Howe will FTM cope?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howe will FTM cope?

Following from a thread I'd put on Research recently about my Gt. Grandmother (Lost Louisa) I've now managed to find Louisa, mostly thanks to Jackie, but now my interest turns to her mother, My Gt.Gt. Grandmother Jane, who was a busy lady-

born Jane Winger (as from Louisa's birth cert)
    Married Thomas Marsh 1853 - they have Louisa in 1854

Thomas dies, 1857 -

Jane Marsh then marries a James Nottage in 1858
    they have 2 more daughters and on 1861 census we find Jane Nottage with
    Louisa, using Nottage as surname, with Jane/June born 57 and Sophia born 1860 I haven't found what happened to James in 1861 (still to track him down)

but there is a death in the right area for a James Nottage in Q3 1869

and in 1870 a Jane Nottage marries a John Matthews/Mathams - putting them in Margaretting in the 1871 census -

I have Louisa (using birth surname of Marsh) in 1871 as a servant in Chelmsford area but her Mum, Jane is now shown with new hubby (toyboy some 15 years her junior) John, a new daughter called Alice, Sophia Nottage (marked as daughter in law to John) and William Winger - who I believe is Janes father! As that is Jane's maiden name as shown on Louisa's birth cert.

The best bit about this story in that John is the brother of James Matthews (my Gt. Grandfather) who Louisa Marsh marries in 1871 talk about keeping it in the family! So Jane becomes her own daughter's sister in law! And my Grandfather's Nan is also his Aunty!!!!

Question is I have already got Louisa entered in FTM, I can now add her parents, I know how to add 2nd marriages, so the Nottage entry not a prioblem, but how on earth am I going to relate Jane marrying John Matthews who I have entered already as sibling of James?? And I think I have a Jane entered as his wife, of course when I did that I had no idea of who she was, Will this blow FTM's mind???? Has anyone had anything similar? - my daughter reckons this is the sort of subject Jeremy Kyle would like!!!!!!

Hi Gill

FTM can manage it - it's quite easy as long as I manage to write my directions clearly.

Select Jane and use the Spouse button to create a new spouse. Then click on people on the top menu bar and drop down to Fix Relationship, chose attach spouse and your list of names already in your tree should appear, then just click on the correct person. Hey presto it should be all done. If you get stuck then just ask.
    Good Luck

Helen
    Helen in Glos

Comment

Morning Helen, thanks for that - unfortunately am at work - so will give this a go tonight - I was just concerned as I've entered a Jane??? as wife (taken from census info) of the 3rd husband, and I know how it keeps questioning is this the same person as??? I'll let you know how it goes

Comment

I dont think it will cause any problems for the ftm. Just work through it as you would normally.

Comment

Originally posted by Gill1957 View Post
          Morning Helen, thanks for that - unfortunately am at work - so will give this a go tonight - I was just concerned as I've entered a Jane??? as wife (taken from census info) of the 3rd husband, and I know how it keeps questioning is this the same person as??? I'll let you know how it goes
          I take it by that you mean you added Jane as "Jane ?? " in the wife box? whenever I find a Husband/Wife on the census, I add the Husband as is, and as I yet dont know the wifes MN I add the wife as Jane \\ (obviously when I have confirmed the marriage I then add the wifes MN).

(I have also taken to adding the BMD refs in the "edit">>"notes" part so I have the ref without hunting for it, once I have the cert I remove the ref) it might be an odd way, but it works for me...
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks Heather, I'm sure if I do it one entry at a time I'll be fine - and yes Julie, I have added her as Jane ?? (as obviously didn't have maiden name at time) I assume in this case I need to put in Jane with Thomas Marsh as Jane Winger (MN), but then use her married names as the name she went into the subsequent 2 marriages?? i.e. Marsh to Nottage and then Nottage to Matthews - that's what was worrying me as I think FTM will ask is this the same person as....... I know above reads badly but just can't explain it in words ...no doubt it will make sense as I do it, the only other divorce (or shall we say 2nd marriage) I've done is my own!!! And for that it shows my ex-OH with his first wife, and then me as the 2nd wife, but of course not marrying someone else already in the tree!!!!

and Julie, I also put the BMD refs in the notes part relating to whoever - aswell as in my own folder within documents - to keep costs down I usually only get the certs. for direct lines but am branching out quite a bit now so no doubt to confirm some of my "findings" I will need to get more so having the refs easily to hand helps -

Comment

Jill when you enter Jane ??? as the wife of the first hubby, you will add Winger as her MN. then goto create new spouse and go from there, you will only have to enter her details the once. I have several remarriages, and it works well, as long as you remember to click on the right spouse. lol..

I think I know what you are getting at....
              Julie

Comment

Aaah! Now beginning to make sense - thanks for tip about making doubly sure it's the right 'new' spouse especially as they all used the same names, does it have to be entered in date order?? You see I've got her down as Jane ?? already but this is with her 3rd husband, as yet I've not entered the 1st 2, assume because of the dates FTM works out which order when you print out say a descendant list......

Comment

Originally posted by Gill1957 View Post
                  Aaah! Now beginning to make sense - thanks for tip about making doubly sure it's the right 'new' spouse especially as they all used the same names, does it have to be entered in date order?? You see I've got her down as Jane ?? already but this is with her 3rd husband, as yet I've not entered the 1st 2, assume because of the dates FTM works out which order when you print out say a descendant list......
                  I don't think it has to be entered in date order, as when you add the dates it should self sort? (I am prepared to be put right about that though)..lol. and once you have added the others, when you do a gen report it should show ALL spouses in order. I'm not as "up" on FTM as say Elaine or Glen, but I know what works for me.

If I remember rightly, I did have a second wife with the husband and between the 2 wives they had 10 children, so that was a bit of a muddle, but once I had figured out which children belonged to which marriage swapping them around was easy enough.
                  Julie

Comment

So as an example:

Thomas Marsh marries Jane Winger in 1853, He dies.
                    Create spouse -James Nottage, he dies.
                    (Create spouse -John Matthews/Mathams) But this is the one you already have her connected to.. so just repeat create spouse, and add the dates of death/marriage.
                    Julie

Comment

oK - thanks Julie, that anwsers all queries I had - as I said earlier at work at the mo., so hopefully will be allowed access to my own PC at somepoint this evening - will let you all know how it goes once done.....

Comment

No worries Gill - got the spelling right this time... lol.

dont work too hard. ;)
                        Julie

Comment

Hi all, yep as you said Julie & Heather went quite well, apart from I ended up with 2 wives for John (as I hadn't deleted the Jane?? before I started - I think) so then I merged the 2 Jane's into one - also another error I made was to attach the children from earlier marriage to others - this then meant when I printed out a descendant tree, the kids appeared under each marriage - so I went back in to People and fix relationship and detached child, so they only appeared under the marriage of the parents they belonged to - might make sense for many of you but a good point for the newer users!!! So am quite happy now - just have to get certs. to doubly confirm and head off to the Chelmsford records office to find any Parish records that may confirm other children - now I am getting to know Jane I'm sure there are a few more around!!!! Night - off to watch some telly now................

Comment

Oh lovely Gill,

Glad you got it sorted, is a bit of a pain when you get two lots of kids when there should be one. But now you are finding your way around it, next time wont be so bad!
                            Julie

Comment

Working...
                            X