Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yes, I know, Im old and senile but......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, I know, Im old and senile but......

I cant remember how to bring up a village or Hamlets full list of inhabitants on ancestry (not that ancestry is letting me do much at all at the moment).

Im trying to find who lived in Prestleigh, Evercreech, Somerset in all censuses - its only a tiny place and I am particularly interested in the apparent coaching Inn there. Anyone help please (The Inn is called the Prestleigh Inn now)

Just type the village name in the residence box.

Gawd, hEATHER, YOU WERE THE ONE WHO SHOWED US HOW TO DO IT IN THE FIRST PLACE!
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Don't know about Ancestry but this site is quite good for Evercreech

THE VILLAGE OF EVERCREECH, SOMERSET ENGLAND

Comment

I KNOW Brenda, thats the annoying part - Ive entered the village in residence and nothing is coming up at all. Mind you ancestry is playing silly ******s with me at the moment anyway.

BTW Bren, have you got your mobile phone/camera from Woolies yet?

Thanks Trish, its a tiny hamlet about a mile outside of Evercreech - next to the Bath and West showground. Its just it interests me. Interesting stuff on that site thanks - handy for anyone with rellies there! but nothing on Prestleigh
        Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 21-02-08, 13:33.

Comment

If it's just a hamlet, then it probably is listed as part of Evercreech. How about trying Evercreech, birthplace Prest*?

Or reading the emunerators descriptions to find it?

Yes, well, I like the idea of the phone, but two years on I still haven't sorted myself with home broad band! You've seen what a technophobe I am, after all!
          Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Second thoughts, have you tried Doulting? There appears to be a Prestleigh Doulting.

Comment

I put the county in Residence and then the village in keywords, this comes up with everyone living in the village and also everyone born there, I think?

Comment

like this?

and then after you hit search it brings up the whole census list for that place.

Julie
                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks guys Ill have another go but the damn site isnt working for me anyway - its driving me bonkers.

Nope, its just hanging on a blank page again :(
                  Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 21-02-08, 13:54.

Comment

Is this what you are trying to do?

This is what you will get:

1901 England Census - Ancestry.co.uk
                    Last edited by Caroline; 21-02-08, 16:44.
                    Caroline
                    Caroline's Family History Pages
                    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

This link gives info on where Prestleigh actually is, and why searches using Evercreech will not necessarily be helpful:

Doulting Somerset Genealogy

If you use the map link, you need to go 2 squares south to find Prestleigh.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
                        This link gives info on where Prestleigh actually is, and why searches using Evercreech will not necessarily be helpful:

Doulting Somerset Genealogy

If you use the map link, you need to go 2 squares south to find Prestleigh.
                        And if you then go one west you will see the Prestleigh Inn itself near the east edge of the map.

(Apologies for poking my nose in - I can't resist old maps):D

Comment

You poke away Roger, the more help the better. Following on from Phoenix Doulting lead I managed to get into ancestry for the first time in days and actually search. I found the Inn with the Drage family in 1881 - 1891 wouldnt open for me :( 1901 the widowed Mrs Drage still there. 1871 -1841 the rotten site would open for me so I shall have to wait to have a look for the occupants.

Comment

Working...
                          X