Going sideways pays off yet again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going sideways pays off yet again!

I was told that my grandparents met because they both attended the same church.

This always seemed a bit shaky to me - they lived in different areas of Manchester, and why my grandmother would choose to walk miles to a church not in her neighbourhood has never really made sense.

Following the receipt of a marriage cert today for her grandparents I decided to follow the siblings of each grandparent, for want of something better to do, lol.

Two of these siblings finish up living either side of my grandfather's grandfather in yet another area of Manchester - is this making sense? So, MY four sets of 2 x GGPs all knew each other as neighbours some 30 years before my grandmother was born.

Not a huge breakthrough I admit, but a nice little explanation of how my grandparents came to meet and why she was attending his church..she was dropping in to see the oldies after church!

OC

Be careful going sideways OC............

That is how I started my unofficial Hawkshead study. Manchester is a bit bigger LOL.

Glad you made a breakthrough though.

Comment

I was looking for the parents of a man, he was married and away by 1841 census time so I decided on a likely family and followed his possible siblings through the census returns. It meant that I had to find marriages to follow the sisters etc etc, always hoping that somewhere one of my family members would be staying on census night. I was just about to give up, thinking I would never find a link, when a name on the page caught my eye. It was the young fellow who would become the son in law of my man, living right next door to the person I was hoping was his sister!

I can just imagine the daughter going off to stay with Aunty for a few days, meeting the neighbours, and the rest is history!!
      Christine
      Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so.
      Mary Jean Iron

Comment

Working...
      X