I wonder what he had done........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wonder what he had done........

I've just been reading the will of my 5xG grandfather John Pigott written in 1792 and I dread to think what my 4xG grandfather Francis had done! :o

John leaves £100 to daughter Ann and lets her off the £400 she owes him.

He leaves the interest and dividends on the capital sum of £500 in Old South Sea Annunities to his daughter Isabella

He leaves the interest and dividends on the capital sum of £400 + leasehold properties in Water Street, King Edward Street to son Gillery

He leaves the interest and dividends on the capital sum of £500 in Old South Sea Annunities + leaseholds in Millbank to his daughter Katherine

He leaves Francis £30 per annum to be divided up and paid on the quarter days in cash into his hands but not if he has taken a mortgage or tried to sell anything!

He leaves £100 in cash + £10per annum to his servant!

He leaves everything else to his eldest son John which includes property in Brookstreet, Soho Square, King street and he has to pay the money to his brother Francis!

Sounds like my 4XG grandfather was abit of a waster! - However I think he had the last laugh as his only child eventually inherited everything as the other brothers had no living sons.
    Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

We are just never satisfied, are we?

That is brilliant detail, but you really want to know more. Did he gamble? Was he easily led? It must have been so humiliating to have to have your inheritance doled out like that. Still, it looks as if he actually got a similar amount to the others, just not in a form he could fritter away.
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

I have a will written in the 1550s, where all the children get roughly equal, if complicated shares of a considerable fortune...all except Christopher that is, who gets nothing because "he has already cost me two LL to bring him into the country"

I would give my eye teeth to know what THAT was about!

Wonder if your Francis pops up in the Debtor's courts?

Incidentally, and slightly off topic, I know a man in his late 60s who has pocket money doled out to him every day by his son. The man is a compulsive gambler and when he was divorced, his outgoing wife insisted on this arrangement. His son now has power of attorney over his father's financial affairs as the father cannot be trusted with a penny. A very sad affliction.

OC

Comment

Interesting point about gambling as my mother doesn't gamble on horses etc at all as she feels that if she started she might not stop. However what is 'goosebumpy' is that I had a long conversation with my 4th cousin who I have never met and her mother is exactly the same as mine as regards to gambling - I think it is quite possible that the 'gambling gene' is somewhere in our family.

Where would I search for debtor's records?
        Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

Comment

Originally posted by Bo the Bodger View Post

Where would I search for debtor's records?

Bo.

I found a couple of mine in the London Gazette
          Pam

Comment

Working...
          X