IGI Batch Numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IGI Batch Numbers

Is it possible to find out from a batch number, where the events took place?

I have found several baptisms for one of my families, they look like genuine PRs in that they don't say "submitted", but there is no place recorded.

I've tried looking on Hugh Wallis but its not in his lists - I assume these are more recent additions as they date from 1883-1892.

Any ideas?

Its batch C029509 if anyone wants to look.
    Vicky

Hmmm, just says "Northumberland", doesn't it? I'm guessing they are not from parish registers but I don't know where they would be from. Sorry not to be any help! I know I was reading somewhere recently about where different kinds of batches came from, but I wonder if I can find it again.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

This is where Hugh Wallis explains how the batches work:

IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Christine, thank you for that link, most informative.

Unfortunately I still can't get any further information! I checked the most likely areas - where I know they were living - and have still drawn a blank.
        I wondered if the film would tell me, but I can't even get a film number in order to request it :(

According to the info, these should be genuine baptism records, not submitted entries. There are loads in the batch, and for the surname I'm looking at I know they cover at least 3 different families.

I guess I'll have to resort to trawling the BTs & see if I can spot them on there.
        Vicky

Comment

The article I was thinking of was by Roy Stockdill in Practical Family History Magazine, but I haven't managed to work out where that batch could have come from after rereading the article, sorry!
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Working...
          X