Hannah for Susanna?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hannah for Susanna?

My 3xgt grandfather was William Hatherell at his baptism in 1814, parents James and Hannah Hatherell.
    On censi, and at his marriage, he was William Hadrill (and Had*** variations). Father at marriage was James Hadrill.

There is no record of a suitable James and Hannah marriage. There is however a James Hadrell/Susanna Neate marriage in the right place at the right time.

The parish is well covered on the IGI but there is no record of any baptisms for children of a couple James Hadrill/Hatherell and Susanna.

Does anyone know if it was common to use Hannah as an alternative to Susanna in the early 19th century?
    Gillian
    User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Hannah can be used as a variant of Ann. I would think it more likely that the cleric was deaf or forgetful. I have several instances, in different counties, where Sarah is written down as Mary. The only logical explanation I can think of is that they were pronounced Sairy and then misheard.

Are there any Hannah/Susanna Neate baptisms?
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Yes, pretty common in my family at least, where very early PRs have the name as "Sushannah" lol.

OC

Comment

Yes Jill,

I would say it is very likely... Sus-Hannah. I have variations on this name, ranging from just Susan/Susanna/Hannah/Anna...

Best one was Susanna Eleanor Graves. from the 1871 census, she was Susanna Eleanor, 1881 Rosehanna Graves, 1891 Susanna Eleanor Wood. (as she has just married) even on her marriage cert stated Susanna Eleanor... then she vanished.... Hubby re-marries. Could I find a Death? nope, remarriage, nope.

went to the Archives just thought I'd check the cemetery fische, I knew she was on the 1891 and knew when her Hubby remarried, so began searching, didnt take long, I found a death for an ELLEN WOOD. I went to the local reg office, and specified who the husband should be, and a rough idea of the area/street. it was her.

So If I hadnt have looked at the fische I wouldnt have seen her entry, and would still be wondering now where Susanna Eleanor was!!
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks everyone.

Phoenix - the only Susanna Neate baptism online is in Bishops Cannings and the Susanna above was of the parish of Langley Burrell, about 11 miles away. Langley Burrell on the IGI just has two or three female Neates in the 1750s but no Susanna.
          I haven't seen the Langley Burrell registers myself and the name Neate hadn't cropped up by the time my contact looked at them.
          Unfortunately James, the groom, is alone by 1851 and there is no trace of him, Susanna or Hannah in 1841.

OC - Sushannah is a spelling I haven't come across!

Julie - that was a good find!
          Gillian

Comment

I remember a Susquehanna from some American book - Ann of Green Gables?
            Last edited by Mary from Italy; 21-02-08, 18:08.

Comment

Mary - I don't remember the Susquehanna in Ann of Green Gables but, coincidentally, only last week one of my Scottish removed cousins was telling me she has discovered her husband is related to L.M. Montgomery.
              Gillian

Comment

Working...
              X