Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any ideas on Boosters for wireless???

I have a pc out in the garage on a wireless router
    Have a laptop indoors which has most of the time a terrible signal, tried bringing the router indoors but it would not pick up the internet ??? do I assume its because it was set up on PC as main one.
    I went to a shop to buy a booster he says its very hard to configure unless you know what you are doing ??? is that right ????
    What would you suggest thanks
    Might be off and on if the signal goes

Val,

When you bought your router indoors was it still connected to main pc?

I have never used a Booster, but we have 2 pcs and 2 laptops on our wireless network all in different rooms in the house that work fine.

What connection speed is your broadband?
    Sara

Researching Clarke, Malpass, Flavell, Bate in Gornal / Sedgley and Hingley, Herring, Wainwright, Parker Stourbridge / Kingswinford

Comment

hi Sara no I disconnected it from the pc outside completely not sure what speed I have will check it , would it make a lot of difference then???
      Do you think its possible to buy a new router and use it indoors if the one outside is disconnected thanks

Comment

Thought you used a dongle (sp) if the reception wasnt very strong, know I had to when I had mine in for that 2 weeks , and that was just the router in the next room ;;
        borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

whats a Dongle Babs???? or did you make that up LOL

Comment

Yes, your router should still be plugged into your main pc. Buying a longer length ethernet cable and moving your router may be an easier option.
            Sara

Researching Clarke, Malpass, Flavell, Bate in Gornal / Sedgley and Hingley, Herring, Wainwright, Parker Stourbridge / Kingswinford

Comment

ooh Sara I dont understand a lot of this I was told when I had configured the router to remove the ethenet cable ???? as it wasnt need after.
              I am not sure how putting a longer ethernet cable on would help ???

Comment

Lol Val no I didnt make it up you plug it into the usb hub on computer and it picks up the signal better from router;;;

Comment

Is your router cabled up to your broadband modem and the modem cabled to your main pc? If so You need to relocate your router to a better place using a cable. Or are both your pc and Laptop wireless?
                  Sara

Comment

thanks Babs LOL do you plug it into the laptop or the pc ????
                    Sara both are wireless enabled the router is plugged in to the phone socket not the modem

Comment

Was the Router still plugged into the phone socket when you bought it inside?
                      Sara

Comment

Well I have a tower so had to plug mine into that ,,,so depends which your using if the lap top plug into that ,,,it is just like a ariel really if you think about it ;;

Comment

Hi Sara no I unplugged the whole thing and plugged it into the phone socket indoors
                          Thanks again Babs

Comment

If you ask in computer shop about dongles they should be able to explain better they cost about £8/9 as far as I can remember I got mine with the wireless modem in the box;;;

Comment

I went into a pc shop the other day Babs wonder why he never told me about them ??? probably dont cost enough!!! thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X