Anyone suggest a book or website??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone suggest a book or website??

I'm probably becoming boring with this, but it's got me hooked.

What started out as OH's tree went on to become a sort of one name study (with three names) LOL and now is becoming a parish study.

Here's my dilemma: Keep in mind this is Lancashire so a bit different.LOL.

I have traced the Sawrey and Kirkby family name back to the 1200s. Of course they were Catholics back then. Now, I know by the 1600s and 1700s the Sawrey family were mostly C of E,with a few Quakers, however have always kept the name Myles (a more Catholic name) for a son.

I know from wills the Kirkby family tended more to Catholicism, having a few priests in their lot.

The two families intermarried off and on for generations. I have a Catholic Kirkby girl marrying a C of E Sawrey fellow who was on the church board, etc.

I have wills right up to 1848 where money (big lots) were given to old sorts, Baptists, Catholics and Moravians.

Does anyone know where I might find a history of the churches in Lancashire. I can find seperate histories but nothing to tie them together.

Or can anyone come up with another idea??

Libby

I found lots about my Lancashire RC lot on British History online.

I am not quite sure what you are after - there were THOUSANDS of churches in Lancashire and I don't know of any study that deals with all of them.

Stonyhurst College has some fantastic archives re Roman Catholics but I don't think anything much specific is online.

Also remember that the ecclesiastical boundaries for Lancashire were very different from the geographical ones - Lancashire churches and parishes often spilled into Yorkshire and Cheshire and even Devon.

Do you have a general Lancashire area for this lot? I have RC Holdens around Stonyhurst College area. As RCs tended to marry each other, we might have some connections, lol.

OC

Comment

OC..............I have found quite a bit about the various churches, but I am interested in the interaction between the churches.

Sorry, I didn't word the thread well.

A lot of OH's people intermarried between the churches. You didn't even do that in the 1960s, let alone the 1760s. Most seemed to merry in the C of E church, but in wills I find they were Catholic. I've found an elderly connection who has a Catholic Bible belonging to one branch that seems to be all C of E in official records.

Comment

Libby

They couldn't marry anywhere other than a C of E church till the early 1800s. Roman Catholic priests could not perform legal marriages.

The Catholic Bible was used in C of E churches. The Holy Roman Catholic Bible wasn't!

OC

Comment

OC...........being a Catholic myself, I should know the difference between the Catholic and Roman Catholic Bible, but I'm afraid I don't.

The Bible we use now has more in it then the Protestant Bible, so would the Bible Catholics use now be the old Holy Roman Bibile??

The old family Bible I was talking about is the same as the Catholic Bible I have now.

I didn't know about the marriages. I actually thought (stupidly) that RC marriages were performed. I wonder if they were performed "silently" like the Mass and they had the C of E one to be legally wed.

Must do more reading.

Comment

Libby

I have heard (but cannot confirm it via written records) that a C of E marriage would be performed and then the couple would have a Nuptial Mass performed by their Catholic Priest.

The difference between the bibles... Anglo Catholic and Roman Catholic. Anglo Catholic was acceptable and indistinguishable from the C of E, which would have been a very "High" church.

My local parish church (C of E) has a reputation for being VERY High - much higher than the local RC church, lol. When I get a chance I will check the bible in there, but I am almost certain they say "The Catholic church. (Not the Catholic church of Rome)

I will google a bit and see if I can come up with a more reliable explanation.

BTW - Myles Gerrard was the Blessed Martyr I was thinking of, beheaded at the altar in 1590. One of my relatives carried his head around for centuries.

You probably already know this, but it was common for the sons who went off to Paris to study for the Priesthood to use a false name, so that there could be no known association with their family back home. My Miles Holden became Henry Johnson for his stay in Rouen at the seminary.

OC

Comment

LOL......

I thought of your "head" when I was reading a will from a Myles of mine where it divides his "dead things".

Some of these did go to France so I'll check.

Comment

Working...
              X