Workhouse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workhouse?

Can anyone tell me if there is a difference between "The Workhouse" and "The Death Workhouse"?
    My GG/Gdad died and on his death cert the Doctor signs it as 'Present at the Death Workhouse'

It says he died of [B]Atrophy of the Brain Serious Effusion of Brain[/B What does that mean. Should I be scared that it is herredatory!!!

If he was in the workhouse, how come they describe him as 'Butcher' would he be working and living in the workhouse. I know he had two shops in 1841 and in 1851 his widow and family are in the same street if not in one of the shops. So how come he finished up there?
    Family details I'm looking for:- Edmondson-N/Yorkshire+Salford. Wilkinson-N/Yorks, [B]O'N[/B]eill-Manchester+Ireland?, Hill-Derbyshire, Warrington-Derbyshire +N.Zealand, Makin- Salford, Partington- Prestwich

Never heard of the death work house (probably meant death at the workhouse) basically it means wastage of the brain, old age. It says butcher because it always states there occupation, even if not still employed to do that.

Comment

Not a Death Workhouse but a doctor who was "present at the death" and gives his address as Workhouse. GG Grandad was probably in the infirmary part of the Workhouse when he died - probably he had an illness which couldn't be coped with at home. It doesn't necessarily mean he was destitute. Brain atrophy and effusion sounds like Alzheimer's or similar so he probably wasn't still earning a living as a butcher, though his income might still have come from the shop if it was still in the family.
      Last edited by JudithM; 21-02-08, 15:25.
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Brain atrophy in elderly leads to unintended racism, depression and problem gambling

Comment

Hi, and welcome to the forum

the way I would read that, was that the doctor was present at the death in the workhouse.

Have you had a look at this? It is a page from our Wiki, which lists websites that give "death causes" and their common names.

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...s_%26_Diseases

It might help
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I don't think it was to do with his age, he was only 36 when he died
            Family details I'm looking for:- Edmondson-N/Yorkshire+Salford. Wilkinson-N/Yorks, [B]O'N[/B]eill-Manchester+Ireland?, Hill-Derbyshire, Warrington-Derbyshire +N.Zealand, Makin- Salford, Partington- Prestwich

Comment

Thanks 'Darksecretz' I've just looked up the sites you mentioned and its there,
              Atrophy, "Waisting away, ie muscles"
              At 36 I find it hard to think of him waisting away, but I suppose it could have been something like MS

Comment

Originally posted by Pipeman View Post
                Thanks 'Darksecretz' I've just looked up the sites you mentioned and its there,
                Atrophy, "Waisting away, ie muscles"
                At 36 I find it hard to think of him waisting away, but I suppose it could have been something like MS
                No probs, I knew I heard Atrophy somewhere! maybe he had like you say MS or some other complaint? what year/timescale are we talking here??
                Julie

Comment

Atrophy is wasting and shrinkage. Effusion means seeping of fluid (pus, blood) into a bodily cavity. Sounds like possibly a brain haemorrhage.
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

My GG/Gdad died in 1846, I don't know what medical skills they had. But from what you sayL/Nell, it could have been abit grusume! Have you any ideas about the workhouse .

Comment

My GG/Gdad died in 1846, I don't know what medical skills they had. But from what you sayL/Nell, it could have been abit grusume! Have you any ideas about the workhouse .
                      Which Workhouse is it Pipeman?

might be able to help
                      Julie

Comment

He died 1846 in New Bridge Street Workhouse, Manchester.

Comment

I just noticed a strange thing. The Registrar was william 'Nightinggale' I wonder!!!

Comment

It probably says "serous effusion", not serious. That means leakage of fluid or serum.

Comment

Though I seem to have been wide of the mark with my suggestion of Alzheimer's (why do I always assume a great grandfather must be old) I think what I suggested earlier about him being in the Workhouse infirmary still holds good. This was often the only place to get medical care and the ideas about his cause of death certainly suggests that it would have been very difficult to care for him at home.
                              Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Pipeman,

not sure if you know this but the workhouse still exists today... see below,

www.workhouses.org.uk - The Workhouse Web Site
                                Julie

Comment

Thanks for the infomation on the M/c Workhouse. How is it you folk seem to have all these sites at your fingure tips. I know I need some instruction on working the internet. It seems if you don't put it in exactly you finish up with hundreds of site that not what you (i) WANT Thanks again, I must try and get a feel of thr material. But they must have been H--L places to be sent to. Thank goodness we only have prisons!!!!!!

Comment

Oh Yes, JudithM, I too often get the idea that our GGG what ever must have been old. It must be to do with the old photos we so often see. I had never thought of the workhouse as being a hospital type place. But from a snippit I just saw, it wasnt till way into the 19cent that they had nurses, all care was given by lady inmates. So there is something to be said for our HNS as bad as it can bo on occssions.

Comment

It just a matter of knowing where to find the info, I have been researching now for about 20 yrs, but only really seriously for about the last 8.

If you get stuck, or dont know where to find such info all you need do is ask.. I'm still finding sites that are a mine of info, and our Wiki is a wonderful resource (when you get the hang of navigating it)
                                      Julie

Comment

Yes, people who seem to know a lot more about what is available are just a bit further down the research road. Look back and you will amaze yourself with how much you've learnt.
                                        ~ with love from Little Nell~
                                        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
                                        X