Abit confusing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abit confusing.

I have been looking for the marriage of my ggg uncle John Young, to his wife Sarah Ann. I have them on the census from 1871 upto 1901. Sarah's birthplace & age varies slightly through the census, c1850 Ulceby in 1871, c1851 and Wooton in 81 + 91 and c 1850 Barton upon Humber in 1901 (all are Lincs). Their first child was born in Brigg in 1867. I found a marriage in 3rd qtr 1870, in Glanford Brigg reg district, for a John Young to a Sarah Crowson. Checking back, I found a Sarah Ann Crowson in Ulceby but born in Binbrooke in 1861 and in 1851 she was in Binbrooke but born in Swinhope.

Would you think that this was all the same person, as Binbrooke is not near Ulceby, wooton & Barton, which are all close by?
    Lynn

I'm a bit confused!

This is what I found when I looked at the 1870 marriage:

Marriages Q3 1870
    CROWSON Sarah Glanford B. 7a 1056
    CUNNINGHAM John Glanford B. 7a 1056
    Reader Sarah Ann Glanford Brigg 7a 1056
    Young John Glanford Brigg 7a 1056

If John's wife was Sarah Ann, wouldn't it be more likely he married Miss Reader?

Comment

Ah yes, Merry, I made that mistake myself, but when I couldn't find a Sarah Ann Reader, that fitted, I checked out the marriage on North Lincolnshire Council - Search for and order birth, death and marriage certificates online
      I discovered that John Young married Sarah Crowson.
      Lynn

Comment

Are the children's details spot on? Are the husband's details spot on?
        It's possible that census details were given by the husband (who may not have been interested in where his wife was born) or that there are two separate women.

Do you have any certificates at all? Another possibility is that Sarah was a widow when she married.
        Phoenix - with charred feathers
        Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

The husband's age does vary greatly, I think the children are about right though. I don't have any certs as he is only a great uncle, just trying to tidy things up really.

I'd be surprised if she was a widow, as she would have only been 20 when she married
          Last edited by Lynn The Forest Fan; 22-02-08, 15:46.
          Lynn

Comment

I nearly said, don't be surprised if she was a 20 yr old widow, lol!

I have several instances of spouses dying within a year of marriage. Widows without children are very difficult to spot, especially if they only quote maiden names when recording births.
            Phoenix - with charred feathers
            Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Have you checked that first Sarah didn't die and he married another Sarah?
              I had this in my family. Both Sarah's were born in the same village and I forget how I found out they were two different women!
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I have a Lewis who married 3 different Mary's and outlived all of them, they had varying ages but were all born in more or less same place.

Comment

There do not appear to be any Sarah Youngs of the right age dying in the area, so I am fairly sure that she is the same one. Her place of birth doesn't vary greatly, once she is married, it is just the place of birth of her before marriage that doesn't quite fit. She seems to give her place of birth as the place she was living at the last census.

Re the question of her being a widow, I would think it more unlikely, as although they appear to have only married in 1870, their first child was born in 1867, unless the mother of the first child was different
                  Lynn

Comment

Working...
                  X