X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Common Lodging House For Tramps

Hope someone can through some light

I have been trying to find Martha Silvester b1840 Dudley Worcestershire

on 41 and 51 with her parents Benjamin and Susannah in Dudley then on 61, I think I have found her in Warwickshire in what I think reads "Common Lodging house for tramps" Then in 71 she is back in Dudley with her parents although her birth date looks dodgy!

What do you think she did to deserve that?

Any thoughts?
    Sara

Researching Clarke, Malpass, Flavell, Bate in Gornal / Sedgley and Hingley, Herring, Wainwright, Parker Stourbridge / Kingswinford

She wasnt probably a tramp - how you would think of one these days, she was probably an elderly lady that couldnt work and had no family to support her.

Comment

She was only 22 ish.....
      Sara

Researching Clarke, Malpass, Flavell, Bate in Gornal / Sedgley and Hingley, Herring, Wainwright, Parker Stourbridge / Kingswinford

Comment

ops sorry misread your original message, sorry. it was probably only a stop gap for the family.

Comment

All you can tell really, is that she was down on her luck on the night of the census.

Could be any one of a million reasons....on her way to somewhere else and it was the only place she could find a bed....working locally and not yet sorted out a proper place to stay...or she MAY have been a tramp in the Victorian sense of the word, perhaps walking her way to London or some other big city in search of work. Many thousands of people did this. Common lodging houses were a cheap bed for the night if you didn't fancy sleeping under a hedge.

Note that she is not in the Workhouse, so she is not destitute.

OC

Comment

Pat,

Do you think? How exciting!

Funny you should say that, Ive just found her brother Benjamin Silvester in 1871 Dudley he is a green grocer and next door is an Emmily Allan and Im sure it says that she is a prostitute (Gosh does it really say that!)
            Sara

Comment

It was a popular line of employment in them days. Well it probably beat being in the workhouse ??

Comment

Working...
              X