X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA Birth Records Site

Just wondered if this might be of use to someone

USA Birth Records Search, Online Birth Records

Each birth record, the site says, includes parents' names, place of birth, name of hospital and doctor.

It is not free - various rates from $8.99 for three days to $21.75 for five years.

It claims to have over three hundred million births from the early 1800's to the present - also much more including marriages, criminal and divorce records also some Australian and South African records (although I cannot see what years for any of these, so they may be recent).
    Last edited by Muggins in Sussex; 23-02-08, 09:55.
    Joan died in July 2020.

Hi Muggins it looks quite interesting, and compared to some sites its not too dear, thank you for that.

kate
    Kate xx

Comment

Looks promising, thanks Joan

]

Comment

must check that out - may find something about my lot who 'nipped' over the pond for about 4 years in the 1850s...
        Rose

Comment

That looks really promising for my USA research. Many thanks, Joan!

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Muggins

At £9.29 for two years access that's very good value compared to what we're used to!

Read the small print at the bottom - there's also a money back guarantee.

Regards

Helen K

Comment

I'm not entirely certain - now I've registered and paid - just what this site is offering.

It seems to be linked with Ancestry/Rootsweb (as you might expect). It seems to consist of searching other people's databases. I was searching for my grandfather - who certainly appears on the SSDI, but he doesn't show up on that site, nor is he picked up for the 1930 census, even though he's on that - and that's without putting in his middle name.

I had thought I might find a mention of his marriage(s) in the USA, but there's no trace of that.

Christine
              Last edited by Christine in Herts; 23-02-08, 16:56.
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

This is from the FAQ's in reply to a question about why is their service so much cheaper than other public record services.

"We have a good relationship with our public record data suppliers and are able to purchase premium searches at high volume discounts. This allows us to pass bigger savings over to you."

So clearly not using their own databases.

I also saw a reference to a 2003 award for best customer service and wondered why we hadn't heard of this setup before now.

Christine - you could always try for the refund under their guarantee.

Regards

Helen K

Comment

So sorry if this wasted anyone any money - it looked possibly so promising.

Had added the site to the Wiki and am now inclined to delete it
                  Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

I did a search for my great-grandfather's name (Eugen Friedrich) as he is supposed to have been born in the USA, and it said it found some matches but I would have to subscribe to find out more, so I didn't bother. Most likely they would be other people of the same name. I might have paid up if they gave some more details of the supposed matches up front so I could see if any was likely to be him. (His full name was either Eugen Hermann Friedrich or Hermann Eugen Friedrich, born about 1888, parents Carl and Anna, but annoyingly enough the only US census that he would be likely to appear on is the 1890 one which was destroyed!)
                    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by Muggins in Sussex View Post
                      So sorry if this wasted anyone any money - it looked possibly so promising.

Had added the site to the Wiki and am now inclined to delete it
                      It probably should be on the Wiki - but with a caveat that it may not have the records you'd think from the description.

I haven't quite decided about claiming the refund, yet. The fact that that is an option did make me less worried about subscribing... And I don't blame anyone else for the fact that I subscribed. It's potentially useful for some folks, but you need to go in with your eyes open.

Christine

Comment

I had hoped to find some idication of coverage such as
                        "births in NY state 1830-1987" but can't find any indication of coverage.

I may still go for the 3 days one the off chance that someone has my folks on their database.
                        Rose

Comment

Working...
                        X