Shropshire Apprentices c1840/50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shropshire Apprentices c1840/50

William Rogers (who married Rose Hannah Griffiths in 1855) was a bricklayer (as shown in 1851,61,71,81). His father, according to the marriage certificate, was also William Rogers but was a gardener.

William (the bricklayer) was born in or around Shrewsbury in c1830 +/5 years...and as his father wasn't a bricklayer I suspect that he probably learned his trade as an apprentice.

I've googled but failed to find much of any help in following this thought of him having been an apprentice. Any wise words would be gratefully accepted!
    Last edited by wulliam; 21-02-08, 20:15.
    Kind regards,
    William
    Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

You'll need to contact the local Records Office to see if they have the apprenticeship records.

Comment

Thanks Mary - will do that.
      Kind regards,
      William

Comment

Don't be too disappointed if nothing turns up. No tax was payable at this period, it's post old poor law, so local residents won't be subbing poor children of the village.
        Any thing that survives would be a bricklayer's personal records. Bricklayers are one of the most mobile professions I've seen, so chances will be slim.
        Phoenix - with charred feathers
        Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Thanks Phoenix - I'll bear that it mind...but have to try as there seem to be no other pointers unless I buy lots of wrong birth certs!
          Kind regards,
          William

Comment

Working...
          X