of the early (pre-1837) certs I have state "single" or "widowed" so its a pain that yours doesn't.

Marriage by banns means that the banns (announcement of forthcoming marriage) is read on 3 Sundays in the brides and grooms' parishes (where they are living at the time). It has nothing to do with how old they were. It was so people had an opportunity to come forward if there was a problem (ie she can't marry him as he's her real father!).
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks Nell. I always thought if it said by Licence and gave someone's name (the bride's father?) it meant she/they were under 21 and needed permission. If by Banns I thought they were free to choose to marry (legal constraints permitting lol).
          Rose

Comment

No, father's permission for a minor needs to be given however the marriage is conducted. Licence just allows couples to marry quickly (they don't have to wait 3 weeks or so for the banns to be called) and quietly (which might be something to do with personal circumstances, marrying quickly after a spouse's death, or because bride is heavily pregnant or whatever.

You might want to bookmark this site which explains a lot of certificate speak and is quite thorough on marriages:

England & Wales Registration Certificate Tutorials
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
            X