Im having a bit of bovver with images

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im having a bit of bovver with images

The last few days Ive found I cant use ancestry as I get there, the headings all come up and then it hangs for ages. I have just been to John Lewis site and when I click to look at a selection of items only some of the images are coming up.

Can anyone suggest what this could be caused by please?

Over use of the handbag section ??

Comment

You *****!!!

No its driving me bananas on ancestry now. I cant get on there or it starts loading up and just stops OR I get the results, click and it hangs again. Is this just me or what? Ive cleared temp files, cleared cookies - I shall scream and scream and scream in a minute.

Comment

I don't know the answer, but you need to say which operating system and browser you're using. XP? IE?

I know a lot of people are complaining about Ancestry at the moment, though.

Comment

Heather,

I have just been over there and when i try to type in the boxes - they move sideways, then the typing is outside the boxes..............I'm using XP.

Jacky xx :D
          Jacky

Comment

I cant even open the first search page now :( I put another thread about this on general as I know a lot of people dont look at this board - seems like a good few are having the same probs.

Comment

I cant get in at all it tries to load but dosent quite make it..

]

Comment

Yes thats how it is for me. The headings come up across the page and thats it - drives you crazy doesnt it. I hope everyone sends an email of complaint - after all we paid for 365 days not the about 340 proper working days Ive had in the last year.

Comment

Nothing to do with the problem you all seem to be having though Heather P T does raise the point about Ancestry being unreliable sometimes.
                  Is Ancestry the best site now . FMpast has so much to offer. I was going through a monthly magezine and looked at the "Genealogist" and they too seem to have some good things. Whilst you can't use Ancestry does anyone have a preferance.
                  Family details I'm looking for:- Edmondson-N/Yorkshire+Salford. Wilkinson-N/Yorks, [B]O'N[/B]eill-Manchester+Ireland?, Hill-Derbyshire, Warrington-Derbyshire +N.Zealand, Makin- Salford, Partington- Prestwich

Comment

Pipeman, You have to be very careful if you use The Genealogist not to do any lookups for other people as they keep a very close watch for that kind of thing. Findmypast also have something about that in their terms and conditions so it is worth bearing that in mind.
                    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                      Pipeman, You have to be very careful if you use The Genealogist not to do any lookups for other people as they keep a very close watch for that kind of thing. Findmypast also have something about that in their terms and conditions so it is worth bearing that in mind.

And it's not just lookups for other people that are frowned on - they also don't like lookups that have been made in order to eliminate people who end up not on your tree!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tilly Mint View Post
                        Heather,

I have just been over there and when i try to type in the boxes - they move sideways, then the typing is outside the boxes..............I'm using XP.

Jacky xx :D
                        This has been happening to me for months on Ancestry - it is a complete pain as everything jumps about the screen whilst it loads - which takes far too long. Sometimes you think it has finished loading, start typing and it all moves again, leaving you in a different box to the one you wanted.Their technical help was no help at all over this and it is one of the reasons I let my sub run out.

I subscribe to a FHS emailing list and there is ongoing discussion there at the moment about Ancestry's merits or otherwise. The general concensus seems to be that, whilst it has the best all-round collection of data of any one site, it leaves a lot to be desired. This is because of technical problems ( not being able to bring up the page you want etc. - the dreaded boy with the noose!) and what is regarded as their cheapskate attitude to transcribing. Folk are saying that, given how much they charge and being the market leader, they should have a more professional job done on the transcribing. People don't like having to submit corrections to something they've paid for.

The trouble is, there really isn't a good substitute and I suppose they know it. Findmypast doesn't have all the censuses which means you still need Ancestry if you are trying to track a family all the way back to 1841.And I wouldn't touch The Genealogist with a bargepole after being on the receiving end of their attitude to paying customers.

I'm suffering terrible withdrawal symptoms without my Ancestry membership but I'm trying to resist them, at least for the time being.

Ann
                        ".... thy memory shall be blest by the children of the children of thy child".
                        Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

I still think ancestry is the very best rescource Pipeman - I think since it changed ownership a few months back they have had some probs and also they have been adding a lot of stuff which always slows everything down.

I STILL cant use it today - this week or so has been the worse Ive had in 4 years of membership. But others have no prob at all - its strange how the probs seem selective. Find mypast and Genealogist anywhere near as good in my opinion

Comment

Working...
                          X