Help with Devon placename

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Devon placename

I have been given a place of death for one of my ancestors - St. Abyn, Devon.

Anyone any idea where it is or what it could be?
    Have looked on multimap but cannot see anything.
    Elaine

i think its st aubyns. try googling that.
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

would stoke damerel make sense? GENUKI/Devon: Stoke Damerel
      Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

St Aubyn, Bere Ferrers, Yelverton, Devon PL20, United Kingdom

This is the address for St Aubyn - if you look on google maps you should find it.
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:
        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Thanks Phoenix - yes that would make sense. Naval family.

I have also got the burial details in Plymouth, with section, plot and row number - but no Church! :(
          Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elizabeth.
            Have now found St. Aubyn in Devonport Deanery which I think is what I am looking for.
            Elaine

Comment

I'm not sure how good my look-up was!

A2A have the following:

A2A - Access to Archives | Plymouth and West Devon Record Office
              Elizabeth
              Research Interests:
              England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
              Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Er, did you click up an extra level? That looks like everything Plymouth has online, rather than everything in a particular catalogue. Edit - ignore me - I'm babbling!

Comment

Had a lucky afternoon!

Have been googling cemeteries in the Plymouth area - found one called Ford Park Cemetery in the Devonport area - sent an email off about an hour ago - just had a reply - correct cemetery, section/plot/grave number confirmed.

Another one to add to my list to visit when we are in the UK in April.
                  Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine, glad to hear you've got grave location, as I think Ford Park cemetery is pretty big. If you can't make it when you're in England, I only live about 16miles from Plymouth, so could do photo for you.
                    Mavis
                    Dust is a noun, never a verb;)

Comment

Thanks for the offer Mavis. We shouldn't have too much trouble as we are sailing into Plymouth, and then out again from there at the end of the holiday - so expect we will have a few hours to spare to wander round.

Ford Park have emailed a plan of the cemetery so at least I know roughly where I am looking, although I don't hold out much hope of finding a headstone. Will just be nice to visit as it is the grave of my 2x great grandmother.
                      Elaine

Comment

Working...
                      X